PDA

View Full Version : tow aerator (core) & tow spreader

Squirter
04-12-2008, 10:20 PM
another dumb homeowner here...

i take care of about 5 lawns (1/2 acre) and find myself renting a walk behind core aerator every year. this must stop...for two reasons. 1. i'm getting too old (and too stubborn to hire the work done) to chase a walk/run behind around the yard. 2. too costly. so, i have a small john deere garden tractor (x300) w/kawasaki that i use to mow grass.

who makes a really nice tow-behind core aerator. i don't want the "el-cheapo" model, i want something that will do a quality job AND will last and last. any recommendations??? are they easily operated frm the seat of a garden tractor??? do they work as well as a walk behind...or do they tend to tear the turf rather than pull nice shaped cores???

ALSO, for the same 2 reasons stated above, i'm ready to buy a high quality (last forever) tow spreader. i was ready to buy a new spyker 288 but came to my senses and realized i could get the job done by parking my big ars on the JD x300 pull behind/tow spreader. any suggestions for "the best" tow spreader??? is it easily operated from the seat of a garden tractor?

mngrassguy
04-13-2008, 05:48 PM
I baught a tow behind aerator from Lesco several years ago. Works great on wide open areas. Tow behind spreaders "suck" IMHO. Maybe I never found one that works good.

Good luck

mowerbrad
04-13-2008, 06:19 PM
John Deere makes one. And I assure you that it isn't a "el-cheap" model and should last you a long time.

Jaon t
04-13-2008, 11:59 PM
I baught a tow behind aerator from Lesco several years ago. Works great on wide open areas. Tow behind spreaders "suck" IMHO. Maybe I never found one that works good.

Good luck

I also use a Lesco pull behind, it works great. Stay away from the pull behind spreader. Look into the Lesco electric hopper. I make a bracket and mount them right on my ztr's. They last us about 5 years with heavy use. Cub Cadet is also coming out with one this year, looks to be the same as the Lesco spreader, might look into that also.