PDA

View Full Version : mower just stopped

STRINGALATION
04-13-2008, 02:43 AM
hello had a rough day today. i was running behind and went to cut my own grass really fast and right as i was finishing about 2200sqft ythe mower stopped instantly so instant that it threww the blade ingager back. when it stopped a little blast of white smoke poped out bothsides. now i cannot pull the string. any thoughts 0r suggestions oh yeah it is bunton mower with an ONAN ENGINE

Bill Kapaun
04-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Sounds like a "former" ONAN engine!

FIXDISS
04-13-2008, 09:49 AM
First thing to check is that the engine is not bound up by an external source. In other words check to see if the belts or other object have the crankshaft bound up. I am assuming there are 2 belts on crank. Since you said it stopped abruptly maybe it is not seized up but bound up. Can you rotate the engine in the oppsite direction at all by hand ?

STRINGALATION
04-13-2008, 10:57 PM
that sounds feasible like maybe the belts broke which would make sense since after it stopped i forced a pull of the rope maybe three total then no more it is at my mechanic right now will find out in the morning

STRINGALATION
04-15-2008, 01:37 AM
FIXXDISS THANKS. I'M NOT TO MECHANICAL I HAVE BEEN TRYING. i'm sure iam mentally capable.

took off the cover and low and behold a shredded belt i cut it off got my mower cocked sideways and the blade belt was wrapped around the transmission belt and wedged in the belt guide. cut that loose. had to loosen belt guide which i later found out is crucial it goes back exactly where it was. ooops i got excited to see torn blades. well my mower fired right up.

now new problem 50 bucks worth of belts is great but bad timing all shops are saying at least 2 weeks behind schedule.

thinking i'm going to try it myself unless someone local has a good mechanic or personal skills looking to make a buck

FIXDISS
04-15-2008, 01:52 AM
That's great "Strings". Replacing belts ain't all that big a deal. Does the mower deck still have a belt diagram label on it ? Heck the worst of it was getting the old shredded belt out of there.

Jason Pallas
04-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Replacing a belt is easy - no big deal. You can do it yourself - if you beg a dealer, they should do it for you though. It's only about a 10 minute job.