PDA

View Full Version : Types Of Squeegees And Brushes Question

BIGBOY2008
04-13-2008, 09:31 AM
I sealed three driveways last season where none of the three had been sealed before. I worked from 55 gallon barrels and applied the sealer with a squeegee on all three driveways. One single coat was applied to all three drives with a squeegee tool. The recomended amount of sand was used in the sealer.

The first driveway was a 3700 sq ft area and it was on a hill and i was short five gallons of sealer. The second drive was a little over 5900 sq ft area and i had ten gallons of sealer left over. The third drive was 5000 sq ft area and i had five maybe six gallons of sealer left over.
Being as though these were my first three jobs i think i did pretty good at estimating the amount of sealer needed for the square foot areas.

An individual who has been in the sealing business for several years told me to always use a squeegee on driveways that have never been sealed. Most of the driveways ive given estimates for have never been sealed.
If i understand correctly there are two types of sqeegees a "common type squeegee" and a "sand type squeegee". I used a common type squeegee on all three drive ways. There is also a method of applying sealer with a broom or a brush type tool. What is the difference between the three tools and under what situations would one tool work better than the other?

Another question:
I have never sealed a drive way that had been previously sealed. What if i were to go back and reseal these drives at a later date with the exact same sealer to water ratio mix. I am thinking i would use approximately two thirds the amount of sealer that was used on the first initial sealing of the driveway. Would i happen to be close with the two thirds amount?

Black Magic
05-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Use a brush, much better at not making a mess and a lot more control when brushing close to curbs and such.At the same time you brush the stuff in and make it stick rather than just laying it on top of the asphalt and hope it sets in.
Hell ya you use a lot less, but it still depends on how rough the driveway is, if you seal 1 that has been sealed and it all flat it will slide for ever.if you seal 1 that has been sealed but it still rough and had pits and holes it will still eat it up.

BIGBOY2008
08-12-2008, 02:52 AM
I havent been here in quite a while. Yes i know what you mean now about the sealer really stretching out when comparing a un-sealed drive with a previously sealed drive. I can also tell the difference between a presealed one that is semi rough with some pits and crevices and one with lesser pits and crevices. There is definitely a difference.

I am thinking about trying a brush...in what other ways would i might prefer using a brush and not a squeegee?