PDA

View Full Version : just mho really

awm
12-02-2001, 10:17 AM
i agree that search is great ,much like having a library of info
on most of the things to do w lawn care.much like reading a book.
now the rub. i think most participants on the fourum
are looking for info and interaction w others in there field.
this interaction is why lawnsite has been so successful. imho
with all the new guys sighning on do we want them to just read the book or participate in active forum discussion.
all knowledge is old stuff to somebody,but a helpful jewel
to others. i know we have the problem of redudancy but
id rather have it that way than only see questions that have never been posted before. a rule against that would i think be
damaging,possibly fatal to the forum.
this in no way is meant to diminish the importance of search.
moderators please accept my appreciation for your work.
dont know where u find the time. i know what im talkin about
is very relevant to your work load,so i apologise up front.
this is my opinion tho. thanks again

AltaLawnCare
12-02-2001, 10:28 AM
I ageee 100% !

:blob3:

jdwilliams1
12-02-2001, 11:03 AM
Me Too, specific questions, although redundant, should be asked again. It allows us to get quick answers and helps to keep some of us a little sharper and up to date!

65hoss
12-02-2001, 11:08 AM
I agree AWM. I would venture to say that there isn't very many questions related to commercial mowing that hasn't been asked. Be pretty boring waiting for the few of them during the year. What would we do this winter? :)

Double D
12-02-2001, 11:36 AM
Here is another thing to think about also. Sometimes we might change our opinion a little bit over time. That mower that we just loved the first time someone asked a question about it, we might have a different feeling about 6 months later. The customer service for whatever company may have called us back 2 days after we just posted and bashed them on the forum, and resolved our problem. Plus, it is more fun to ask your question and have it answered for you.

Craig Turf Management
12-02-2001, 11:47 AM
I'm glad somebody said it! When asking questions on this site, I was always waiting for somebody to throw the Search feature at me.
Bill!

a1 lawncare
12-02-2001, 12:08 PM
i am really new here and the first thing i do is use the search feature, and yes it is great, but if you leave off/out a key word you may have to read a zillion threads like i did the other day when i wanted info on my bp blower shocking me, or yesterday when my dealer suggested opti2 for all my 2 stroke equipment, the things i wanted to know i would have to read another zillion threads to see that 5 people are using the stuff and have been for several years with no complaints. while it does work great i may not want to know that fred got shocked while changing out his battery, or the customer was shocked by the estimate. but i do agree it is very useful, but if your new and don't know how to use it, ie. key words, it is a pain to read all those post that have nothing do do with what your looking for, i do like for someone to mention that it has been discussed before and show a link to it, helps me to use the search function better. all in all i'd give lawnsite two thumbs up.........and the members

keith

mac43rn
12-02-2001, 12:27 PM
you took the words right out of my mouth!

Thanks for speaking up

strickdad
12-02-2001, 12:39 PM
i too agree although the same questions are asked in the broad sense ie; how much do you charge!!! the answers often lead to specifics which are not discussed in past threads..... every day we go out on the job i get asked how much will i charge for??? from my customers, it doesent bother me then and it doesent bother me here...

Lawn Dog2001
12-02-2001, 12:39 PM
I could not agree more. I am not saying the search feature is not helpful, but sometimes its hard to find exactly what you are looking for. I remember back when I started my company, I didnt do ANYTHING right. I would have killed for a place like LawnSite to help me. But at the same time, I think I would have been a little turned off if when I asked for help, I had the search crammed down my throat.

Please keep in mind im not trying to knock any of the mods. here. You all do a great job. But I think when someone is new, and told to use the search everytime they ask a question, it might intimidate them from posting again.

Just my opinion

Lanelle
12-02-2001, 01:10 PM
Ok, guys I hear you and I do understand. Just remember that typing the same answer to the same question does take time and like the rest of you, I have only limited time to spend here. So this is partly why some of the moderators don't post as much as we used to. The search is useful for helping to show the information available and will, hopefully, help the searcher to ask a more detailed question to gain the exact information desired. I do agree that the interaction between members is a very entertaining element of this forum. We would never wish to discourage anyone from participating (unless they are obnoxiously violating the forum rules) :)

MOW ED
12-02-2001, 01:53 PM
This has been discussed already, please use your Search feature for more information.:p

Runner
12-02-2001, 03:19 PM
LOL, Ed!
I agree, that while asking questions, can and does, bring up new and fresh information, it can be brought up about the same way on an old post. If someone has a question, pertaining to, or has close relevency to, the previously used thread, they can ask it right within that old thread, and it WILL get read, because we always read these threads when they hit the top. Sure, many of times we recognize these threads, but we always find ourselves scrolling down, scanning for the recent comment, question or answer on it. Therefore, I think the old threads can be a useful tool, and it will also keep things a quite a bit simpler in the long run.:)

awm
12-02-2001, 03:23 PM
wow ,thought by now id be well roasted on this one.
i hope lawnsite can be a free open and relaxed source
of info and fellowship. to the moderators my thanks,
i dont know how u do it,as i dont think i could do the job justice myself. i do think that this is the way lawnsite will experience the most
progress and growth.thanks an my best to all.

GLS
12-02-2001, 08:05 PM
I also agree with everybody, and I love this site, but the search could be better...Search engines like google etc. let you type in phrases like this- "best backpack blower" and it will give you pages with the exact words "best backpack blower" in order, not just best in one sentence, backpack in the next, and blower in a whole different paragraph. Just an idea, but i'm happy with the site how it is now too.