PDA

View Full Version : Well tomorrow i finally start my mowing.

bigw
04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Well its been since Nov 07 since i decided to start my own lawn care business and now the time has come to start my mowing, i am excited and yes alittle nervous but i am ready!:weightlifter:

Military Lawns
04-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Well its been since Nov 07 since i decided to start my own lawn care business and now the time has come to start my mowing, i am excited and yes alittle nervous but i am ready!:weightlifter:

Lots of haters on here but, I think you will do just fine!

KS_Grasscutter
04-13-2008, 10:56 PM
How many accounts you got lined up?

bigw
04-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Lots of haters on here but, I think you will do just fine!

Thanks buddy i do too.

bigw
04-13-2008, 11:00 PM
How many accounts you got lined up?

37 weekly and 4 bi weekly average lawn $57.00 and made over $8k in clean ups and mulch jobs and 2 edge stone jobs. also have about 5-6 open estimates still out their so i think im doing ok.

KS_Grasscutter
04-13-2008, 11:02 PM
37 weekly and 4 bi weekly average lawn $57.00 and made over 10k in clean ups and mulch jobs and 2 edge stone jobs. also have about 5-6 open estimates still out their so i think im doing ok.

HOLY F***. That is truely amazing to build up that much business in like a couple months. You wanna come out here and build me a mowing business, and i'll buy it from ya after a year?

bigw
04-13-2008, 11:03 PM
HOLY F***. That is truely amazing to build up that much business in like a couple months. You wanna come out here and build me a mowing business, and i'll buy it from ya after a year?

I would if i could lol. Hey i guess having my nice trailer and equipment and truck wasnt a bad idea after all, or my post cards or my sign in my front lawn etc.etc. etc.. I heard how stupid i was for these things on here for months!!

CGlisson
04-13-2008, 11:07 PM
How did you pick up that many lawns so quickly vintage? I just started a business after doing it part-time in the summer. So far I have about 13 lawns and definitely looking to pick up more! Any advice?

KS_Grasscutter
04-13-2008, 11:09 PM
I would if i could lol. Hey i guess having my nice trailer and equipment and truck wasnt a bad idea after all, or my post cards or my sign in my front lawn etc.etc. etc.. I heard how stupid i was for these things on here for months!!

Any way you can get your name out there is worth it. I wish I could afford to do more advertising than i do, but then again, you can't afford to NOT advertise lol. Thinking about getting some little "voting signs" to put in yards after I do them, like "This lawn is professionally maintained by PRO CUT LAWN CARE" or something like that.

PerfectEarth
04-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey i guess having my nice trailer and equipment and truck wasnt a bad idea after all, or my post cards or my sign in my front lawn etc.etc. etc..

Well, don't count your chickens before they hatch. No offense, you have a good start and might have accounts but you can't talk like you have succeeded already. You have not cut a blade of grass yet. I do wish you luck, though.

But your point about clean, nice, fresh equipment- I agree. People appreciate that and know the difference between scrubby looking and well-maintained trucks/trailers/equipment. It's VERY important.

bigw
04-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Any way you can get your name out there is worth it. I wish I could afford to do more advertising than i do, but then again, you can't afford to NOT advertise lol. Thinking about getting some little "voting signs" to put in yards after I do them, like "This lawn is professionally maintained by PRO CUT LAWN CARE" or something like that.

Thats a good idea...i thought of that myself.

CGlisson
04-13-2008, 11:14 PM
That seems to be a profitable idea, based on what other posts have said as well. I'm planning on getting some signs made for my trailer as well.

bigw
04-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Well, don't count your chickens before they hatch. No offense, you have a good start and might have accounts but you can't talk like you have succeeded already. You have not cut a blade of grass yet. I do wish you luck, though.

But your point about clean, nice, fresh equipment- I agree. People appreciate that and know the difference between scrubby looking and well-maintained trucks/trailers/equipment. It's VERY important.

Actually i did cut a few blades of grass already on friday, got a call someone wanted a 1x cut on a 1 1/2 acre lawn for an open house and i cut it for 80$ so i guess i officially started on friday....was the first time ever using my 60 ztr though and yes i was nervous as hell but i got used to it..lol

bigw
04-13-2008, 11:19 PM
That seems to be a profitable idea, based on what other posts have said as well. I'm planning on getting some signs made for my trailer as well.

Ill tell you what, putting that sign in my front lawn and building that flower wall has landed me like 8-9 jobs so far. i live on a busy corner at a traffic light so the sign is seen by thousands everyday!

HOOLIE
04-13-2008, 11:27 PM

Appearance may have helped, hard to say. But just from following BigW's posts over the winter, it seemed like he had a plan laid out and a timeline he stuck to, which I think was the main reason he's picked up so many customers already.

CGlisson
04-13-2008, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=bigw;2269669]Ill tell you what, putting that sign in my front lawn and building that flower wall has landed me like 8-9 jobs so far. i live on a busy corner at a traffic light so the sign is seen by thousands everyday![/QUOHG]

How many signs did you get made, and what was the ballpark for price?

Frue
04-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Actually i did cut a few blades of grass already on friday, got a call someone wanted a 1x cut on a 1 1/2 acre lawn for an open house and i cut it for 80$ so i guess i officially started on friday....was the first time ever using my 60 ztr though and yes i was nervous as hell but i got used to it..lol

What z did you get? And how close are you to me?

bigw
04-13-2008, 11:32 PM
What z did you get? And how close are you to me?

I have the exmark lazer and i am 343 miles away from you lol.

SNAPPER MAN
04-13-2008, 11:39 PM
That is awsome you got so many customers. I need to build up my customer base for maintenance so bad but im waiting to see if I get this big park before I go and advertise my ass off. You will love your Z bigw. It will save you soo much time and energy compared to a walkbehind and they cut a hell of alot better. Best of luck to you and enjoy working outdoors because I would probably kill myself if I had to sit in an office all day.

bigw
04-13-2008, 11:42 PM
That is awsome you got so many customers. I need to build up my customer base for maintenance so bad but im waiting to see if I get this big park before I go and advertise my ass off. You will love your Z bigw. It will save you soo much time and energy compared to a walkbehind and they cut a hell of alot better. Best of luck to you and enjoy working outdoors because I would probably kill myself if I had to sit in an office all day.

Hey thanks alot buddy and i hope you get that park and all the accounts you can handle...have faith the lord would not have brought you here if he wasnt going to provide and thats what i believe everyday!!!

Frue
04-13-2008, 11:44 PM
I have the exmark lazer and i am 343 miles away from you lol.

Are you running full swing tomorrow

04-14-2008, 12:56 AM

Sounds great big W! be safe and have a great summer!

bruno_rs
04-14-2008, 02:00 AM
hey big, you're off to a GREAT start!!! you've got alot going for you BUT i agree with one of the other posters... don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch. s#!t happens and things can change, in an instant. as long as you keep a "steady" pace, use caution and don't take on too much work, while you test the waters, you'll be fine.

been doing this a while and this year i'm REALLY feeling the "pinch" of the economy... VERY slow start here therefore very IMPRESSED with your #'s. your best selling tool (besides you) IS the beautiful equipment you were able to put together, in such a short period of time... good for you and put that "stuff" to good use! your appearance is that of a "veteran" landscaper. best of luck. have fun out there.

T-Cart
04-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Good luck to you Big W.

SNAPPER MAN
04-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Yes sir Bigw, you are right. Without the good lord we would be no where. He is the reason for my success and I thank him all the time. Im blessed to have all christian employees who dont drink, smoke, or curse. I have a pretty good company image going lol.

DK lawn care
04-14-2008, 12:49 PM
37 weekly and 4 bi weekly average lawn $57.00 and made over $8k in clean ups and mulch jobs and 2 edge stone jobs. also have about 5-6 open estimates still out their so i think im doing ok.

DAMN! I movin to ur town lol.:laugh:

Military Lawns
04-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Appearance may have helped, hard to say. But just from following BigW's posts over the winter, it seemed like he had a plan laid out and a timeline he stuck to, which I think was the main reason he's picked up so many customers already.

That is the key. Have a plan and stay the course until you are sure that it is either working or failing. A lot of people make continuous changes without evaluating what they currently have.

I have learned a lot from BIGW and his semi-aggressive tactics and the way he advertise. Caveat: What works for him will not work for everyone. However, I believe the basic framework is there.

DJ-

chesterlawn
04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey bigw, if you don't have a striper for your exmark, get one. This is the first year I have one, and man do the lawns turn out nice. Good luck.

newtostone
04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I second that, it will make your lawns stand out and make people ask wow who did that.

bone1
04-14-2008, 10:23 PM
good luck BIGW!!!! starting mine this year also!!

deere615
04-14-2008, 10:42 PM

Holy Cow you doing just fine! I am just starting to cut some of my lawns this week. Good luck this year!

THRIFTY
04-15-2008, 12:33 AM
So how did the first day of mowing go BigW???

Southern Signature
04-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Hope you make a million, good luck, happy cutting...

bigw
04-15-2008, 01:18 AM
So how did the first day of mowing go BigW???

see my other post