PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a carburetor problem?

CFB
04-14-2008, 12:31 AM
I am engine illiterate. I bought a mower that has been sitting for a year. The fuel was not drained and their is no shutoff valve for the fuel. The engine will not start. Guy sprayed starter fuel into the engine and it fired up to show me that it worked (I assume this is not a good thing to do). But, now that I got it home, it will not start.

Does this mean I need a new carb? And are they simple to install, if so?

Or could it be something else?

Bill Kapaun
04-14-2008, 12:55 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

CFB
04-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Ok it is a gravely 1332 WB. 32"

Engine is 13hp Kaw FH381V

And what I've done to correct the problem is nothing because I'm not sure what to do. But I want to learn how to fix my machines.

CFB
04-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I put new gas in it and I put a little gas in the carb and it started right up. I let it run for a several minutes and it ran fine. I shut it off and then started it again and it started right up.

Went back a few hours later and tried to start it and it would not start.

Any ideas?

SLR
04-14-2008, 02:08 PM
My 2cents=
Inside Carb: take apart and clean entire float bowl area. Most likely valve needle gummed/sticking. Check/replace inline fuel filter, spark plug, air filter, drain all gas,replace motor oil,
Thats where i would start my elimination process.

sawman65
04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
those kaw's have a carb bowl drain. small screw on the bowl open and let fule drain for a min. or so then try again

CFB
04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
O.K. I'll try that too.

CFB
04-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I took the carb off and the bowl and cleaned it. There was hardly anything that needed to be cleaned. I couldn't reach the needle to find out if it was sticking. It still would not fire up after I cleaned it.

Restrorob
04-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Apply the choke, Look down the air filter base to see if the butterfly is FULLY closed. Stick your finger down in there and see if it closes any further when pushed. It must close FULLY for cold starts.

Adjust the cable if need be for FULL closure....

CFB
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
OK restro, thanks I'll check that out.

Also maybe I don't know how I should clean the carb. I'm still thinking this might be the issue. It is getting gas from the fuel pump so that is not the issue.

Does it need to be taken apart and cleaned with carb cleaner? What all needs to be cleaned on it?

CFB
04-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Restro it was the choke cable. Thank you sir and the other guys who replied. And sorry for being a little slow, but I just have no idea what makes an engine go and am trying to learn how to do more on my own. Thanks again.

EMJ
04-14-2008, 07:09 PM
I have a little can of Chem-dip carb and parts cleaner. Take the carb a part. Remove all gaskets and such. Soak in the can of carb cleaner, rinse with water, blow out all holes with compressed air. Make sure air travels through all the little passage ways. That should clean your carb pretty good. While you are at it pick up a gasket kit for it.

Restrorob
04-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Glad to hear you found the problem....http://forums.vr-zone.com/images/smilies/biggthumpup1.gif

CFB
04-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a little can of Chem-dip carb and parts cleaner. Take the carb a part. Remove all gaskets and such. Soak in the can of carb cleaner, rinse with water, blow out all holes with compressed air. Make sure air travels through all the little passage ways. That should clean your carb pretty good. While you are at it pick up a gasket kit for it.

Thanks I will do that.

CFB
04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Glad to hear you found the problem....http://forums.vr-zone.com/images/smilies/biggthumpup1.gif

Unfortanately, it is still not right. I spoke to soon. It starts but it dies in about a minute. Guessing still a carb thing. Replaced the fuel line and inline filter. Could be the fuel pump. Frustrating, but I think now those are the only two things it could be.

SLR
04-17-2008, 02:56 PM
I still say it's that little fuel valve needle sticking, inside float bowl..or perhaps there's some gunk junk on the inside bottom of the gas tank itself only allowing gas to seep through.

CFB
04-17-2008, 10:50 PM
so how do I loosen it...the needle? I don't even know how to get to it. I took off the float bowl...does the needle come down into the float bowl?

EMJ
04-18-2008, 06:26 AM
Normaly there is a pin that hold the float to the carb body. Remove the pin and the float and needle should come off of the carb body. Then clean with carb cleaner.

SLR
04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
so how do I loosen it...the needle? I don't even know how to get to it.
---------------
While sliding out pin as EMJ said, keep hand underneath area to catch that needle valve(they usually fall right out,and have a tendancy to go bouncing & hide)
Just make sure it all goes back the way it came out. Then make sure there's NO sticking,when it slides up/down inside of area inside.

44DCNF
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
The needle will likely come out when the float is removed...but you run the risk of bending the tang on the float and altering the float adjustment if you don't know what you are doing. You should be able to pull the retaining pin from the hinged side of the float with a needle nose plier. The float will be free but has a needle valve lightly attached to it by a clip that slides over the tang on the valve. You can look up into the carb at the valve and see if it is hanging in the up or closed position as the float drops down. If that is the case you probably need a new needle and seat.

Have you looked in the tank to see if there is water in the bottom? When you drained the bowl was there water in what you removed? Run it again untill it dies and then drain the bowl into a clear vessel. If it was water that is killing the engine, it will collect on the bottom of what you remove. This is done by pressing the little button on the bottom of the carb bowl.

If you find evidence of water, I would suggest, rather than tear into the carb since by your own admission you are not sure what you are doing yet, to put some SeaFoam or gas line antifreeze in the tank and shake the machine to mix it up. This may disperse any water enough that it will go through the carb in tiny droplets which will get burned, as opposed to killing the engine. That, or remove a fuel line and drain the tank if water is found.

CFB
04-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys. I replaced the fuel pump, and I took off the needle and cleaned, there is no sticking. Cleaned the carb again everywhere thouroghly. Engine now seems to be running good. I mowed for about 10 minutes with it at my house. I don't know what fixed it, maybe a combination of choke/dirty carb/fuel pump. Whatever it was thanks again I learned a lot from your guys help.

44DCNF: I will try that seafoam. I don't think there was any water in the fuel, I saw no sign of it. I didn't know that needle one the carb would fall out when I pulled the pin...but luckily I found it on the ground. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

SLR
04-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I didn't know that needle one the carb would fall out when I pulled the pin...but luckily I found it on the ground.
---------
Then you didn't read post#19 :)

CFB
04-20-2008, 07:11 PM
I had already taken it off before post 19 was made. Thanks for helping.

SLR
04-21-2008, 07:13 PM
What has the results been thus far KJones?