PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Mower Leave Nice Looking Tracks?

BISHOP
12-02-2001, 01:21 PM
I BOUGHT A NEW 48'' SCAG THIS YEAR - ITS A BELT DRIVE WITH A 14 KAW- PAID $2,750 - YOUR BASIC MACHINE.

I'VE NOTICED THAT IT BARELY LEAVES ANY NICE CUTTING OR TIRE TRACKS. I'VE SEEN SO MANY OTHERS WITH COMMERICAL MOWERS AND WHEN THEY FINISH A LAWN IT LOOKS GREAT. WHEN I'M DONE CUTTING THE LAWNS IT LOOKS GOOD BUT IT IS NOT DEFINE & THE LINES LAST FOR A DAY MAYBE.

IS THIS TYPICAL FOR A BRAND NEW MACHINE WITH ONLY 60 HRS ON IT? I HAVE MULCHING BLADES ON IT AND KEEP THE MACHINE IN MINT CONDITION

WHAT MOWERS DO YOU GUYS REC. FOR LEAVING A GREAT APPEARANCE ON A LAWN WHEN YOUR DONE CUTTING?

IS THIS TYPICAL FOR SCAG MOWERS?

BISHOP of CCL :alien:

Runner
12-02-2001, 01:40 PM
Yes, this is typical for Scag mowers. I don't know if it's that they don't have quite the blade tip speed as some others do, or what. Are you maintaining the same lines over and over again? Or, are you tracking off your original two sets by a little bit. (or however many)? Many times, if you're cutting in four different directions, it takes a LONG time for these stripes to relly get set in, and even with that, they still never stand out like just two direction (regular checker) stripes do. The only way to make quadra-directional stripes really stand out, is to double cut it each time, doing the oldest two directions each time you visit. For small areas, though, this isn't all that bad, because you don't have to re do your borders, and you don't have to be so precise and careful on the trimming. i.e. you don't have to go all the way around things - they're already mowed around. In heavy growth, you'll find that double cutting will get much better results, anyway. You may also want to look into running doubles (blades), if you haven't already done so.

odin
12-02-2001, 02:46 PM
Do you have the stiff deck scagg or the floating deck scagg ultimate ?The floating deck for us has been great and it stripes great.But our stiff deck for some reason does not give as good of
a cut.I think the reason is its hard to get a good deck pitch on the stiff decks. You might want to see if the deck pitch is 1/4 lower in the front than in the back of the deck

65hoss
12-02-2001, 02:50 PM
You may need to make you a chain setup to go behind the scag

groundsguy1970
12-02-2001, 02:57 PM
:rolleyes: Seems like someone is waiting for a link to another brand?
What other mowers have you considered besides a SCAG?

Also- all caps is a no-no makes it look like you're yellin....
but YOU knew that! ;)

Nick
12-02-2001, 03:33 PM
I have one and it stripes better with double blades and always make sure the deck pitch is set right, this is probably most important

odin
12-02-2001, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Nick
make sure the deck pitch is set right, this is probably most important

Nick you are right on the money there also like 65 hoss said a chain stripping rig does wonders.

BISHOP
12-02-2001, 04:00 PM
I'm fairly new to the business so I don't really know what a chain setup is. I keep the mower on the same lenght as the dealer gave it to me. I also looked at Exmark's but the dealer wouldn't give me lower price than retail.
The scag dealership in my area is well know, they treat me well, the service is great and most of my competition use Scags. That is mainly why I purchased a scag & also got the dealer down about $400.00

further info would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bishop of CCL :alien:

Chopper Lover
12-02-2001, 05:07 PM
Bishop...

I have a Scag 36" fixed deck that did not stripe well. I set it up with double blades (Scag High Lift blades on the bottom and Gator Magnum Mulchers on top) and it stripes fine.

Sometimes the deck angle has a lot to do with stripes, sometimes it is the clearance of the blades to the underside of the deck. Sometimes it is both and sometimes neither. Experiment and see what you come up with. I have one spacer under the front caster arm and 3 on top. I also have only two spacers between the spindle and the blades.

If you want to learn about striping and striping kits, do a search. There are numerous examples to base yours on.

Good Luck,
Mark

LAWNGODFATHER
12-02-2001, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by BISHOP
I keep the mower on the same lenght as the dealer gave it to me. I also looked at Exmark's but the dealer wouldn't give me lower price than retail.

That is mainly why I purchased a scag & also got the dealer down about $400.00

So what "lenght" do you use the mower at?

Oh you mean "Height".

And that's another common mistake made in this industry "dealer wouldn't give me lower price than retail"

So to save $400 you bought a different brand.

$400 in the long run will make you more than $400 damn dollars.

The biggest mistake in the industry is penny pinching on equipment.

DUMB!!!

DUMB!!!

DUMB!!!

Always buy the best tool for the job. That would be like buying a hammer to drive a screw in.

BTW my mower doesn't make tracks, it stripes LOL

BISHOP
12-02-2001, 07:12 PM
LAWN Godfather,

You don't have to be so harsh, I'm new to the landscaping biz so excuse my lingo. I didn't purchase the scag because it was $400.00 cheaper than the exmark. ( both brands were in the same price range ) Why should i purchase a mower from a dealer at a price anyone that walks in can get -

Don't you think I should get a price break on a mower after I purchased $2,000 + in blowers from this dealer a few months before?

I think so

Scag48
12-03-2001, 12:55 AM
A big problem with lawn guys these days is that they don't buy the right mower or whatever for a job and then go and say "Well, ya know, it just doesn't work right". $400 isn't that much right now OR in the long run. Who cares if you bought $2,000 plus in blowers and stuff, $400 isn't that much. Since you're a new guy, BISHOP, how'd you spend $2,000 + on blowers and stuff? Trimmer $350
Blower $450
Edger $350
That's a total of $1,150
2 trimmers $700
2 Blowers $900
1 edger $350
Total of $1950
So you have to buy 2 trimmers, 2 blowers, and an edger to come up with 2 grand. I don't know why a "new guy" would need so much equipment but hey, more equipment, more power to ya. The morale is don't skimp where it counts. You could probably get away with buying a fairly cheap blower. Heck, they are probably the least used equipment on a weekly mowing schedule. If you use yours for 10 mins at 1 job, and do 10 jobs, that's 100 mins, hour and 40 mins. Same schedule for 5 days, that's 8.3 hours of use a week. Trimmers get used alot more. Don't buy a cheap trimmer like I did. Even though mine runs fine and is 3 years old, it gets it share of abuse. On an average week for me, I use mine for about 4 hours, but I only have 5 jobs. Them big ones take a while...
Now, mowers are the key to your whole business. Your mower blows up, kiss your azz goodbye if you don't have a backup and are in prime growing season. If you're lucky to get another one to finish your work, that's great and you're in good shape. Does that Scag dealer give you a backup if yours is in the shop? Maybe the Exmark place does but I dunno, check out these things. I'd gladly pay $400 more for a better mower with a good dealer. Kinda have to do your homework before you make some serious investments in toys that are $4,000 and up. My .02

LAWNGODFATHER
12-03-2001, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by BISHOP
LAWN Godfather,

You don't have to be so harsh, I'm new to the landscaping biz so excuse my lingo. I didn't purchase the scag because it was $400.00 cheaper than the exmark. ( both brands were in the same price range ) Why should i purchase a mower from a dealer at a price anyone that walks in can get -

Don't you think I should get a price break on a mower after I purchased $2,000 + in blowers from this dealer a few months before?

I think so

I appologise for sounding harsh.

Let me give you an example.

If you work for a client and did $2000 worth of work, client asks you for a price break because they spent $2000 so far and don't want to pay you the same prices you have been charging.

Yes.... I think not!!!!

Also the prices set buy the dealer for commercial equipment are for "YOU" the commercial guy comming in the door. If the dealer chooses not to budge on his price that is his choice. And if he chooses to sell commercial mower to the general public that is also his choice.

BTW my dealer does not give me any breaks on equipment. And I have spent over $250K there, so do I deserve a break too?

Ok tell us what you bought for $2000

And sorry for being so aragent, buying the cheapest stuff to do a heavy duty job bugs me. (not impling any spacific brands)

65hoss
12-03-2001, 04:04 AM
Everyone wants a deal. Everyone wants to feel better about a purchase. Its normal. You have to realize though money isn't the most important factor in this. LGF is speaking from experience. I got a great deal on a 48" encore hydro w/b. But I wish I had the money back to spend on a much better piece of equip. I could have made much more with a 48" eXmark. The reason, the exmark cuts much much better. The blade speed is faster. I can run the exmarks at wide open, but the encore can't. It doesn't cut good at higher speeds. I've ended up keeping it as a backup mower and a bushhog. Its only had 1 full season and 1 half season on the mower.

BISHOP
12-03-2001, 04:11 PM
Well guys,

I purchased 2 br-400 Stihl blowers @$435.00 each= $870.00
a Gaint Vac - 8 HP push blower for $750.00.

Ok it only totaled $1,620.00 when I checked the receipts.

I have landscaped for over ten years but know that I started on my own this year I've noticed that there is lot more than just the work. I know now to do some research before I purchase another mower.

thanks

so you have had a better experience with your exmark's mowers?
A few guys told me that Exmark was not in the same as Scag -
(I didn't say this but A few other landscapers stated this)

Bishop of CCL
:alien:

Chopper Lover
12-03-2001, 04:40 PM
Bishop...

For a walkbehind I have a 36" Scag and I am rather happy with it. When I purchase my next walkbehind (a 48") it will probably be either an ExMark, Bobcat/Bunton or new series Gravely, but I have not ruled out another Scag.

I think you will find that mowers are like Trucks. People are very brand loyal and there is little or nothing you could do to change their minds. Exmarks are very popular here, but there are regions where you couldn't give one away.

Mark

groundsguy1970
12-03-2001, 09:59 PM
biship....get whatever you want.......

LGF,

Other people beat me to the punch..........chill dude!
IF YOUR GRASS IS SO TOUGH........HOW COME IT'S COVERED WITH SNOW RIGHT NOW????

:cool: TRY MOWIN' Year Round In The Rain.... :cool:

People make decisions based on their SURROUNDINGS.........
Sometimes some stuff isn't avail. in certain areas....
Try to post wise comments.....PEACE DUDE!

John DiMartino
12-03-2001, 10:18 PM
The LCO right next to one of my accounts uses scag ZTR's,they do not cut or stripe very well at all.The also do not discharge nearly as far as my Dixie.The cut line is very clearly defined,my cut is clean,even,and the stripe is great,right next to mine,they have streaks in the cut,missed grass,clumps of grass,and twirled grass.Its clear to me they dont sharpen their blades either,since my lawn is green,theres always has a brown-ish tint to it,from torn blades of grasss.

odin
12-03-2001, 11:08 PM
John
I have to agree with you on the scagg ztr's We had a turf tiger and hated it.We replaced it with a dixie chopper and it is the best ztr we have and mind you we also have a lazer z hp 48.
The scagg ultimate 36 with the floating deck has been excellent
and it stripes great, but the stiff deck avantage has been crummey.

groundsguy1970
12-03-2001, 11:25 PM
:) SorryTo Post Again...
point being that some markets stripe isn't in the deal.....zones just don't support it as far as turf culivars. Every machine will have an application........the smart one knows what to deploy where and WHEN! :)

scagman
12-04-2001, 01:00 AM
My oldest wb is 1992 scag 32' belt drive it stripes great maybe your not mowing short enough or if the grass is yellow i dont kno

TLS
12-04-2001, 11:08 AM
BISHOP,

If your trying to cut at 3" (what you should be in your area) you need to set up the deck the following way.

Deck mounting bolts to traction unit should be in the lower of the three holes (not middle as they are shipped) This allows the deck itself the highest "rear" setting.

Then you should have 3 of the 4 Caster Yolk wheel spacers under and 1 over. This will give you optimal pitch of approx 1/8" lower in the front (depending on tire manufacturer). This will also allow you to go 2 and 2 with you spacers for a "lower" fall cut.

Also important is 3 spacers between your blade and spindle. You can go 4 but you will be cutting a little lower than 3".

DO NOT USE MULCHING BLADES (GATOR) FOR CUTTING GRASS. They dont have the lift or suction to create a good cut and good stripes.

I find that 48" Bunton solid foil blades work considerably better than the stock notched foil blades. I also find that SCAG high lifts draw entirely too much power from a 14hp one holer.

Why SCAG or the dealers DONT set them up this way is beyond me. Mine came delivered to cut at 2" !!! Who cuts that low???

Hope this helps you, as I have the exact machine and other than it wanting to do wheelies, I love it.

odin
12-04-2001, 11:20 AM
TLS
Thanks for that info. I have been cutting with mine in the middle hole like the manuel says, and have found it hard to get a pitch at 3 inchs.maybe it will give a better cut with it in the lower hole
thanks again