PDA

View Full Version : full pressure lubrication

Trajan3
04-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Can anyone tell me what full pressure lubrication means. I purchased a Scag tiger cub last year. My manual says the engine can run continously at a maximum angle of 25 degrees in any direction. The engine is a Kawasaki 19hp KAI. It has full pressure lubrication with a spin on filter. I have read the specs on lots of engines, especially larger engines, to see if they have an oil pump to make them handle steeper angles. I thought a full pressure lubrication meant that it was pumping oil regardless of the angle. I don't want to burn my engine up but what type of engine do I need to handle steeper slopes?

VegetiveSteam
04-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Full pressure lubrication does mean it has an oil pump but no you can't run at any angle. I don't know of any engine that you can run constantly at more that a 25degree angle. You can normally run up to a 30 degree angle momentarily but that means just that. Momentarily. Two things happen when you exceed a 25 degree angle. The oil in the crankcase all goes to one side of the engine and may not get picked up by the oil pump. Same thing with the carburetor. All the fuel goes to one side of the bowl and may not get picked up by the nozzle. That is of course the lesser of the two evils. The carb starving for fuel won't lock up your engine like the oil pump not being able to pick up oil will. Another thing the mower manufacturers look at is liability. Anything much over a 25 degree angle probably isn't safe to be on with a lot of the equipment out there. The equipment just isn't made for that.

jkason
04-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Additionally,
Full pressure lube means that there are channels cut into your crank, cam, & piston(s), providing a route for the oil to follow from the pump, through the internal parts, and back into the sump.

BTW, an engine without full pressure lube can only operate on an incline of 15 degrees continuously.

And, some engines have a filter, but not pressure lube. Briggs is famous for that.