PDA

View Full Version : just be a kid.......

A to Z lawn care
04-13-2008, 01:57 AM
ok... now alot of guys on here are criticizing me about just "being a kid" but i dont think you guys realize what it is like today so i thought id fill you in a little..... ok as many of you know our economy is crashing and is is getting harder and harder to find jobs everyday... not to mention that in most schools around the country th majority of the kids are drug addicts... now i would rather be out mowing grass and not ""being a kid"" than get caught up on the stupid non sence... and now a days if you want to get ahead in this world you have to get an early start... if you dont you wont succeed.

Danny

stevenf
04-13-2008, 02:31 AM
"Be a kid" has gotten very hard. My parents gave me my Bronco when I was 17 but I had to pay gas and insurance and go to school. I was working fast food and lawn accounts on the weekends. Now Im 19 in college with gas prices higher then they were two years ago. Only now im closer to being completely independant. Its hard work. Minumum wage wont even pay for the gas it takes to drive to and from work.

Rhett
04-13-2008, 08:35 AM
To be a kid it does not mean you can not work. Believe kids should work but it should not be all consuming. Most important thing is to get an education. Doesn't mean to simply pass but to actually make an attempt to achieve something above average. Second you should have time to make some memories, develope those social skills. Things like taking that trip down state to watch the Tigers play with your buddies. That first formal dance with that gal in math class. I worked full time basically all thru school. Leave at 730 out of school at 3. Work started at 330 until 1130. Get up next day and repeat. Graduate go into military stay 20 years. Retire and get a job. Have a little fun while you can as you are only young once. When that window closes you will work the rest of your life.

griffinz
04-13-2008, 09:45 AM
To be a kid it does not mean you can not work. Believe kids should work but it should not be all consuming. Most important thing is to get an education. Doesn't mean to simply pass but to actually make an attempt to achieve something above average. Second you should have time to make some memories, develope those social skills. Things like taking that trip down state to watch the Tigers play with your buddies. That first formal dance with that gal in math class. I worked full time basically all thru school. Leave at 730 out of school at 3. Work started at 330 until 1130. Get up next day and repeat. Graduate go into military stay 20 years. Retire and get a job. Have a little fun while you can as you are only young once. When that window closes you will work the rest of your life.

That's true. I am 33 and feel like I should be about 22. I didn't get my education right out of school and missed out on going to college with my friends I grew up with.

After working some tough jobs, I went back. Went to vocational school, got that diploma, stayed and got the Associate Degree, then transfered into UGA for engineering school.

Point is, I was 28 going to class with 18 year olds. Don't miss that window. It only happens once. Also, it may seem like time is so slow, but it gets faster and faster, then you are 33 like me!;) Having said that, I know I am "young" to some of the other members. I feel like I am at that edge where I am looking back at youth, and forward to being "older".:laugh:

Don't miss out on a 4 year college education! If you don't have the grades for it, go to a 2 year college and transfer in to your college of choice. But you have to know what the GPA and credit requirements are (before you hit the college credits)... I did this and made a point to see if I could transfer into my college of choice. I did. Man talk about a high! You can go to Vocational Tech school and take non college credits to see how disciplined you are, before taking college classes. Once you start taking these college classes, they will follow you and can hurt or help your GPA for transferring. Go for it!:clapping:

IN2MOWN
04-13-2008, 10:00 AM
ok... now alot of guys on here are criticizing me about just "being a kid" but i dont think you guys realize what it is like today so i thought id fill you in a little..... ok as many of you know our economy is crashing and is is getting harder and harder to find jobs everyday... not to mention that in most schools around the country th majority of the kids are drug addicts... now i would rather be out mowing grass and not ""being a kid"" than get caught up on the stupid non sence... and now a days if you want to get ahead in this world you have to get an early start... if you dont you wont succeed.

Danny

Danny, I think its great you want to work. Set your goals and aim high. Just remember school is #1 priority.

Also, the economy is not "crashing". Trust me, this country has seen harder times then this. My father grew up the son of Irish immigrants in the depression. I know the stories he told me. What we are facing now is a holiday compared to what they did.

Also the majority of kids these day in highschool are not drug addicts. Not even close.

And yes, Ill say the same thing. If you want to then work. But please remember that you have your childhood and teenage years once. After they are gone there is no turning back. Take time out to enjoy yourself. Dont turn into a workaholic before you become an adult or you will get burned out quick.

ALC-GregH
04-13-2008, 10:11 AM
yeah, it isn't as bad as most think. My father had to drop out of school at the ripe age of 13 to work to put food on my grandparents table. He didn't work to make money to buy a mower but to help support the family with food and other necessities to LIVE. Before that, he had to walk 3 miles each way to school regardless of the weather. He was born in 1920 and saw it all as a kid. He's long gone now (rest his sole) but not before he retired from the government after many years working at the Pentagon.

As a kid, do the things that you have the chance to do at your age. Don't wait until it's TOO late.

Atlantic Lawn
04-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Dude, be a nerd, study hard, all A's , go to college make connections with your fraternity brothers and get a good job.....hire someone to cut your 5 acre estate.

ferris_1972
04-13-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree with Atlantic.Work hard in school and be a kid . If you want to do a few accounts a week to make a little extra cash then great. GO TO COLLEGE and get a good job. I work 80 hours a week to make ends meet . Enjoy your youth it will be gone before you realize it .

PHS
04-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Agree with all the rest, work hard but don't skip your teen years and go to school. There's no reason you can't do both, lots and lots of people work and go to school.

This is just my opinion but don't waste your time getting sucked into the "life is so hard these days" mentality, it just drags you down. Every generation has it's problems and these are a far cry from the hardest times this country has faced.

HOOLIE
04-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Geez it's not THAT hard now. There have always been 'druggies' in school. Maybe you've heard of the 1970's?? :laugh:

And NO internet when I was a kid. If I wanted to find out what the best kind of mower was, I had to go to the library or ask my dad.

Sure gas is over $3 now, but when I was 16 I was MAKING barely more than $3 an hour. So that $1 gas still seemed expensive.

deere615
04-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Danny, I am 17. I have been working since I was a little kid. I don't like to get caught up in all that no sence either. I rather be out working too, make sure you study hard for school though. I do usually take weekends of and go up my camp with my family and thats nice. But all week, its usually school, then work all evening