PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter cross reference for Kawi

lzrj
04-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I've surfed the net and checked my owners manaul but can not locate any oil filter numbers for a Kawi FH721V. I know these engines are common so why can't I find a part number. I do have a part number for the John Deere filter (AM107423) that's on it now but don't want to keep paying their high prices. Does anyone have a cross reference guide where I can find filters for this thing.

tamadrummer
04-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Napa Gold- 1394 basically a Wix filter.

It is the same p/n for my 23hp Kawasaki FH680V engine.

LwnmwrMan22
04-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I've surfed the net and checked my owners manaul but can not locate any oil filter numbers for a Kawi FH721V. I know these engines are common so why can't I find a part number. I do have a part number for the John Deere filter (AM107423) that's on it now but don't want to keep paying their high prices. Does anyone have a cross reference guide where I can find filters for this thing.

I see the previous post already listed a number, but for future reference, just bring the model and serial number to your local parts store and they'll look it up in the computer. Napa, Carquest, Nabpco, Checkers.... any decent national outfit should have one on hand.

Ray&Christine
04-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure if this will help or not but I use a Fram PH4967 on a Kawi 5.5 on my Toro Proline and the same on my 17hp Kawi on my Wright Stander.

BNR LAWN SERVICES
04-12-2008, 01:16 PM
WWW.FRAM.COM look under oil filters outside power equipment. I have 4 Kawasaki engines and they all use a PH4967 filter. The good thing is they are about half the price of an oem filter.

ProStreetCamaro
04-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I use purolator pureone oil filters on all my equipment. It filters out smaller particals better than other filters. If you want I can run out and look and let you know the filter number for a purolator pureone?

WREBELMACHINE
04-12-2008, 02:45 PM
If it is under warranty why bother with aftermarket! Besides I buy them from my dealer for $4.95.

ProStreetCamaro
04-12-2008, 03:59 PM
If it is under warranty why bother with aftermarket! Besides I buy them from my dealer for $4.95.

The kaw and kohler filters are not actually made by kaw or kohler so whats the difference if you use an oem filter or an aftermarket one? Most dealers charge $10 to $11 for a filter and thats why alot of guys dont use oem filters. A Purolator PureOne is half the price of an OEM and most likely filters better. I dont know the exact specs on the oem filters but the pureone filters smaller particals better than most other filters on the market.

PureOne and penzoil platinum in everything I own.

WREBELMACHINE
04-12-2008, 10:00 PM
I would agree with that! But if the machine is under warranty it is not worth taking a risk if there is a warranty problem. I had a friend who blew up a kawasaki L/C using an off brand filter. Kawasaki would not back it and neitther did the filter manufacture! All I am saying is if it had been factory filter on it he would have had some grounds to persue! And when he found out what the kaw filters are sellin for at the dealer he was extremly bummed out!

Bill Kapaun
04-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Kawasaki 3/4" X 16 threads Gasket 2.475"OD 2.173"ID 0.233" thick.
Length" Wix Purolator Hastings Baldwin AC MotorCraft JD Walmart
2.98" 51394 L14476 LF410 B33 PF1233 FL836 AM107423 ST4967
3.4" 51396 L14477 LF413 B37 NA NA NA ST4386

WIX makes NAPA Gold and CarQuest Blue filters. (identical except for the paint job)
For a NAPA filter, use the last 4 digits of the Wix#
For a CarQuest filter, replace the first 2 digits of the Wix# with 85.
Example. Wix 51348 becomes CarQuest 85348 or NAPA Gold 1348.

Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act precludes an manufacturer from specifying only their parts can be used unless they can prove other parts are not up to standard.
The only way the filter manufacture would be off the hook is if they don't list that filter as being suitable for the application it is used for.
For example, MotorCraft are excellent filters, but they don't list L&G applications for them. You would be on your own. The burden would be on the engine maker to prove the filter failed. Of course they can pay lawyers easier than you can.
It would be interesting to see JD claim their FRAM made filters are better are better than whatever else you would put on.
90% of the filters are made by 4 or 5 manufacturers anyway.

Roger
04-13-2008, 07:19 AM
90% of the filters are made by 4 or 5 manufacturers anyway.

I've heard this statement made often, and have no reason to doubt. But, are the manufacturers making the filters to the same standards and specifications? In other words, just because company XXX makes filters for brands AAA and BBB, and CCC, are they to the same specification and standard?

In other industries, some manufacturers make similar products for several brands, but they are not all of the same specification. Can this be true for oil filters?

Bill Kapaun
04-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Wix, NAPA Gold & CarQuest Premium ARE the same filter with different paint jobs.
After that it's a crap shoot. Champion is probably the largest manf. and they make dozens of "brands, from Mobil I to Mitee (found in quick lube places).They run the gamut quality wise. Surprisingly, their Wal Mart filters are pretty good.
Probably one of the best indicators is a ORANGE rubber ADBV, That would be silicon rubber instead of nitrile. Much less likely to harden or warp. An AC can come from at least 3 different manfs. (if Delphi is still in business)

Exact Rototilling
04-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I would agree with that! But if the machine is under warranty it is not worth taking a risk if there is a warranty problem. I had a friend who blew up a kawasaki L/C using an off brand filter. Kawasaki would not back it and neitther did the filter manufacture! All I am saying is if it had been factory filter on it he would have had some grounds to persue! And when he found out what the kaw filters are sellin for at the dealer he was extremly bummed out!

Which filter exactly was it? Any more the this event?

lzrj
04-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Highly likely that the filter was not the cause of an engine failure. Thousands use non-factory filter with no problems. I can see the factory not paying for the egine bc they can just say it wasnt our filter and wash their hands of it. Small engines should have same regulation as motor vehicles under warranty. Auto makers cant deny warranty just becuase their filter was not used.

Roger
04-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Bill, thanks for that answer about manufacturers and branding. I was concerned that just because the filters came from the same manufacturer, they are differently spec'ed filters.

Bill Kapaun
04-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Highly likely that the filter was not the cause of an engine failure. Thousands use non-factory filter with no problems......

How many thousands more use NO filter and don't have problems!

laxative
04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Replaced mine last week. Guy at auto parts store said it's the same oil filter used by a Toyota Corolla.

Joedodge63
05-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Replaced mine last week. Guy at auto parts store said it's the same oil filter used by a Toyota Corolla.

Also the same filter as the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix They are Corolla Station wagons!
I use the fram filter on my Kawi L/C 26 hp. Used them on my 332 Diesel JD as well as my Diesel Dodge Ram and all my cars.