PDA

View Full Version : Repair Service

Turf King
12-01-2001, 11:00 PM
Hello evereyone,
I have been mowing lawns and doing general lawn and landscape maintenance now for about three years.I have a few homes that have sprinkler systems.I have been doing some verey basic repairs to them,fixing heads,setting controllers and fixing broken pipe.I would like to get depper in the repair businesse.I really enjoy working on them and I am also eager to learn moore about them.I have done some research on repairing and have found alot of helpful info.I was wondering what tools would I need that you all find effective and if theire are any trouble shooting guides out theire for beginners.Sorry this was so long,but Im just asking for some professional experience!

Thank You
Bryan

I appreciate youre time for reading this,and thanks for any info. :blob3: :blob4:

SprinklerGuy
12-03-2001, 01:39 PM
Shovel, Ohmeter, patience, and a brain will get you past approximately 75/% of the guys out there!!!

Honestly, if you ask more specific questions your chances for getting an answer are alittle better. I could write a book on the questions you asked......and I'm not a writer........

Turf King
12-03-2001, 04:11 PM
Sprinkler guy
Thanks for the info.I am wanting to get equipment for finding valves and what ever else would be helpful.I have also been looking for a trouble shooting guide.I have some helpful tips but I am still looking.Thanks!

DublinLadd
12-04-2001, 01:38 PM
Turfking, eveybody thinks Irrigation is easy and some parts are. Tracing equipment dosnt make everything turn key, YOU still have to find the valve. Ive been doing this for over 17 years and when yo think youve seen it all youll see some more.
It would be my opinion to hire somebody with PROVEN exp. before you go full out .
Dublinladd

SprinklerGuy
12-04-2001, 02:28 PM
I think a troubleshooting guide would help you tremendously, and others as well. Unfortunately there isn't one that I know of. As for getting knowledge, you will have to spend years in the field to get the knowledge needed to be successful and you will need business knowledge as well.

Tracking equipment is only 10% of the solution! 90% of it is the guy running the equipment.

gusbuster
12-04-2001, 11:40 PM
As far as I know of, the only trouble-shooting guide that you can read is the one you wrote from experience. I've been in this business for over 25 years and always get one that stumps me every blue moon.

Some places that you can look for more help are the manufactures web sites such as Toro, Hunter, Orbit, Rainbird ect...

A good source also will be your local irrigation house. (A place that deals 90% with irrigation such as Ewing, Horizon, United Green Mark, Lesco or whatever is in your region) Another source would be trade magazines. One of the best ways to get wind of a new technique or product that's on the market.

Really to be honest, only experience is the best guide. Most of the times when I do get stump, the cause is somebody not following industry standards.

John

HBFOXJr
12-06-2001, 10:33 AM
In oprder to properly service and repair sprinkler systems you have to know how they should be engineered and built. If you don't know that, you shouldn't touch them because it is potentially a disservice to the customer.

Get or download the Rsidential Design book from Hunter.
Hunter Industries (http://www.hunterindustries.com)
It is a start but only very basic. It'll will give how's but not the necessary why's. The "why" things are done a certain way gives you the necessary logic for figuring out solutions to problems that you might not otherwise know was a problem.

Contact irrigation supply houses, not Home Depot or some plumbing place or the Irrigation Association (http://www.IA.org) for design courses. Also contact any state associations or universities that might offer info.

A good sprinkler system is an engineered product. Respect it and know the difference of those that are not, of which there are many.

Turf King
12-06-2001, 05:34 PM
:blobThanks for the info,I have read alot information the last couple of years on irrigation and would like to get my foot in the door.A lot of my lawns have sprinklers in them already.This is where I will start.I believe the best teacher is experience and the only way to get it is do it!I have been on Hunter,Rainbird,and Toro
web-site and found them helpful,thanks.

SprinklerGuy
12-06-2001, 08:08 PM
Someone should really write a practical how to type book. How about irrigation repair for dummies...!

Hbfoxx, have you ever looked at derryberry's book called
troubleshooting irrigation control systems?

How about the software called "clip"

I got my demo from LM today.....not gonna work for me.......you like it though huh?

HBFOXJr
12-07-2001, 08:30 AM
Don't know anything about trouble books. I think the one link to IGIN might be good.

Tell me why Monkey or QBExpress won't work and I'll tell you about clip.

SprinklerGuy
12-07-2001, 09:21 AM
lm by itself won't work because too much of a conflict with my accountant

qbexpress just didn't feel right in the scheduling portion, I think I can write a spreadsheet that would work better. It would of course be double entry meaning take the info from the spreadsheet to the accounting and vise versa, but I could then design it to work better for me.

Clip seemed REALLY EXPENSIVE. The new demo is on its way to me now.

Hear your weather is awesome! Just like ours.

HBFOXJr
12-07-2001, 11:43 AM
QbExpress doesn't appear that difficult to do scheduling. I've played with the sample and am moving forward.

I've set up my chart of accounts, vendors, items I sell and payroll in QBPro. Am preparing to move customers next. Gotta consult with Alocet on how much extra info on a sprinkler system I can move by importing.

QBExpress is going to be loohking like or linking with Outlook for appointment book like scheduling. You'll be able to drag and drop and customer into the schedule. Block off time, move to a differnet day, see one or more crews, etc. True vertically integrated, dispatch software. What's not to like.

Don't start anything new. If you need something do it with a package that exists. Maybe wait a year and see how I do and start the conversion next fall or a few months before your fiscal or calendar year ends.