PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Pro 20V-Twin running problem

ingramg
04-13-2008, 03:23 PM
I have a Craftsman DLT200 which has a Kohler Pro 20V-Twin engine.
Model-CV624S
Spec#-65578
Serial#-3120007051
I know the Craftsman mower is not great. It has been one thing after another since I bought it about 3-4 years ago from the revers pedal rubber coming off. the tire warping due to the exhaust blowing directly on it and I always have to pull the hydrostatic lever on back of the mower and depress the forward and reverse pedals to bleed the system to get the hydrostatic system to work properly. Sometimes revers will not even work until I do this, but my main problem is the engine once started it will surge high low hi low until I give it a little choke the it will for the most part smooth out. Also it will smooth out some when under a load like engaging the blade system which seems strange to me. I have cleaned the air cleaner and removed the carb which I had planed to clean and blow out, but thought I should ask on some expert advise first.
Thanks for any help.
Gene

Restrorob
04-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Gene,

Sounds like your headed in the right direction with a carb clean, That should solve the engine problem but would like to have the tractor model number to take a look at the drive system.

ingramg
04-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I did list all mower information with post, but here it is again:
Craftsman DLT 2000
Kohler Pro 20V-Twin
Model CV624S
Spec-65578
Serial-312000705

Restrorob
04-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Craftsman DLT 2000

That is not a model number for parts/reference look-up, Raise the seat and there should be a white label with the true model number. Should be like 917.XXXXX.....

ingramg
04-13-2008, 09:59 PM
I think this may be it if I got it right: 917 272244

Bill Kapaun
04-14-2008, 12:15 AM
That means it's a cv624-65578 engine.

The surging you describe is usually caused by lean condition.
Thanks to the EPA, the manfs. have to jet the carbs very lean, so there isn't much wiggle room between running well and having a lean surge.
Even a very slight build up on the carb jet will cause this due to the slightly restricted fuel flow through the carb.
IF you don't want to disassemble the carb, a good dose of carb cleaner in the fuel MIGHT help.
IF you do have to clean the carb, you can download the service manual at the Kohler website.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/service/manuals/index.jsp

Something else to look for is a vacuum leak. Check intake/carb fasteners to make sure they are tight. Even a worn throttle shaft bushing can cause the problem.

caseymax
04-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Hi Don't want to sound dum but did you try turning the adjustment screw on top of carb, that adjust the low speed. When it surges like it needs to be backed out a bit 1/4 turn to start with.:)

Restrorob
04-14-2008, 11:29 PM
I always have to pull the hydrostatic lever on back of the mower and depress the forward and reverse pedals to bleed the system to get the hydrostatic system to work properly.

Have you checked the oil level in the transaxle ?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Hydro%20Gear/HydroGearLTOilLevel.jpg