PDA

View Full Version : ride-on wish list

Rayholio
04-13-2008, 12:49 PM
New ride ons are beginning to become old news.. the same old companies are making the same old ride-ons and the new companies are pretty much copying them..

This thread is just for fun.. but I wonder what everyone else would consider their 'dream machine'??

for me it would have a diesel power source with hydro-static drive, and automatically calibrate application based on ground speed. It would need GPS guidence. It would need to fit in nearly any gate, and be light enough to be put on a floating hitch trailer. It needs a 50 ft hose reel for areas that cannot be gotten at otherwise.. It needs enough capacity to cover an acre without refilling. all non-drivetrain parts need to be simple, durable, and user replacable in the field. It needs to operate on a decent slope. I would like it to have a hitch point, and an attachment point on the frond of the machine for anything from a wench to lights, to shielded sprayer wings.. If it could have that diesel engine power a PTO for aerators, and seeders.. that would be the coolest thing ever. :)

Ok.. There's my dream machine... I think it could be done.. maybe with the exception of size, and weight....

what's yours?

robertsturf
04-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Mine would be anything that would hold hills better than my permagreen. Easier to open and close the spreader controls. Rear wheel drive. Better spraying pattern. Just off the top off my head. Oh and a capability to have a hose reel for spraying hard areas.

SpreadNSpray
04-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Not my dream machine. But one thing I would like on a P.G. is a push button posi traction transmission.

TLS
04-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Not my dream machine. But one thing I would like on a P.G. is a push button posi traction transmission.

How bout it!

SpreadNSpray
04-13-2008, 01:03 PM
How bout it!

:laugh: STICKER SHOCK!

sedge
04-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Gas or diesel is ok, actually prefer gas. I don't think the extra pricing in the end is worth it really for the diesel. Harder starting on cold days, heavier battery to get it started. Higher fuel at the pump, engine will out last the machine.

A lot of the things you listed would be really nice, but some I think are more costly then the benefit. Here is what i think it MUST have.

4 wheel drive
4 wheel steering
15 to 20 gallon tank
hose reel
ground speed matched spray out put
fits through 32 inch gates (no more then 34" wide)

I built a HPS boom sprayer this year. Works dam good actually. 15 gallon tank, 8 foot booms, 100 foot spring loaded retractable hose reel, both booms can be turned off individually, booms fold up. Currently applying 1 gallon per 1,000 sq ft.

sprayboy
04-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Was thinking about starting a thread like this.

I would like a cab on this machine with am/fm stereo, climate control and auto steer with the gps guidance. The most comfortable seat you can find with arm rests. Automatic weed sensors to only spot treat weeds as needed. A self washing systemm would be nice also.

TLS
04-13-2008, 01:40 PM
I would like to see a wider spread pattern on my PG. Seems that I'm not spreading much wider than when I push my Lesco spreader?

Also would like more speed. Ditch low gear. Have a normal (what D is now) and have a fast gear. Maybe even a third gear for transport.

I really don't have the need for a 50' or (yikes...100') hose, but a tightly coiled expanding hose of say 10-15' would be nice. But then, I'm OK using the squeeze bottle.

lawnangel1
04-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Defineately a self calabrating machine that the flow of spread/spray matches the ground speed.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-13-2008, 04:03 PM
have to have a moron repellent option so the morons would leave me alone

Rayholio
04-13-2008, 05:45 PM
I know deisel costs more... but my diesel Grasshoppers have ran forever.. we have one that is like a 95 model, ALWAYS outside kept, just left to rot in the winter... and every spring it starts right up, and cuts.. Every gasoline motor I have (big or small) has needed signifigant repairs inside of the 1st 3-5 years..

americanlawn
04-13-2008, 05:56 PM
I made a wish in early fall of 2007 on this site. I wished that TURFCO would make a ride-on sprayer/spreader. My wish came true. Turfcobob saw my post and contacted me right away. The rest is history. Best wish that ever came through.

lawn king
04-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I have yet to buy a spreader/sprayer combo, perhaps the turf solutions machine coming out this fall will sell me. I have read too many bad reviews on the pg's & the z spray is just too cumbersom for me. My 2 lesco hps machines have been great. my hps used in conjunction with manual,electric,gasoline and pto spraying systems we already own meet all our spraying needs. Im thinking of converting one of my hps to a dedicated spraying machine or buying the clarkson greg drop in sprayer?

RigglePLC
04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I am in favor of mounting the wench in front, Ray, LOL!

Are you guys listening at Valpraiso, Turfco Bob, and Z-spray?

Fuel guage or visible gas guage
Self measuring cup inside tank
Graduation marks on hopper for pounds and cubic inches
Self weighing hopper
Odometer, stopwatch, trip and speedometer (reading in feet traveled and sqft covered), and recording above only when fert lever is open.
Visible trim nozzle as 18 inch band behind and left of front wheel
Tie down rings
non-rust wheels
non-corrode tranny and engine case and throttle linkage
springs and shock absorbers for smooth ride
gas pedal (to free up hands)
better brakes (maybe both foot and hand brakes)
cruise control for spraying
low oil cut out
Spreader with one big hole, ( interchageable disks for lime or seed)
better--fool-proof--pattern adjustment (on the fly)
teflon platter
better agitation in hopper
better agitation in tank
rain proof hopper and motor
wrist-safe cushioned handlebars--with shock protection
fenders to prevent injury due to stepping on tire
Easy change oil, recoil and belts
easy on-fly sprayer valve control without removing hand from throttle
lower center of gravity
Rust proof hitch carrier, with tailights and signals (capable of being removed by one man) with tie down points
swath width monitor
Has anybody invented any of this stuff?

teeca
04-13-2008, 10:03 PM
i wish that PG would stop listening to sugestions on changes. seams every time they make a change they f' up a good thing... magnum, perfect example. ultra, love it but wanted a 150# hopper and a honda engine. what'd they do?? put a 150# hopper, made it so you needed to run a bunji cord to keep it opened (and i've lubed the s**t out of it and it still wont stay opend, looks like the 3rd hole cable keeps it from working properly), honda engine stalls/close to it when returned to idle (fuel economey is awsom though), need to hold a freek'n lever all day for weed control (ya i seen the control that somebody is selling on here to keep it locked on, but what the ???) 12gal weed control YAH!! but the spray shoots more forward then side to side (like the ultra) and is harder to control off target applications. and why wouldn't they put the third hole control and side deflector control on the same side (YES, the controls on the left side!! ??? duh... the way it is now you need 3+ arms to be efficient. i've tried to be faithful to PG, but man they are making it hard! $6K for the mechine! my ultra i got used and put a few bucks into it, the magnum was used also, but i'm telling ya, $8K for the z-spray sounds better every day i'm on that magnum! need to start using my ultra again so i don't drive myself crazy.

TLS
04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I'm with ya on the need for 3 hands...

We'd be better off trying to invent a third human limb I think!

The gas pedal for the foot sounds good, I think a more ergronomic throttle lever is in order. Either a snowmobile type (similar to some snowblowers) or a ATV type thumb throttle would be sweet.

rcreech
04-13-2008, 10:41 PM
There are quite a few of the "dream items" on Riggles list that is a reality!

Other then a guidance system, diesel engine and a few of the crazy ones....Turfco has a lot of what you are looking for!

SpreadNSpray
04-13-2008, 11:01 PM
I am in favor of mounting the wench in front, Ray, LOL!

cruise control for spraying

Has anybody invented any of this stuff?

I got one covered!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=219410&highlight=autopilot

Rayholio
04-13-2008, 11:27 PM
LOL ok.. maybe a wench is a little off the wall.. I've thought a time or two that it would be good to have on my grass hopper though.. heh

TLS
04-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Wouldn't customers look at you funny if you strapped a wench on the front of ANYTHING?

I would think She would weigh the front down too much...!

turfcobob
04-15-2008, 10:06 AM
I thought he said Wrench and I was going to suggest he get a motorcycle leather tool bag and hang it on the front of the spreader hopper. Guess you could put a bike seat on top of the hopper but it would be top heavy. I gonna let it pass and keep the Wrenches in the truck.

Turfcobob

teeca
04-15-2008, 10:28 PM
i guess buying a PG is like my ex-wife... hoping the more you ride it, the better it gets.. both cost about the same and the quality and workman-ship shows. and the add ons just cost you more in the long run... lol

heritage
04-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Hydro PG.

Pete

lawnangel1
04-16-2008, 09:34 PM
i guess buying a PG is like my ex-wife... hoping the more you ride it, the better it gets.. both cost about the same and the quality and workman-ship shows. and the add ons just cost you more in the long run... lol

Thats hilarious!!!

teeca
04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Thats hilarious!!!

it is now, but wasn't at the time. :usflag:

DUSTYCEDAR
04-17-2008, 09:11 PM
that was great