PDA

View Full Version : was getting new ztr good idea?

edgeman2003
04-14-2008, 12:09 AM
I just bought a new ztr scag turf tiger 27hp kohler w/ 61'' deck for $8,700. which I got a 3.9% apr for 36 months, no payments until 7th month. I just felt I needed to get it now because it was the last one at that price. I wont be using it much this year because of it size. more for down the road and if a commercial account comes along. Then I will be ready. I have a full time job, so the monthly payment I can make with earning a dime from mowing. just wanted to know what you guy think or would have done? the price it was either pay $8,700 now or pay $10,200 a month later when they reorder.

hef37087
04-14-2008, 12:21 AM
I am in the same situation with a full time job elsewhere. Go for it, but hurry up and start making the yrds you cut pay for it. I know a guy here in my hometown that did the same thing a few yrs back and it worked great for him, but like I stated earlier....make the mower pay for itself, don't wait. Hustle and find yrds to cut.

Raven386
04-14-2008, 12:22 AM
I would have done it too, worse case scenario you can sell it and lose a few bucks. hopefully some bigger accounts will come along now...good luck with it!

edgeman2003
04-14-2008, 01:38 AM
my problem is I have a sports car and a sedan car. I need a cheap truck or something. I can get a trailer for $1,200 open 6'4''x12 need something to pull it

andyslawncare
04-14-2008, 02:01 AM
I would have bought it...and I did. I bought one this year and last year and the year before...before we needed it...buying a good new mower with warantee is a great thing. I started when I was 17 and still in high school and $7,000 was alot. If you want to keep the mower, you'll make it work...
frankly, if you want to make the lawn business work you need to invest in advertising and do it full time. It sounds like alot to quit your job...but if you get 50 contracts year round you sit at home all winter collect money and work hard right now to get them. over time when full time also, you will come to the point of hireing and expanding...50 contracts will turn to 200 before you know it...50 residential contracts will pay over $50,000/year + the other work you'll pick up besides just lawns...only like 60% of the time is spent mowing for us during the year and when you are full time, you are always going to be picking up new clients...even during the winter!
I'm not just saying this as a 19 year old kid or anything...My dad is 46 and he saw my success and started his own thing also.

GrassQuester
04-14-2008, 04:27 AM
A 61 inch mower is rather large, You failed to say how big the yards you were trying to get were, if your planning on getting 1 plus acre yards yes you made a good decision under that I like my 2 zero turn scags both 48s and my hydro exmark 36 for back gates.

lawnkingforever
04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Good luck with that purchase of the Z. Don't let that thing sit around, find some business and make some money with it. I am also parttime, and thought about buying a ZT, but decided the equipment I have will suffice for another season. I do not like to purchase equipment until the puchase is justified with the the business. But when you do need it, you will already have it. In my case I have already turned down business this year because I am gun shy about scratching that big check for a ZT.

edgeman2003
04-15-2008, 08:17 PM
yeah thats why im trying to get larger contracts before I have to start paying on it. That 7 months from now. That the only payment I have to make, all the rest of equipment is paid for.

GrassQuester
04-16-2008, 02:45 AM
Good luck with that purchase of the Z. Don't let that thing sit around, find some business and make some money with it. I am also parttime, and thought about buying a ZT, but decided the equipment I have will suffice for another season. I do not like to purchase equipment until the puchase is justified with the the business. But when you do need it, you will already have it. In my case I have already turned down business this year because I am gun shy about scratching that big check for a ZT.

Sign that check it will be worth it soon. Why would you be gun shy? Dont be gun shy unless you are in Clint Eastwood's scopes, We only live 1 time make every minute a challenge!Good grief the problem is alot on here you all want to budget every stupid penny.chill out people ! You will make the mower sale for practically nothing if you have a accountant!

capnsac
04-16-2008, 04:22 AM
Shoot ya, its better to be over prepared then under prepared. If you have good intentions on getting yourself up and running then you did the right thing. If you just impulse bought the thing then you probably did not. The best part about life is you have a chance to correct your mistakes and learn from them. What's done is done, what you do now is all that matters. Stay positive and things will work out one way or another.

edgeman2003
04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
thanks everyone for your support. I just got my turf tiger delivered five minutes ago. the thing is a great, I love it. Now time to make the money!