PDA

View Full Version : 36" wb fixed deck ????

mac43rn
12-02-2001, 01:03 PM
As everyone knows, I am in a search for a good quality cut 36". I have a few more questions. Here is what I am looking at.

- 1. Exmark turf tracer HP 36". As you all know it has the floating deck and 15hp v-twin kaw.

positive - hydro, floating deck, ecs handles, will pull a proslide without difficulty, easy deck height adjustment

negatives - no double blades, heard it mulches poorly in thick fescue and bluegrass (which is what I have on my lawn), no stiping kit. No dealer will let me demo. $4100

- 2. Exmark metro hp 36". floating deck, belt drive, and 15hp v-twin kaw.

positive - floating deck, easy deck height adjustment, $3000

negatives - no stiping kit, no doulbe blades, and ecs handles
will have problems pulling pro slide with belt drive, belt drive, again the mulching, no doulbe blades. No dealer to let me demo

- 3. Gravely 300 pro (2002) - hydro, 15hp v-twin, floating deck, dedicated striper, double blades, damn pistol grips

positive- hydro, double blades, striping kit, will pull pro slide, probalby mulch better due to the doulbe blades

negatives - fixed deck, pistol grips, tough to find a dealer to let me demo, difficult changing height adjustment $3999

gravely 150 - this is the new 2002, but in a belt drive. Price is $2599

- same positives and negatives, just a belt drive

- I tried the pistol grips on the pre 2002 gravely wb and the pistol grips were very tough on my forearms, are the new pistol grips any different from the older ones? No my main question is will this fixed deck 36" scalp. I really like the double blades, and the dedicated striper, Add a proslide to this and I will have some amazing stripes:) However, if it scalps, that defeats the purpose of a great quality cut. I have also been told the it is tough on a belt drive to use the proslide, is that true?

I will be helping my brother mow 10-15 yards in the spring and summer, but my number on concern is quality of cut for my lawn.

Thanks guys and what a great forum!!!

Richard Martin
12-02-2001, 01:30 PM
36" mowers rarely scalp anything even in a fixed deck configuration. I have a 36" Exmark Metro and I can't remember scalping anything.

In spite of what you may have heard a belt drive mower will pull a Proslide if the belts are correctly adjusted.

It is my understanding that all Exmark walkbehinds will have ECS for 2002. The Exmark rep. on their forum here said it so I beleive him.

Double blades are not an option from Exmark but there is nothing stopping you from putting them on the mower. I use them on occasion myself.

The Exmark mowers stripe well without a stripping kit. If you use a Proslide behind the mower you really won't need a stripping kit anyway.

Also if an Exmark won't mulch a lawn very well then chances are there isn't a mower that will.

These are just my opinions and are not to be taken as gospel.

The biggest thing is the one you are having trouble with and that is finding someone to let you demo these mowers.

mac43rn
12-02-2001, 01:51 PM
I agree, I find it very difficult throwing down $3,000 to $4,000 without trying it out

65hoss
12-02-2001, 03:56 PM
My 36" is a dedicated mulcher. It cuts fescue better than the Lazer HP does. With the 36" you can't go wrong.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-02-2001, 08:29 PM
I am using a 36" Scag w/b with a 12.5 kawi..... It's a 95 model year.. and It's a belt drive, with a fixed deck...

I just started running Double gator mulchers, with phenominal results....

Also have been pulling a PROSLIDE around since about 96.. no problems... think it's a great combination...

Fixed deck, Scalping... Not once....

Have no fancy handles or any options.. bare bones workhorse ..

Stick to what works........ and If you cant' try it'''''' Dont' buy it....

Eng Mwr Guy
12-02-2001, 09:00 PM
We tested the Gravely prototypes with the ProSlide and did not experience any transmission or belt problems.

It is doubtful you will experience scalping with any 36" deck.

Seems to be a belt drive would work for you if you are doing only 10-15 lawns weekly.... Keep it simple.

Which city, state & zip are you in?

Barry
Gravely guy

mac43rn
12-02-2001, 09:07 PM
I am located in evansville, in. I have looked for dealers and have found two. Gil's is horrible, all they want to sell me is a snapper. I do have a decent dealer in henderson, but he does not think he will be able to find a demo.

Since I have your attention. Will I have to drill the holes for the pro slide or are they already pre drilled. Also, how are the 2002 pistol grips are they the same as the 2001.

thanks

mac43rn
12-02-2001, 09:19 PM
evansville, in 47715

Double D
12-02-2001, 10:05 PM
I have a Proslide on my 52" Snapper and had to drill out (make wider to one side) one of the holes that was there from the factory to get the bracket bolted on the frame. Not much trouble.

Eng Mwr Guy
12-03-2001, 09:25 AM
Holes are pre-drilled.

Entire machine is new.

Grip force is reduced by 30-50% depending on how you like things set.

I can probably make arrangements for you to demo one in the early spring. If this doesn't fit with your schedule let me know.

Barry
Gravely Ariens Guy

Mark
12-03-2001, 07:09 PM
mac43rn hi this is Mark from

Evansville. You ask me what i use and i prefer Snapper walkbehinds with the loop steering- I use Scag also but don't get the cut of the Snapper-I can't believe Stephans would not let you demo a 36 exmark thats no way to do business. As far a the fixed decks thats all i use all 52" and never have a problem with the scalping but you have to know how to use the machine. You could give Scottys a try he deals in toro and scag hes a great dealer.
Ive never had a prob-with Stephans not letting me tryout a Z i demoed the Lazer 60 with 25kohler but didn't like the way it cut in wet or grass with dew on it so i have use a Toro Z master 62-25hp. Talk to the owner at Stephans i bet youll get to demo and the 36 i wouldn't worry about a floating deck get a fixed.
Marks Mowing Service

casey
12-06-2001, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Eng Mwr Guy
Holes are pre-drilled.

Entire machine is new.

Looks like a good unit with some useful improvements. The double blade bracket should reduce the blowout problems we have with doubles on the Exmark if it keeps the bottom blade above deck lip & the removable front baffles should be a good feature in tall grass. Looking forward to demoing one. If you had an option to pistols & a floater on the 36 I wouldn't even consider the TTHP.

TLS
12-06-2001, 10:42 PM
Everybody talks about scalping with fixed decks !?! Whats with that?? I have never scalped with my 48" fixed and find it darn near impossible to on a 36". The caster and drive tires are out at the edges, so the only scalping you'll do is going over a sharp berm where wheelbase alone would cause it. As for setting heights, I only change the height in the fall and that takes 1 minute! Every yard is cut the same height. Belt drive walkbehinds would have no problem pulling a proslide unless its real wet, or your "festively plump!" :eek:

casey
12-06-2001, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by TLS
Everybody talks about scalping with fixed decks !?! Whats with that?? I have never scalped with my 48" fixed and find it darn near impossible to on a 36". .

Mon. to Wed. spring cuts are done at 2" due to rapid growth. Scalping occurs even with a 36" on certain turf areas at this height.

Kent Lawns
12-06-2001, 11:05 PM
You could have a floating 18" deck with rollers and scalp northern turf on a ballfield cut a 2".

Fixed/floating doesn't affect scalping until 44" or 48".

casey
12-06-2001, 11:09 PM
Have welded additional anti-scalp rollers on our 36" TTHP. More is definately better, especially on the deck sides for working around sloped tree banks.