PDA

View Full Version : Reverse hose?

LawnTamer
04-13-2008, 09:33 PM
I have a silly question; I have a 3 yr old skid sprayer with the 1/2ID yellow hose, 300'. I have several spots where the hose has kinked repeatedly, so the hose is prone to kinking in these spots. All these spots are within 50-60' of the gun end, they have become weak. I am wondering if it would be advantageous for me to reverse my hose, so the gun end became the end attached to the reel. Anyone ever do this? Did it help? I can't imagine it wouldn't, the last 100' on the reel only comes off for 4 or 5 lawns each round.

Thanks for any feedback.:waving:

teeca
04-13-2008, 09:42 PM
i put in a splice and have them crimped by a shop that makes hoses'. like napa or a hydrolic shop. cheaper then a hose, cost like $5 for everything

pinto n mwr
04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
done it before, adds life to the hose. plus it also helps the situation with ompressing the hose that is near the start of the reel.

ted putnam
04-13-2008, 10:21 PM
As long as the hose isn't so weak in those spots that there is a good chance the hose will burst from just normal operating pressure, you should be fine. I've done it before with no problems at all. It's a great way to get a little more use out of a well used hose. Sounds like this will be about the last season for your hose. Been there, done that. Shouldn't be any problems.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-14-2008, 02:12 AM
I just found those 10' hoses on sale at Home Depot and connected a whole bunch of 'em together. It leaks like crazy, but waaaaay cheaper than a new one. Besides, my trucks old and rusty anyhow, so the stains don't show up too much.

vegomatic40
04-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Should be a easy fix. You may have to "retrain" your hose through a few uses to get it to roll back on the reel properly. I always use what I called a "leader-hose" to make the connection between the main spray hose and the spray gun. Its a more flexible hose of the same ID/OD and makes spraying a little easier since there is less resistance in the rapid back and forth motion you have to do several thousand times a day in making apps. I rarely use worm-type clamps as they are prone to leaking (even stainless) and prefer the "bandit" style crimp clamps and keep several in the trucks. They are more difficult to work with in the field as they require a hacksaw for removal but they rarely need that as almost never leak.

PHS
04-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I like the leader hose idea. Agree with the band clamps too. I take my hoses to a hydraulic shop where they have a machine for installing them. They charge me a couple dollars per clamp but they outlast the hose with zero problems. I still carry the portable band-it tool in case of emergency but never use it.

Ric
04-14-2008, 11:41 AM
yo

IMHO Splices in any hose cause problems of all sorts. leaks are only one problem. Pulling or rewinding hose, a splice can get caught on anything.

I have changed hose reels and reversed the hose with no problems.

vegomatic40
04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
"Pulling or rewinding hose, a splice can get caught on anything."

That may be true if you leave the gun at the end of your pull. That's why I mandate the gun be returned to the truck prior to the hose being wound back into the real. This also prevents potential damage to the gun or fasteners being pulled off. Watch the hose carefully as it is wound into the reel helps minimize potential issues with the hose and gun. Allow the gun to twist as it returns, prevents "birdnesting" or loops in the hose. Since bandit style clamps have a relatively smooth surface compared to the worm or screw style, its a rare occasion when they hang up on any object and cause any damage.

Ric
04-14-2008, 02:32 PM
"Pulling or rewinding hose, a splice can get caught on anything."

That may be true if you leave the gun at the end of your pull. That's why I mandate the gun be returned to the truck prior to the hose being wound back into the real. This also prevents potential damage to the gun or fasteners being pulled off. Watch the hose carefully as it is wound into the reel helps minimize potential issues with the hose and gun. Allow the gun to twist as it returns, prevents "birdnesting" or loops in the hose. Since bandit style clamps have a relatively smooth surface compared to the worm or screw style, its a rare occasion when they hang up on any object and cause any damage.

vegomatic

I don't know about you, but I always end with the Gun-wand at the truck. I would never try and drag the gun-wand across a yard. I also like to rewind my hose the same as a level wind fishing reel. I use a wet rag to hold the hose as it rewinds and guide a level wind. A splice would tear my hand. I feel care and replacement of equipment is only one step in doing professional work. A spliced hose is worn out equipment in my mind. The last time I bought hose 3/8 id 300 ft was only $ 200. What would it cost if your splice broke and you shot or dripped staining Iron on your customers driveway?? Penny wise is most times pound foolish. Just my humble opinion

garydale
04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Definitely reverse the hose. You will be surprised how flattened it is near the reel.

vegomatic40
04-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Ric, I completely agree with splicing the hose. What I was referring to was a small length of braided, rubber hose (3'-5' long) that attaches at the spray gun and makes a union at the main spray hose. Non-braided poly hoses tend to be very tough, but also very stiff. Because they can be so inflexible, they can cause wear at the barbed-fitting on the end of the gun (3/4" x 3/8" I think) and gradually the poly begins to fatigue and fail resulting in the fitting to crack or, even the hose coming completely off the gun. When pulling out sometimes as much as 500' of hose I also caution the tech's to always hold the spray hose..not the leader hose when pulling. It also makes spraying the fast "back and forth" motion (in order to do a even blanket app) somewhat easier with less resistance. Gonna get cold tonight. Gotta rehearse my frost-tip-damage speach that I'll have to use over the next several days.

RigglePLC
04-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Anybody ...and...Vegomatic, How do you guide the hose onto the reel?

Ric, you use a wet rag. Myself i use a plastic guide made by cutting a plastic oil can in half. (Yes I am old--I remember when oil came in cans--and i still have one of those self-penetrating oil spouts)

ted putnam
04-14-2008, 09:43 PM
I've got hose hooks on my 2 rigs I bought from westheffer. Cheap. less than 10 bucks I think. Worth their weight in gold. We bought and used the same thing 20 yrs ago when I worked for Chemlawn.

LawnTamer
04-15-2008, 12:11 AM
I've got hose hooks on my 2 rigs I bought from westheffer. Cheap. less than 10 bucks I think. Worth their weight in gold. We bought and used the same thing 20 yrs ago when I worked for Chemlawn.

Hose hooks ehhh? I think I need to look into those. I just use my gloved hand, to loosely guide the hose, when there is a lot of tension on the hose, it gets some serious friction going.

mngrassguy
04-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Reverse the hose would be a good idea. I would still cut out the kinks and splice the hose with a "band-it" clamp. Be sure to file sharp edges of to avoid cutting up your gloves and/or hands when guiding the hose back on the reel. I never use automotive clamps for the same reason.

I guide the hose with my foot then throught my hand and always use a leader like Vego said.

What's a "hose hook"?

vegomatic40
04-15-2008, 07:43 AM
I use hose hooks as well. Pretty cheap and easy to make. Use 1" tube steel and solid 3/8" steel. Bore a 3/8" hole throught the tube, push the solid through and weld it. The hook portion is about 10" long heated and bent into whatever shape hook you like. Grind off any sharp edges. I've wound up plenty with my boot as well but after a while they tend to start making a groove in your boot but it does keep tension on the hose. I also put stainless reel-guides on all the tanks. They help out a ton on those awkward pulls when you can't always pull straight away from the truck. Any of you guys remember the old pto-driven-jackshaft reels at Chemlawn? I remember pulling a hvac unit off its foundation with one of those things.

mngrassguy
04-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Yup, just sold an old Chem truck that had two reels on it with a big old piston pump

PHS
04-15-2008, 09:17 AM
I like the hose hook idea, simple and effective. Have to get one of those.

When I was tree spraying I used the 800psi Green Garde hose and regularly had all 400' out. I used and old arborist block with 20' lanyard attached. Much of the time I just tied it off fairly short and left it on the hose and just used it for reeling up. But since I worked in steep bouldery terrain, I was always having to go over fences, around buildings, rockpiles, etc. Lots of times I'd take the block with me on the drag out, throw the rope over a low branch or something, pull up the block and hose up and put a wrap around the base. From there I could drag it all out and reel back to the fence in one shot without hand-over-handing 100's feet of heavy hose. Another one was going out from the truck 30'-40', making a turn and running out the rest out. Putting the block at the corner made life a lot easier.

Ric
04-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Anybody ...and...Vegomatic, How do you guide the hose onto the reel?

Ric, you use a wet rag. Myself i use a plastic guide made by cutting a plastic oil can in half. (Yes I am old--I remember when oil came in cans--and i still have one of those self-penetrating oil spouts)

Riggle

IMHO a wet rag not only cleans your hose but lubricates it long enough to allow the hose to roll itself on the reel to give a good level wind. I might not be explaining that correctly. I have a 12 gal fresh water tank gravity fed for washing hands on my truck, so a clean wet rag is not a problem. I am sure your oil can works for you, we all do thing different, not wrong.

As for hooks, I have seen people wind hose on them quicker than a electric reel can. But just because they beat you doesn't mean I want to joint. Thank you but I am lazy enough to stay with 21th century equipment.

mngrassguy
04-15-2008, 11:19 AM
I have an idea, why not use a hook and an electric reel? Just a thought. Good idea about the wet rag, but my wife is usually to busy!!! LOL

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Good idea about the wet rag, but my wife is usually to busy!!! LOL

Haha. That's good. :laugh::laugh:

ted putnam
04-15-2008, 04:42 PM
That's one thing I've never understood about pest control setups(hand crank hose reels.) I'm all about making my job easier whenever I can. Hand cranking is for the birds.