PDA

View Full Version : Pickup truck or SUV???

VT MOWER
04-13-2008, 08:59 PM
I currently have a suv and will be trading in for a new vehicle this fall. I am wondering if it's worth it to have a pickup or a suv. It would be handy for cleanups and mulch but could that be done with a few barrels?? Thinking of getting a Wrangler Unlimited but also thinking of a pickup as well.

What would you guys do??

CGLC
04-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Suv = Moms Lawn Care

IndyChad
04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Truck---No Jeep

MnDLawn
04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
You could do it in an SUV. You can just get a bigger trailer to make up for it. Good luck.

KGR landscapeing
04-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Is that even a serious Question. i mean a truck is for working an Suv is for sport. i mean its all about what your doing with it iguess. but i mean in the fall i am probably gonna get a bronco for plowing drives but we shall see. i cant afford to have it sit all summer thou. so it might be a truck

ALC-GregH
04-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I have a SUV and want a truck BAD.

stevenf
04-14-2008, 12:21 AM
I have a Bronco II right now. Although there are LOTS of times that a bed would come in handy doing this type of work, I found a 5.9L, 4x4 Bronco that Im gonna get. I just gotta have it!

GrassQuester
04-14-2008, 03:51 AM
Lol funny you should ask I wanted a Suv so much when I started my lawn biz (I wanted A Nissan Xterra) My roomate looked at the Nissan Titan and said to me man,,,,,Grab the Titan, I am so happy now I grabbed theTitan it is all that! Now I have the Xterra 3 years later as my personal vehicle.

VirginiaLawnCare
04-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Truck is the only thing I would use. But then again theres all kinds of people pulling trailers around with SUV's here..

N.H.BOY
04-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Hey shawn if you can swing it keep the suv for the family and buy a used f150 2 wheel drive for mowing, you can get these pretty cheap and it will help alot with mulch and spring/fall cleanups because those are always good money makers. It saves time with a truck. Time is money. good luck buddy...

PHS
04-14-2008, 09:37 AM
I borrow my wifes Expedition occasionally if my truck is in the shop or something. It's pretty nice to drive around in but no way would I consider buying one for work.

jds720
04-14-2008, 11:04 AM
I have a Isuzu Rodeo that I pull my 6x10 with, and I wish I had a truck. The Rodeo pulls just fine, it has a V6. BUt when dealing w/ palm frawns, and clean up you can only fit so much on a 6x10 w/ mower.

Exact Rototilling
04-14-2008, 11:47 AM
One word of caution before you run out and get a new truck. Get a quote on commercial use coverage for you new truck and your current SUV etc. Trailers are typically not covered under personal use policies. You can also get limited business use riders on personal policies.

Commercial vehicle coverage is waaay expensive. :nono: Especially on new vehicle. Trust me get the quote before you jump. :cry: I was tempted to get a new rig until I got the quote. Hey maybe in 2009/2010 if that.

FWIW I have a 91 4runner SUV that I use for towing my enclosed and I have a vintage 85 Toyota 4x extra cab with a canopy for towing my little 4x8 trailer.

Because I have limited hauling capacity I don't advertise for mulch installs and work that requires much hauling of any kind. My ads are specific to the equipment I run.

Having a truck is obviously the preferred way to go however if you have an SUV and you can make it work for awhile then be a bit conservative before going hog wild.

Like I should talk - I went hog wild on buying a ton of new equipment these last 6 months. My approach was to spend the money on the working equipment and a trailer I can pull with my current rigs and not on a $30,000 truck with just one mower, blower and trimmer.

If down the road I land accounts that required bigger ZTR's, waaay more volume etc, way more $ cash flow then yes I will get a new full-sized truck and bigger trailers. Time will tell.

SLR
04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I am wondering if it's worth it to have a pickup or a suv.
-----------------
If you desperatly need a shovel, do you pick up an axe instead?
Sorry but -a truck- is a most definate no brainer for lawn involved matters on this one.

VT MOWER
04-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the advice guys (scotty!!!!!). I'm going to run the suv through the season and see how things go before I make a decision with the boss (my wife of course!) A truck makes a lot of sense to me too.:cool2: