PDA

View Full Version : which bedshaper

bligh61
04-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Opinions on which machine is best for re- cutting existing beds and also making new beds?

ColePyck
04-13-2008, 12:54 PM
BROWN with the 9horse honda. Bought one this season and great time saver, only thing is it sucks when the ground is soft.

02DURAMAX
04-13-2008, 01:14 PM
BROWN with the 9horse honda. Bought one this season and great time saver, only thing is it sucks when the ground is soft.

How hard is it to turn with that one..We have one at the school I go to and it sucks for turning...I thinking of going with the little wonder bedshaper..

WALKER LANDSCAPE
04-13-2008, 01:19 PM
The brown is a pain in the A$$ to use "SOMETIMES" when you have perfect condition it works very well. We just bought a little wonder used. The brown works backwards you pulling it the wonder is hydro and runs forward. The Brown runs around $2000.00 new and the wonder is around $3000.00 new. We found this wonder for $800.00 :dancing: I know of a Brown new for $1750.00 in Cincinnati.

Trenchblade
04-13-2008, 03:19 PM
You should check out trenchblade.com. It is cost effective, easy to use medium alternative to a bed shaper and a shovel. It does not go quite as deep as a bed shaping machine, but still makes a great trench for a bed line, a lot smoother and faster than using a spade. Especially when considering the cost of a bed shaping machine when the Trenchblade fits onto your existing stick edger.

Lbilawncare
04-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Trenchblade, nice product. Too bad I use RedMax edgers.

Trenchblade
04-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Trenchblade, nice product. Too bad I use RedMax edgers.
Do you have a straight shaft or a curved shaft Redmax? The Trenchblade will fit on the straight shaft Redmax, and we will have a Trenchblade to fit the curved shaft Sthil and Redmax by the middle of the week. We just finished some 9 and 10 " trenchblades to fit on some walk behind edgers also. we will be finishing these new blades and get them up on the website and shipping at the beginning of the coming week.

smoothbore2004
04-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey I just ordered the trechblade yesterday but didnt think to make sure if it would work on my Little Wonder Xtra edger. Let me know. Thanks

Trenchblade
04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Hey I just ordered the trechblade yesterday but didnt think to make sure if it would work on my Little Wonder Xtra edger. Let me know. Thanks
what size blade do you normally use on it now?

smoothbore2004
04-13-2008, 11:28 PM
the blade on the little wonder is a specialty blade that is made for there machine but once I get your blade I am gonna make it work regardless.

thefed
04-13-2008, 11:58 PM
i got the eztrench bedscaper, 5.5 (get the 6.5 if u can)...and i love it. makes beautiful, easy curved beds...cuts new beds fine....just a bit slow in the mud

SpruceLandscape
04-14-2008, 01:01 AM
If you think you will ever need to do more than just a few bed edges a year than bite the bullet and buy the Little Wonder Bedshaper! Just make sure you get the 14Hp engine and not the 10 or 11!!!! It will pay for itself in a few months depending on how much you use it! I bought one the first year I was in business after I had gone through all the other brands at the rental places until I finally rented that one. I can honestly say it has been one of the most profitable pieces of machinery I ever bought!!!! I bought mine used for $2800 when it was only a year old with less than 10 hours of use on it. Now you can buy them all day long like new for around $2K. If you want I can post some pics of some recent edges I have cut this year with mine.

02DURAMAX
04-14-2008, 02:11 AM
If you think you will ever need to do more than just a few bed edges a year than bite the bullet and buy the Little Wonder Bedshaper! Just make sure you get the 14Hp engine and not the 10 or 11!!!! It will pay for itself in a few months depending on how much you use it! I bought one the first year I was in business after I had gone through all the other brands at the rental places until I finally rented that one. I can honestly say it has been one of the most profitable pieces of machinery I ever bought!!!! I bought mine used for $2800 when it was only a year old with less than 10 hours of use on it. Now you can buy them all day long like new for around $2K. If you want I can post some pics of some recent edges I have cut this year with mine.

Can you post those pic's i want to see how well it does..thanx

bligh61
04-15-2008, 07:43 AM
spruce,thanks for the post. just the info i was looking for. does it clean up existing beds well? i would like to see the pics also.

larryinalabama
04-15-2008, 08:00 AM
I just purchased a Brown Bed edger, the machine is a real tank, it takes a little getting used to and will go through a sprinkler or even a side walk.
I also have a trenchblade that also works good. If money is a problem I would try the trench blade, I ordered 1 to try it was less than 10 bucks which included shipping. I plan to order 10 more blades.

SpruceLandscape
04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
spruce,thanks for the post. just the info i was looking for. does it clean up existing beds well? i would like to see the pics also.

yes, it does a great job, just need to use it a few minutes to get the hang of where the blade is cutting as you walk with the machine. The arm will "float" over top of things such as rocks in the soil or larger tree roots, but it will also go right through things like sprinkler heads and such with no problem, so be careful there. I will try to get some pics and post tonight. If not, I am doing another decent mulch and bed install starting on Wednesday that is really going to look sharp when we are done.

SpruceLandscape
04-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay on posting the pics, we have been running like crazy these last few weeks. I have a few pics that I remembered to take from a recent job that had a lot of curves to help you visualize what the edges look like along with a nice straight edge that shows a little bit of what it looks like when you run over a rock (it was a large piece of gravel from the rough drive when they built the house). That's in the third pic. The bed edger started to grind into it, then rode over top and we went back and removed it afterwards. Keep in mind I went back and took these pics about a week after the bed edge, so the grass has not been trimmed along the edge yet, but you get the point. :waving:

GreenT
04-26-2008, 12:28 PM
The right tool for the job.

BTW, is that what you guys up north call 'black' mulch? It looks hideous.

thefed
04-26-2008, 08:05 PM
BTW, is that what you guys up north call 'black' mulch? It looks hideous.

what? you'ns dont have no black mulch down there? what do you have or what do you call it?

start2finish
04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
we use a bluebird, it does good except steep side slopes and wet conditions.

Trenchblade
04-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay on posting the pics, we have been running like crazy these last few weeks. I have a few pics that I remembered to take from a recent job that had a lot of curves to help you visualize what the edges look like along with a nice straight edge that shows a little bit of what it looks like when you run over a rock (it was a large piece of gravel from the rough drive when they built the house). That's in the third pic. The bed edger started to grind into it, then rode over top and we went back and removed it afterwards. Keep in mind I went back and took these pics about a week after the bed edge, so the grass has not been trimmed along the edge yet, but you get the point. :waving:

Do you think that trench is too deep for a bedline? looks like you could accidentaly run your push mower off the edge and scalp the heck out of your turf.

JShe8918
04-27-2008, 11:30 AM
We have dyed cyprus and also have a blends of cyprus with pine natural color. By the way i love the black mulch. Wish we could get it here...

GreenT
04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
what? you'ns dont have no black mulch down there? what do you have or what do you call it?

Cypress, pine bark. Recently I used Melaleuca for the first time.

The black stuff looks unnatural, like having asphalt on the beds. It would seem to me that it would cook roots down here.

Just my .02

john_incircuit
04-27-2008, 04:21 PM
I used the EZ bed edger and the Bluebird. The EZ makes a much nice edge in my opinion, plus it is much easier to re-edge the same edge after a year. The 5.5 HP EZ doesn't have enough power in our clay soils, the 6.5 hp EZ does pretty good.

bob
04-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I had a Brown , sold it and got a Little Wonder Bed Shaper. The problem with the Brown was that the 2 left side wheels had to ride in the bed. So if the bed was high, it barely cut. Plus pulling it backwards, especially up hill will tire you out. The Little Wonder keeps it's wheel in the grass, and being self propelled is a lot easier. You still have to muscle the Little Wonder sometimes, but not like the brown.

supercuts
04-28-2008, 03:30 PM
i bought a little wonder bed shaper 13hp kawi this spring for $3300/$3500 out the door. i like it alot. its much like a walkbehind mower only it has 1 lever with a diff in the axle so you manually turn it (which isnt hard). it has many pros and a few cons. pros are it works great, more than enough power ( that guy that said you need the 14hp, which they dont offer any more, is a bit overkill, i keep the thing a low rpm so i dont go too fast and mess up. it works great making new as well as re-doing old beds. if you re-doing old beds it doesnt till the ground/grass like some of the others. the blade is bowl shaped and will dump long strips of grass off the side and all you need to do is pick it up by hand assuming the grass is nice and thick/good roots.

a few cons are its weigth distribution. the arm and blade are very heavy and if your going up a curb/trailer/hill etc it will spin the right tire easily. the diff axle is nessary for turning but also compounds weight problem. all and all, its an unbelievable little machine and ive made a killing this year doing much more mulch. last year my hold up was getting the edging done. im charging $84 per yard for mulch, which includes the purchase, delivery, and installation. edging and heavy weeding or bed prep is extra. easily doing 20 yards a day with one helper for well over $1000+ a day profit after purchasing the mulch. it was a very wise investment if you have the work.

good luck

mark

SpruceLandscape
05-02-2008, 10:53 PM
i bought a little wonder bed shaper 13hp kawi this spring for $3300/$3500 out the door. i like it alot. its much like a walkbehind mower only it has 1 lever with a diff in the axle so you manually turn it (which isnt hard). it has many pros and a few cons. pros are it works great, more than enough power ( that guy that said you need the 14hp, which they dont offer any more, is a bit overkill, i keep the thing a low rpm so i dont go too fast and mess up. it works great making new as well as re-doing old beds. if you re-doing old beds it doesnt till the ground/grass like some of the others. the blade is bowl shaped and will dump long strips of grass off the side and all you need to do is pick it up by hand assuming the grass is nice and thick/good roots.

a few cons are its weigth distribution. the arm and blade are very heavy and if your going up a curb/trailer/hill etc it will spin the right tire easily. the diff axle is nessary for turning but also compounds weight problem. all and all, its an unbelievable little machine and ive made a killing this year doing much more mulch. last year my hold up was getting the edging done. im charging $84 per yard for mulch, which includes the purchase, delivery, and installation. edging and heavy weeding or bed prep is extra. easily doing 20 yards a day with one helper for well over $1000+ a day profit after purchasing the mulch. it was a very wise investment if you have the work.

good luck

mark

Amen brother... Whether you go with the 13 or 14 hp version its good either way, but the point was to stay away from the 10 or 11hp versions. For those of you with 26/25 hp Walker mowers, little wonder also makes a great attachment version for those that does as good or in some cases even better (because of the increased TQ delivered to the the blade) than the walk behind unit. Only problem with the Walker attachment is how wide the machine is if you have a narrow area to fit between, but in 95% of the cases it works great.

JShe8918
05-03-2008, 03:28 AM
I got my brown today and i have came across three things.... One is it is impossible to do small tree rings, two you have no idea where you are cutting, and three the wheel must ride in the bed which is impossible in some cases. I had to enlarge my beds at home today and move plants to make it look good. Maybe i will learn as i continue.

SpruceLandscape
05-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I think you just learned why so many people like the Little wonder bedshaper...

Ramairfreak98ss
05-04-2008, 11:30 PM

Where do you get one for $2k? lol. I bought one last year for $3,200 ish with the 13hp twin cyl kawasaki motor. Its the Bedshaper model they make. It works great except on hills, i need to add a counter weight to the right side to help it out a bit. It does save a ton of time though.

SpruceLandscape
05-05-2008, 01:10 AM
There was a used one just listed on ebay for 1800 recently. Check for trade ins as well at some of your local dealers. Emmett Equipment gets them in occassionally, that's another good place to look.

larryinalabama
05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I got my brown today and i have came across three things.... One is it is impossible to do small tree rings, two you have no idea where you are cutting, and three the wheel must ride in the bed which is impossible in some cases. I had to enlarge my beds at home today and move plants to make it look good. Maybe i will learn as i continue.

I also just bought a Brown, I have to agree its goint to take some getting used to. But take into consideration the different rotors, I have a 7" trench blade that should be a big help on sprinkler jobs, Im going to buy a stump grinder rotor and see how that works, 9hp stump grinder not much but still one less trip to the rental store thuse more money for me.

For those small tree try the trenchblade, its fast and wont damage the tree roots, you can try one for less than 10$ including shipping.

Ramairfreak98ss
05-07-2008, 01:11 AM
talking about edger blades here.. Are there any other options for the little wonder bedshaper? Do they make these trenching blades too or is it just the one blade that comes on it?

SpruceLandscape
05-07-2008, 07:39 PM
for the LW Bedshaper, there is an attachment that will bolt onto the disc/blade to chew up the sod ribbon so that you don't have to pick it up, but thats it.

nobagger
05-07-2008, 08:01 PM
How hard is it to turn with that one..We have one at the school I go to and it sucks for turning...I thinking of going with the little wonder bedshaper..

I've owned a Brown, a Turfco Edge-it- Rite, a shovel(lol) and we just bought a Little Wonder BedShaper with the 13hp Honda and HANDS DOWN the Little Wonder blows all of them away! This thing is very powerful it leaves clean crip edges, it cuts through anything, BUT it was a little pricy. We ended up paying 3714.58 for it. The blade life is only around 10 hours of use (so the manufacture says). Its very easy to manuver, its hydrostatic, its just plain awesome. It does take a little time to get the hang of it but after that its gravey.

Dstosh
05-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I am really a fan of the turfco unit. I havent used a brown or any others, but for the $1600 that it is I think it is a excellent alternative to the pricey ones. I do have pictures somewhere of some edges that I did.