PDA

View Full Version : finding workers

slone
04-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I Can't Find Anyone Who Wants To Work. I Am In Lake County, Ohio. I Am Thinking Of Calling A Temp Place To Try And Find A Worker. After 18 Years In Business I Would Think It Would Get Easier To Find Help. I Know I Am Not The Only One Looking For Help. Any Suggestions Or Tips Would Be Great. Thanks David

merrimacmill
04-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I put an add in our local paper. Ran it for 3 days got almost 30 calls, 10 interviews, and one new employee.

slone
04-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I Guess I'll Have To Try That. I Need One Full Time Worker. I Just Don't Have A Way To Do A Background And Drug Testing. I Am Not That Big Of An Outfit. 65 Lawns A Week. Tired Of Being A One Man Gang. The Older You Get The Tougher It Gets. Thanks. David

merrimacmill
04-13-2008, 03:41 PM
We go online and do background checks. You can google something like "employment background checks" and there will be a wealth of websites that you can pay 20 bucks or whatever it is and get a background check.

As to the drug testing, I know you can do it to your employees in some states. I'm really not sure about the laws on that stuff, so I'd talk to someone who has done that before. Personally, as long as there is no sign of them doing any drugs on the job, they dont' show up drunk, high or whatever, then its their business. I can obvestuly see the concern though.

DreamtheGreen
04-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Put an ad on Craig's List. But dont hire the young ones. I did this last year and found one that needed a job but wasn't 21 years old and goingto the bar every night.

slone
04-13-2008, 06:19 PM
I'll Keep Plugging Away. The Best People I Ever Had Evenually Left To Start Their Business. Most Of The Young Guys Have Know Work Ethic. They Don't Even Cut Their Own Yard At Home. As Soon As They Get A Little Money They Don't Want To Work. I Guess I Am Not Alone Though. A Lot Of Landscapers Are Having A Hard Time Finding Good Help

SNAPPER MAN
04-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Want me to ship you some hispanics if you got work they will go and they are the best workers.

slone
04-13-2008, 07:28 PM
I Have No Problem Working Hispanic Workers. Just Can't Seem To Find One This Year. Several Years Ago When I Worked Some They Did Excellent Work. I Just Need One !! Hopefully He Can Speak English And Have A Drivers License

SNAPPER MAN
04-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Ya where I live good luck finding a hispanic worker with a drivers license. Your lucky if they can speak a little english.

KGR landscapeing
04-13-2008, 09:14 PM
I Have No Problem Working Hispanic Workers. Just Can't Seem To Find One This Year. Several Years Ago When I Worked Some They Did Excellent Work. I Just Need One !! Hopefully He Can Speak English And Have A Drivers License

you looking for somebody like around mentor or where?? ill have to see if i know anybody

slone
04-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Yes Kgr. I Work In Mentor, Wickliffe, Willowick, Kirtland areas. SLONE'S LANDSCAPING 440-944-3342

KGR landscapeing
04-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Yes Kgr. I Work In Mentor, Wickliffe, Willowick, Kirtland areas. SLONE'S LANDSCAPING 440-944-3342

let me see if i can kick over a few stones and see if i know anybody with some work ethic.

slone
04-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks Greatly Appreciated

CLARK LAWN
04-14-2008, 10:23 PM
ive had the same problem here in mahoning. i ran a help wanted ad 2 separate sundays got a ton of calls told about 20-25 people to come for an interview and 2 showed up.

slone
04-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Well Some Good News For A Change. I Worked With A Guy That Had Some Experince. Didn't Have To Tell Him What To Do, Just Show Him The Property Lines. Is It Me Or Am I Crazy. Is $10.00 An Hour Chicken Feed. My First Guy Worked A Week. The Second Guy I Show Him How To Operate The Mowers Says He Wants The Job. The Next Morning I Find A Note Taped To The Door That Says Thanks But This Job Is Not For Him. So Today Was A Pleasure To Work With Somebody Who Wanted To Work. Hopefully I Can Get Him To Stay

ed2hess
04-23-2008, 07:50 PM

They have all started coming back to the motherland because you guys hate them. I thought the presidential candidates were saying Ohio doesn't have any jobs:confused: