PDA

View Full Version : Can a collection system suck up Thatch???

fastrunner
12-02-2001, 01:43 PM
hi, i have a husqvarna 61 inch ztr. The collection system has a 5.5 horse motor. do you think that i could suck up the thatch with a mower or does it have to be raked the old fashioned way?? I know that thatch is really light and fluffy on some lawns and would fill up quick, so i am tring to design a system that is really big to hold alot more thatch. Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Runner
12-02-2001, 02:08 PM
It would suck it up with ease, but you would be emptying so often, (probably every 30 ft.) that it certainly wouldn't be feasible. I've found the best way to move thatch is with a large push blower, then just tarp it. Raking takes WAY too long. If you don't have a blower of this type, you would be better off to just use your mower to windrow it. Atleast then your grinding as you go, which will make for alot less material to pick up.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-02-2001, 02:30 PM
On small lawns we can use the blowers to thatch the lawn. Big lawns however it takes a long time.

Yes we use the vac to pick it up.

awm
12-02-2001, 07:56 PM
uh first of all, im not sure that a vac would really dethatch.
exceptoin would be the weather weve just experianced in the carolinas. everything near the surface was just floating around while you mowed anyways. uh my kid typed this and the uhhh's r just to let you know how smart i'm not.
later now
~*§*TM*§*~:alien:
i came back after my 13 yr old left. only those raising teenagers
or who have previously will understand. whew:confused:

Randy Scott
12-02-2001, 08:21 PM
I think the way you asked this question leads me to believe that you may not really know what thatch is or what it takes to remove some of it. A vac certainly isn't going to pull thatch from a lawn. If you know what thatch is than I'm sorry for insulting you. If you are unsure than you can read other threads here or look up some other green industry sites and get a good description of what it is. There was a thread just a couple days ago that explained it in great detail and it's procedures for truly removing thatch. I will see if I can find it for you.
Found it, it's called What really is thatch? It's on the previous page of threads.

Runner
12-02-2001, 09:12 PM
I think he was asking how to gather it up and remove it after it's been machined to the surface by a dethatcher. He had mentioned about it being light and fluffy. That's what makes me think this.

GroundKprs
12-03-2001, 07:33 AM
You can suck this up quite effectively. However, you will have to clean your deck often because you will be packing a lot of material on it; this stuff will stick much worse than grass. Also, since what you are sucking up is dead material, and rather hard, you will be wearing your blades at about 20 times the rate of mowing wear.

And Runner and others, what do we call this stuff if we don't want to confuse it with "thatch"? Maybe "pseudo-thatch"? It took me 5-6 years to stop calling it that when I learned what thatch really was. But I have never heard a term for it.

smburgess
12-03-2001, 12:23 PM
Have to go with RANDY on this one for sure!
A vac mower would in no way be able to de-thatch a lawn.

Samurai WeedWacker
12-03-2001, 12:45 PM
power rake, if there's a lot of it I rake up most of it with hand rakes then run mowers over the lawn for a nice final cleanup. I don't see a need for lawn vacs. My commercial mowers do an excellent job.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
And Runner and others, what do we call this stuff if we don't want to confuse it with "thatch"? Maybe "pseudo-thatch"? It took me 5-6 years to stop calling it that when I learned what thatch really was. But I have never heard a term for it.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
I call it "spooge" (pronounced 'spoodj'.

fastrunner
12-03-2001, 11:15 PM
I know that a vac system doesnt de thatch a lawn. Maybe I should have said after I power rake the lawn. Sorry about the confusion. I just thought you would know what i was talking about.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-04-2001, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Runner
I think he was asking how to gather it up and remove it after it's been machined to the surface by a dethatcher. He had mentioned about it being light and fluffy. That's what makes me think this.

I was with you on this one too....