PDA

View Full Version : Furniture salesman turned lighting contractor?

MarkOlex
04-12-2008, 02:15 PM
There is a guy in my area who went from selling furniture to a "Lighting Professional". He is installing a 150 plus lighting job for a golf course community using.......plastic bullets that cost $12.97 at Lowes. No I am not kidding. I know his business will be short lived but I am afraid he is going to hurt our industry. I told him he is going to give our industry a bad name. I cannot believe such a high end community could be that dumb. He requested design help from my local distributor and then bought everything from Lowes. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

extlights
04-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Doesn't really surprise me. There seems to be a lot of these guys popping up over the last couple of years. It does surprise me that an upscale community would choose a guy like this, but sometimes even in the affluent communities they pay more attention to the bottom line and not the quality. They'll learn the hard way when service is going to be required and this guy is no where to be found and a true professional won't touch the system.

Pro-Scapes
04-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Good salesmanship will often times take the project. If he talked a good game thats probably why he got the project. He was probably also a fraction of the cost of a real pro.

12.97 huh... i think I can buy a couple of lamps for that.

pete scalia
04-12-2008, 10:03 PM
There is a guy in my area who went from selling furniture to a "Lighting Professional". He is installing a 150 plus lighting job for a golf course community using.......plastic bullets that cost $12.97 at Lowes. No I am not kidding. I know his business will be short lived but I am afraid he is going to hurt our industry. I told him he is going to give our industry a bad name. I cannot believe such a high end community could be that dumb. He requested design help from my local distributor and then bought everything from Lowes. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

This may be of help
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=225478

Lite4
04-12-2008, 10:20 PM
We have a guy in my area. He was a manager for a major shipping company and decided to buy a major lighting franchise that we all know. He just dropped the franchise and changed his name but I am sure he is still selling these systems way cheap and he obviously has no clue about design based on the lighting disasters of his I have seen. He just screwed a landscaper that had been using him, but now she is using me. His systems are riddled with problems, he doesn't stand behind them, and he doesn't return phone calls. He won't be doing this long with me in town. A bad rep travels fast here.

JoeyD
04-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I would promplty deliver a business card to the person in charge of the project and say when this system gives you fits and is beginning to fail contact me and I would be more than happy to install one that will last you forever!

Then hand them a brass bullet light and say this is really what you guys need. nOt a DIY kit that your maintenance crew could of installed.