PDA

View Full Version : Intro from Lawn Pro of Clarksville, TN

Lawn Pro of Clarksville
04-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Hello to all...
First I want to say that this is a great site w/ excellent information. I'm thankful that the guys who have been doing this business for awhile are willing to "give back" to the up and comers like myself. Thanks fellas.

Me... I retired from active duty Army about 4.5 yrs ago and did contracting overseas for 4 yrs. I was able to pay a lot of bills off and save some money... if I was single I would still be there. The wife wanted me home and I wanted to be home also. I wasn´t looking forward to the 9 to 5 thing and really wanted to be my own boss. I always enjoyed taking care of my own lawn and helped out my neighbors when needed.

After reading through this forum and others like it, I decide to go in business for myself. I purchased a 6x10 trailer, Hustler Fastrak Z turn mower, a cheap 21¨push mower, Robin 4cycle trimmer, edger and blower. I got a business license and a general liability insurance policy. I designed my own logo and got magnets for my truck and got a nice sign for my trailer.

As far as clients go... I started slow a couple of weeks ago but it is definately picking up. Right now, Craigslist and getting out and knocking on doors seems to work well.

I have a couple of teenage sons whom I have recruited to help me this summer. I´m looking at it as a way to rebond after being gone for so much over their lifetime. Of course they are looking at it as a way to make some money. It´s a ¨win win¨situation for me.

I´m no professional at this now and the learning curve is steep. I live in a large military town with 80% of the military population deployed. My biggest weakness... in a business sense... is when a young wife of a deployed Soldier calls me and asks me for an estimate I give her the going rate for our community but normally they balk at that tell me they are going to get another estimate. I always lower my price and bust my ass and ¨go the extra mile¨to do a good job... sometimes spending 2 times the time on their jobs that I would others. If they remain the majority of my clients then my stay in this business will be a short one....LOL. I´m hoping to get a LOT of word of mouth referrals from them.

Still....I am enjoying what I do....

I look forward to future discussions with the members here.

Respectfully,
Brian

backtobasicslawncare
04-13-2008, 02:09 AM
welcome brain

yea clarksville a big town of military people. good luck with your business and hope you get enough yards.

mike

Lawn Pro of Clarksville
04-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the welcome

Brian

timmac
04-13-2008, 10:31 PM
welcome to the site. i cut in white house, tn and it is indeed hard to get alot of yards here because everybody and their brother is cutting yards these days.

hef37087
04-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Question for fellow Tennesseans...I work part time landscaping and just started mowing a few yrds this year. I work for $30/hr. Is that low or average here. I was told average was 30-45?????