PDA

View Full Version : what to charge per yard

edgeman2003
04-13-2008, 09:46 PM
i'm in maryland, wonder the going rate per yard,hr, or size?
I was thinking a $35 minimum no matter how small size the yard.Is that to low of a price? Then higher for bigger yards.

capetan
04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
35 sounds good

edgeman2003
04-13-2008, 10:57 PM
what if they want the yard cut weekly or bi- weekly, do I charge the same amount per cut , or a discount if they get it cut weekly or bi- weekly?

bruno_rs
04-14-2008, 09:05 AM
what if they want the yard cut weekly or bi- weekly, do I charge the same amount per cut , or a discount if they get it cut weekly or bi- weekly?

hey edge, personally i stay away from the "by-weekly" customers... tends to turn into i'll call you when it needs to be done and/or i've got a big party tommorrow and need the lawn done now.

setting a minimum is a must and you need to determine a formula which works for YOU. i'm not making money unless i charge 1$ per minute on the lawn... 1 hour of cutting = at least $60.

good luck with the new machine. have a good one.

edgeman2003
04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
hey edge, personally i stay away from the "by-weekly" customers... tends to turn into i'll call you when it needs to be done and/or i've got a big party tommorrow and need the lawn done now.

setting a minimum is a must and you need to determine a formula which works for YOU. i'm not making money unless i charge 1$ per minute on the lawn... 1 hour of cutting = at least $60.

good luck with the new machine. have a good one.

so would I set up a contract for once a week cuts for a few months? or per month basis?

milkie62
04-21-2008, 01:17 AM
I usually get around $1/minute maybe a little less.

Paulup
04-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Set yourself up for once a week cuts for the remainder of the mowing season, and leave yourself an out in the contract. Something along the lines of "If it rains heavily or we experience extended dry periods, we may mow more or less than usual." That way when the end of the season comes along, and you estimated 30 cuts, you aren't sitting there owning someone a cut or 2 if you didn't cut due to drought, or extended periods of heavy rain where you were unable to get out and mow.

mngrassguy
04-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Our min is $140.00/mo based on 6 mo May-Oct. 24 cuts max. $35.00/cut over 24

bruno_rs
04-21-2008, 06:47 PM
so would I set up a contract for once a week cuts for a few months? or per month basis?

hey edge, sorry... i forgot about this thread, didn't see your follow up question. been doing this a while and found monthly contracts RARELY work out in MY favor.

i do mostly residential and have a verbal agreement and/or understanding with ALL my customers re cutting more and/or less than every 7 days. in the spring i will be out sometimes every 4-5 days... therefore, i'd be hurting myself with a contract. i have always worked without a written contract ( re lawn maintenance ONLY)... never felt the need to generate more paperwork for myself.

billing new (unproven) customers is done by-weekly... many times, i will inform new customers that i will need payment each time i cut their lawn. once a customer is "proven", i bill them monthly. hope this helps. good luck. have a good one.

lifetree
04-21-2008, 08:16 PM

usually a little bit of a discount if weekly, because you'll have more steady revenue !!

ALC-GregH
04-21-2008, 09:09 PM
bruno, what do you offer as a receipt to the customer? Do you hand write them or print them out at home and take them with you?

bruno_rs
04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
bruno, what do you offer as a receipt to the customer? Do you hand write them or print them out at home and take them with you?

hey greg, new customers are given generic hand written receipts upon completion AND payment... proven/regulars are mailed monthly. i shy away from preprinting receipts as many times, my fee will vary. when i return at the end of the day, they are then entered into my computer.

as discussed with all potential customers, fees i quote are for cutting 1x... if i have to go over the lawn 2-3x's due to heavy growth, adjustments will be made accordingly. this is ALWAYS discussed AND agreed upon while qualifying customers. moreover, i like to give them a worst case scenario up front. this alleviates the possibility of "surprises" and most appreciate my candor. furthermore, by discussing this, you'll usually get a "heads up" as to who MAY be your chronic complainers and/or trouble customers.

a few years ago, i purchased a lap top (for my truck) with the intention of tracking my day and leaving a computer printout, but that never happened. i could not seem to get out of the habit of jumping in and out of the truck, when i got on site. moreover, MY work truck is no place to be if you want to remain spotless!!! it's easier, for me and my lap top, to just leave it in a clean, cool office, while i get dirty. when i return and have a chance to get cleaned up is when i do my computer work. been doing it that way for years and can't seem to break the habit.

hope all is well and your seasons in full swing. good luck. have a good one.

ALC-GregH
04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
thank you...

I can only hope my business takes off and I get into full swing. Your post was very insightful, thanks again

edgeman2003
04-22-2008, 12:15 AM
I have a computer or carputer which people on my car fourm call them. My car is a sports pimp out car. I build these system myself. Iused to have a car audio business before this. You name it, I had it. I dun windows xp in my car, so I always have all the business info right in front of me at all time. But I mostly use the office computer to log all entries. do it on paper first, then enter it later on the computer.

ALC-GregH
04-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Thats what I'll probably do to get started. Once I get monthly accounts, I can use my home PC to do the monthly billing.

edgeman2003
04-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Thats what I'll probably do to get started. Once I get monthly accounts, I can use my home PC to do the monthly billing.

how far are you from hagerstown?

ALC-GregH
04-22-2008, 07:25 AM
15-20 minutes