PDA

View Full Version : Pricing for a new lawn

ALLPro Landscaping
04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey guys I have a new lawn to bid on. I was wondering how to price this kind of work out. I now know how to price for sod. This new lawn install is real straight foward I figured till the soil throw down fert and seed. What would you recomend penn mulch or hay. Its about 3000sq ft. Also is their something a little less pricy then penn mulch.

capetan
04-13-2008, 11:29 PM
cost of materials
how long you think its going to take you
your hourly rate
equals
cost of the job
:)

ALLPro Landscaping
04-14-2008, 12:09 AM
I dont use an hourly rate. I work mostly by my self. I never understood how to figure my hourly rate. And does the hourly rate go for all work.

mulchmaster
04-14-2008, 10:06 AM
You don't want to use hay, use straw. On a job that size I would use straw.
Hourly rate - how long it will take you from start to finish, remember you will have to pick up materials. Plan on returning to the job a few weeks later to fix anything you might of missed.

O Yea make sure you collect your money as soon as your done. Often times the home owner wants to "wait and see how everything turns out", too many variables you can't control.

Good luck, and post some pics MM

Turboguy
04-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I agree with mulchmaster, stay away from hay. Hay has much more weed seed than straw does. There isn't really much in the way of a cheaper alternative to Penn Mulch. You could probalby use Profiles Jet Spray and apply it with a spreader which would save you some money but then you would have to do your ferilizer as a separate step. I belive the Penn Mulch as the fertilzer built into it.

A lot of guys price new lawns by the square foot but you need to do a few to find your costs. Try keeping track of the time and materials for each job and and then figure your pricing for the job and what it was per square foot. After you have done a few jobs like that you can just measure and quote.

ALLPro Landscaping
04-14-2008, 08:44 PM
ok thank you what would you approx charge per sq ft

JNyz
04-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I agree with mulchmaster, stay away from hay. Hay has much more weed seed than straw does. There isn't really much in the way of a cheaper alternative to Penn Mulch. You could probalby use Profiles Jet Spray and apply it with a spreader which would save you some money but then you would have to do your ferilizer as a separate step. I belive the Penn Mulch as the fertilzer built into it.

A lot of guys price new lawns by the square foot but you need to do a few to find your costs. Try keeping track of the time and materials for each job and and then figure your pricing for the job and what it was per square foot. After you have done a few jobs like that you can just measure and quote.

Are you sure about the straw having less weed seeds? I thought salt hay contain the least amount. That is why most places sell salt hay rather then straw.

Turboguy
04-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Well yes and no. Salt hay is probably as good or better than straw. Here salt hay is not available. Salt hay grows in marshy areas along the coast and you are right in the hot spot for it but most of us don't have that option.

Yes, if salt hay is available it would be an excellent choice.