PDA

View Full Version : Pete waited to eat the marshmallow

pete scalia
04-13-2008, 10:05 PM
In a groundbreaking study by famous psychologist Walter Mischel. In the study, a group of four year olds were presented with a marshmallow. They were told if they could wait 20 minutes before eating it, they would get a second marshmallow. But if they eat it now, it would be the only marshmallow they get.

Some kids were able to wait, others couldn’t resist.

Then, all the kids were followed up on many years thereafter. And here’s the startling finding…

Those kids, like Pete Scalia, that were able to delay their gratification and wait 20 minutes to get a second marshmallow…

Were Much More Successful… Overall…
In All Areas Of Life!

You’ll be startled by the drastic differences between these two groups of kids as they grew older. The ones who could delay their gratification had better social lives, were more intellectual, better off financially, and on and on.

And this is important to you because… by delaying your gratification… you could be way more successful in business and elsewhere.

Here’s what I mean: I constantly see business people jumping straight into making a monetary sale. On their first contact, they want to extract money from their prospects. And then on every other contact they have with their customer, all they want to do is extract more money and ask for more sales.

Surely, this makes many people money. But there is often a far better way to make money... and more of it. And that is by first providing great value to your prospects absolutely free… without asking for money in exchange.

An example: Do you know what is the biggest alternative health website on the entire internet? It’s Mercola.com. Last I checked, they had about 1.5 million subscribers.

Want to know why? For the first three years, Dr. Mercola did not sell a darn thing on his website. Instead, all he did was produce a tremendous amount of wicked good content via an e-newsletter for free. This built him a huge subscriber base… and because his content is so good… this built him tremendous trust and credibility.

Then, when he started offering products, people began ordering them in droves.

Remember this: One of the main reasons people do not buy from you is they don’t trust or believe you. That’s why the first sale you should make is not selling your product, but rather, selling yourself, your trust, credibility, and expertise. I advise you to read this paragraph again because it’s that important.

There is also an element of reciprocation with this strategy of value first, sell second. Because you are giving to people, they feel indebted to give something back to you. So when you finally do ask for a sale, they buy.

Of course, you do not need to wait three years to make a sale like Dr. Mercola did. The point is, you should not just always be asking people for money. You should find ways to give your prospects and customers great value without asking for anything in exchange.

Those that steal money for estimates are crooks!

Chris J
04-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Excellent concept Pete. Thank you for the post.

irrig8r
04-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Who cares about marshmallows... would you have waited 20 minutes for penne and salsice?

Lite4
04-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Blah, Blah, Blah,....Whatever!

klkanders
04-14-2008, 02:24 AM
Since I dont like marshmallows I gave mine to you Pete. You ate it secretly and still had your original to earn you a second one. It is time to pay it forward. :)
I think Pete is "mallowing" out!
Some good things in there to ponder.

steveparrott
04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Interesting post, Pete. Of course, we need to translate this into our business of landscape lighting. You can't install a whole job for free in the hope that the client will want to expand their lighting later. There are other ways to build trust in prospective clients.

Primary among these is to build your reputation in the local community. This can be accomplished in several ways. Of course, doing great lighting work with great value around the community is a given. Other ways are through sponsorship of community events, becoming an active (and vocal) member in local orgaizations, sharing knowledge (talks) with local clubs and associations. It also doesn't hurt to join the groups/clubs that your wealthy prospective clients also belong; introduce yourself to everyone, etc.

Here's an exercise we do at our marketing seminars.

Select one house in your community that would be the absolute biggest and best lighting job of your career. I'm talking 300 fixtures, high visability, money no object. Every community has such properties and quite often the owners are unapproachable by the usual marketing campaigns. Let's say they don't look at ads in the paper, nor in magazines and they throw away anything that looks like junk mail.

Here's the exercise: set yourself the goal of landing this dream job two years from today. From now till then you need to earn the trust and pique the interest of these homeowners, so in two years they sign on the dotted line. What steps will you take so that you are sure to succeed?

Mike M
04-14-2008, 08:09 PM
So, the estimate is free. But the demo, an electric sales call which provides a catalyst for trust and confidence, we should charge a few hundred clams.

klkanders
04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Steve, How has this exercise worked? Have any stories to share on any that worked?
Thanks,

Keith

steveparrott
04-15-2008, 01:05 PM
No real-world success stories, but the exercise was an eye-openner for many. It gets you to think long-term and focuses your sales strategy like a laser beam.

Participants in the exercise shared the following ideas:

Ask around the community and find out where the highest-end homeowners hang out - where they eat, where they shop, what clubs they belong to, what charities they support. Figure out how to insert yourself and your business into these venues.

Approach the country clubs and restaurants with attractive low-cost lighting offers, in exchange for putting up yard signs.

Offer high-end shopkeepers 10% of every sales lead they generate in exchange for letting you put business cards and brochures in their shops.

Sponsor charitable events, then attend the events and rub elbows with prospects.

Hook up with interior designers and offer them a piece of the action for leads they generate.

Find out who does the landscaping for the target homeowners and meet with them, build their trust, offer your services.

NightScenes
04-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Steve, you've been eavesdropping on my marketing campaign again!! These things are all great for building a reputation in your area. I have served as vice president of my chamber. I am a season sponsor for our local community theater and I'm a member of my church's mens club just to name a few things that I am involved in. Let alone the AOLP involvement. All of these are listed on company letterhead, on fine parchment and inserted in my proposal folder that is handed to every client.

irrig8r
04-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Much earlier in my career I lived in a lower value home in a very affluent community.

My kids attended good schools there, and when I had employees to carry more of the daily workload I got involved with team sports. I was never a big time jock, but my kids were good at various sports so I got into it.

Turned out that a lot of the other coaches and parents were high powered attorneys and higher ups in Silicon Valley companies.

I sponsored AND assistant coached in AYSO, Little League and girls fastpitch softball. Other coaches got to know and trust me and asked for advice and passed my name on to their friends. I still do a lot of work in the area, and continue to perform work for people I first contacted way back then.

klkanders
04-16-2008, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the response Steve! As usual very good strategies.
Paul, Gregg
Its amazing just placing yourself with the right people at the right time can reap great rewards when you least expect it.

Keith

Chris J
04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
You become "like" the people you associate with. Hang around losers, and you become one. Hang around millionaires, and you become that.

NightScenes
04-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Good point Chris!

klkanders
04-17-2008, 02:10 AM
Chris, I knew there was a reason I wanted to hang with ya in AZ! show me the money!
Are ya all settled into the new home? Lets see some pics!

Keith

Chris J
04-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Still unpacking everything, but I'm just about finished. I'd put some pics up tonight, but I don't have a camera! I have a few pics on my new Blackberry, but I haven't had a chance to figure out how to get the pics off the phone and onto the computer. I'll see if I can find the time this weekend, but it probably won't happen. Me and my boys have a lot planned for this weekend.
My neighbor gave me a scare today though. He was telling me about the HOA restrictions, and he said they are very strict. He's got me thinking I'm going to have problems parking my truck in the driveway because of the graphics. I'm also wondering if I'm even going to be able to light up my own home! No one else has any lighting. I've got to submit requests to the Architectural Review Board for everything, even the color of paint if I want to repaint this place. Did I ever mention that I hate subdivisions. Some of these neighborhoods can be so snobby!

Mike M
04-19-2008, 09:46 AM
I've got to submit requests to the Architectural Review Board for everything, even the color of paint if I want to repaint this place. Did I ever mention that I hate subdivisions. Some of these neighborhoods can be so snobby!

Welcome to my world!!!!!! And, they charge you to submit stuff. And take a month to look at it. And don't know what they are looking at.

For ARB's around here, I go in person, and explain good designs, and the "hide the source" concept, shielding/positioning/aiming, variance of light levels and low wattages, material composition & need for routine maintenance vs. failures, etc., and they let me do what I want.

My advice re. neighbors: put up a fence asap. I can't afford it, and regret it.

I'd live in a shanty on a swamp if it wasn't for my kids.

The Lighting Geek
04-19-2008, 01:46 PM
You become "like" the people you associate with. Hang around losers, and you become one. Hang around millionaires, and you become that.

If I am hanging out around here, what does that make me? hmmmm? lol

Chris J
04-19-2008, 10:37 PM
If I am hanging out around here, what does that make me? hmmmm? lol

I'm here, so I guess that automatically makes you one very cool dude Tommy! :cool2: Gotta go now, the UFC pay-per-view event comes on in 20 minutes. Gonna watch George St. Pierre kick the noodles out of Matt Serra. George used to be a lighting designer in Canada, now he's taking his frustrations out on peoples heads. See what a lighting business in Canada will do to you? :canadaflag:

The Lighting Geek
04-20-2008, 12:19 AM
I am starting American Top Team training next week. I missed working out with Caesar Gracie on Saturday..bummer! He comes to our school annually being that my instructor is one of his students. I think one of the fights on the card is ATT.

Chris J
04-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Tommy, are you pulling my leg, or are you really into this as I am? The Gracie family was instrumental in developing the UFC, and I think it's awesome that you have had an opportunity to train with them. The fights tonight were fabulous, but the Canadians didn't not defend their home town of Montreal very well. I believe it was a sweep, with the exception of GSP, who I am a fan of and knew would win. I can't get enough of this stuff! I only wish I were a bit younger so I compete closer to the professional level. These young guys would kick my arse!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-20-2008, 11:21 AM
My neighbor gave me a scare today though. He was telling me about the HOA restrictions, and he said they are very strict. He's got me thinking I'm going to have problems parking my truck in the driveway because of the graphics. I'm also wondering if I'm even going to be able to light up my own home! No one else has any lighting. I've got to submit requests to the Architectural Review Board for everything, even the color of paint if I want to repaint this place. Did I ever mention that I hate subdivisions. Some of these neighborhoods can be so snobby!

Welcome to my world!!!!!! And, they charge you to submit stuff. And take a month to look at it. And don't know what they are looking at.

For ARB's around here, I go in person, and explain good designs, and the "hide the source" concept, shielding/positioning/aiming, variance of light levels and low wattages, material composition & need for routine maintenance vs. failures, etc., and they let me do what I want.

See I have always maintained that if you want to really live in "The Land of the Free" then you would have to live here in Canada! :canadaflag:

You guys in the States just have way too many rules, regulations, restrictions and laws that hamper your personal liberties... What is the deal with that?:dizzy:

:laugh:(Yes this is meant mostly in jest... don't go getting all nuclear over it!):laugh:

The Lighting Geek
04-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Tommy, are you pulling my leg, or are you really into this as I am? The Gracie family was instrumental in developing the UFC, and I think it's awesome that you have had an opportunity to train with them.

Yep, I also rolled (a Brazilian Jujitsu term for sparring) with Nate Diaz before he won Ultimate Fighter. He came with Ceasar last time he came to the dojo. I hold a green belt in mixed martial and my dojo recently became the first CA ATT certified school. I wish I had done this way earlier. At 48 I am the oldest by almost 10 years, I have to use wisdom over speed sometimes..LOL I have no intentions of competing, I just do it for the training and the exercise. I have been out of the school for a year and am just returning to finish my black belt. I'm not sure I going to survive this! lol

JoeyD
04-21-2008, 11:40 AM
GSP is a bad a$$ fighter, I just cant stand his accent. It makes me want to knock myself out! I knew he would destroy Serra this go around. But geez how about that Nate Quarry fight, that Canadian dude literally ran away from him the whole fight...you know Dana White will never allow that chump to fight again in UFC.

Good Fights on Sat. I knew Tommy was a Martial Arts freak but I had no idea you too were an MMA guy Chris? Too bad Ligthfare wasnt the week before, on May 24th I think BJ Penn is fighting Shawn Sherk in Vegas, we could have gone!!!

Chris J
04-22-2008, 08:56 PM
That's really inspiring Tommy. I've been looking for a good place to train here, but solely for the purpose of getting back in shape. I would have loved to compete in my younger years, but at 44 there is no way I would think of doing it now. My bones hurt bad enough after a simple lighting install; I can just imagine how I would feel grappling with some 20 year old for 15 minutes. I still love to watch it though, and it wouldn't really hurt my feelings to either stay in Vegas to catch the fights or not go to Light fair at all! Just Kiddin.

Chris J
04-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Joey, another good one is going to be the WEC fight between Jens Pulver and Uriah Fabre! I'm betting on Uriah.

JoeyD
04-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Oh yeah I am taking Uriah all the way, he may be one of the best pound for pound in the world! Jens is no slouch but I think Uriah will handle him.

JoeyD
04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
So back to the origional post and speaking of Pete...I now some of you are probably happy about this but I havent seen the old Long Island Pistol Pete farting around here much lately??

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Yes, hasn't it been lovely? So civil, quiet, peaceful, serene, professional, calm ..........

Mike M
04-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Truth is, we all know very well that Pete was the kid that ran off with the bag of marshmallows and stuffed his face while everyone else sat at the campfire with empty sticks. And that's where we are now.

Chris J
04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
He'll be back. Right now he's probably swamped with business and trying to keep up with his 100k monthly sales quota.

irrig8r
04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Has anyone ever met him in person? Do we know he really exists? My theory is it's a prank played by a group of people, Mike Gambino among them, who created the Pete Scalia account and know the password and log on as Pete when they're bored or want to mess with someone.... especially Canadians.

And speaking of hoaxes, can someone please tell me who it is that's logging on as Dwight Schrute?

http://www.tobyhilden.com/images/schrute_buck.jpg

irrig8r
04-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Truth is, we all know very well that Pete was the kid that ran off with the bag of marshmallows and stuffed his face while everyone else sat at the campfire with empty sticks. And that's where we are now.

Good one Mike. :drinkup:

Chris J
04-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, your spot on when it comes to P.S. being a ghost. I've said this from the day he arrived on here. As far as Dwight Schrute goes, I've never even heard of the real one!

irrig8r
04-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Yes, hasn't it been lovely? So civil, quiet, peaceful, serene, professional, calm ..........

That sounds like your baiting him to me James... could be his keyboard is just sticky with marshmallow goo...

Eden Lights
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
While I have enjoyed Pete's comments. I have also always said Gambino and Pete are related and Pete wouldn't post some of the things he does if he was for real person running a real business.

JoeyD
04-30-2008, 12:05 PM
I think this Dwight Schrute guy is either a distributor or he is a Vista employee.

As for Pete, something tells me he will be back at some point.

It has been quite around here lately. Everyone must be picking up!!!

dwightschrute
05-01-2008, 07:27 PM
i sell paper at dunder miflin, and for a short time at Staples.

irrig8r
05-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Dude.... don't forget the beet farm.

dwightschrute
05-01-2008, 10:19 PM
And used car salesman- Andy Bernards Xterra