PDA

View Full Version : Grinding wheels

asjgabries
04-11-2008, 10:15 PM
What is the standard wheel on the mag 9000? Why should or would I use a different hardness?

Two Seasons
04-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Here is the Magna-Matic 9000 link.

http://www.magna-matic.com/sharpeners/mag9000/index.html

I hope this helps you.

asjgabries
04-12-2008, 06:19 PM
not really

Magna-Matic
04-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Hello,

Actually Two Seasons did answer your question, just needed to go a little deeper in the site.

http://www.magna-matic.com/sharpeners/mag9000/specs.html

This lists the Specs of the MAG-9000, the wheel info is at the bottom.

MAG-9000 uses the 9000-23 grinding wheel. If you'd like info about that wheel see here.

http://www.magna-matic.com/grindingwheels/

If you read throught the info page from the catalog it describes the wheels and what hardness differences are.

The OEM 9000-23 wheel that comes on the MAG-9000 is the fastest and coolest cutting wheel we offer i.e. the most productive.

Let me know if you have further questions.

The Grass Guy
04-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Two Seasons, I purchased a harder wheel because I felt the one shipped with the unit was too soft and during my learning period I used a great deal of it up 2/3rds, I however did think ahead and ordered a replacement and the harder one, in my opinion the wheel shipped with the unit is a better wheel, it sharpens faster and seems to run cooler,in the futrue I will re-order the softer of the two. I just love this sharpener and think its just as important as a dependable mower.

Magna-Matic
04-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Hello All,

Grass Guy, you are correct. The 9000-23 wheel that came OEM on the MAG-9000 is our most productive and coolest cutting wheel. Always keep in mind that LABOR costs more than a GRINDING WHEEL. Get the job done faster!

asjgabries
05-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I bought a box of the standard wheels. (The ones that came on the unit) and the wheels only last us a week. We used to get a month or more out of my old RBG grinder wheels. Will the other wheels for sale on your website last longer? Why are they being used so quickly?

Magna-Matic
05-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Hello,

The difference is that the RBG wheels probably burned your blades when you sharpened, cut more slowly, and required dressing. Our wheels are softer so that you sharpen faster at the speed of our sharpeners, and cut cooler.

You should not gauge a consumable, like a grinding wheel by TIME.

How many blades did you do with one wheel?
What is the average time it takes to sharpen each blade?
How much steel was removed per blade, or how many machine hours of wear per blade?
Were the blades being sharpened at 30 degrees, or were you repairing old blades?

Almost all of our landscaping / lawn care pro customers stay with the 9000-23 (I hardness) wheel, because they like the productivity of the wheel. If you are only concerned about WHEEL LIFE, and not with how long it takes to sharpen the blade, we carry harder wheels.

9000-35 (J hardness)
9000-34 (L hardness)

I would first suggest the 9000-35, it is only one step harder than the 9000-23, you don't give up too much performance, but you gain a little wheel life.

The 9000-34 will act much like a RBG or bench grinder, it is very hard, and we do not recommend it, unless "sharpening time" does not matter to you. Because the harder the wheel the longer it will take to sharpen, and the more likely it is that you will burn the blade.

Keep in mind that a grinding wheel is forever less costly than labor time.