PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane vs Wright Stander

AB Lawn Care
01-27-2000, 10:28 PM
I have seen that Great Dane and Wright Stander both look like they would be great mowers both are fast,zero turn,stable on hilly areas and they don't take up much needed room on trailers.I am convinced they would be at least looking into.But the problem i have is not are they a good mower it is what's better Dane or Stander?Has anyone tryed both mowers?What one did you pick?If any one has any idea on witch is better please let me know what you think.<p>THANKS! <br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

Lazer
01-27-2000, 10:50 PM
Ran them both.<p>I like the Super Surfer by Great Dane with the large rear tires and quick-adjust height of cut. (Haven't run that particular one, though)<p>Both machines are built by gentlemen who are innovative and have a history of quality products.

ashlandscaping
01-28-2000, 11:31 AM
I have ran both and I own Great Danes. Dane just came out with a new super surfer for this season it is alot better then the Wright Stander more updated. Here keep this in mind Dane Scag designed the wright stander for the Grass Gobbler company First cutter they ever made. Then Dane designed the Surfer. I like the ride and comfort of the Surfer better. Go down to your dealer and see if they have a new Super Surfer their yet, most likey not the Mid-Am show last week was the first showing of the super surfer. I have had a chance to play with one but not cut with one yet since snow on the ground but the feel is to me aleast is that much better. Here a guy by me who used to be a chopper man sold all his riders and gave his guys surfers to use, They cut mostly multi-faimly and comm. but this machine has saved him about 15 hours a week in cutting. This machine will cut anywhere a walk behind can go. In spring take a demo for a couple days one of both and try them out see which you like better.

Lazer
01-28-2000, 02:35 PM
ashlandscaping,<p>I was at the mid-am as well. Kinda cool, I guess. We bought a ton of plants.<p>As I understand it, Lawn-Wright (builders of Grass Gobbler, Clip software, Velke, Wright Stander, etc.) owns the patent for that type of machine. Dane Scag builds the Surfer under license from them. That's what I was told anyway.<p>The Dane is already more cutting edge with the quick adjust HOC and larger drive tires.

Barkleymut
01-28-2000, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know what the cost for each of these mowers is? Just a ball park guess even? I'm just curious. Thanks

Lazer
01-28-2000, 08:22 PM
I think they're about $1000 more than their walk behind counterparts w/ the same engine/deck size etc.

moonarrow
01-29-2000, 04:35 PM
I own a wright stander and love compared it to the dane I liked the wright better the front whells on the dane were to big and stuck out to far I used walk behindes with sulikes when worked for others and the wright saves at least 1/3 the time it strips good and is very manuverable have had it for one season and had no problems in 300 hrs. paid $3800 for it new good luck <p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape

Kent Lawns
01-29-2000, 04:51 PM
What engine and deck size for $3800?

moonarrow
01-29-2000, 05:25 PM
48&quot; deck 18 hp b&g vangard v-twin<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape

ashlandscaping
01-29-2000, 05:27 PM
Hey Lazer it was a good show. No as far as Dane and Wright goes Wright Suied Dane for the design so Dane Scagg redesigned the mowwer which is the Super Surfer. And put a patent on it total differant then Wright so now no more problems. Great Dane came out before the wright Stander did. As far as the wheels go I like that plus the Danes wheels hold up better then the Wright. I saw a lot of guys going and buying Danes front wheels and bolting them on to the Wright Standers to get rid of the problems of breaking them off all the time. As far as price goes 52 20hp Great Dane is around $ 4500 about a $ 1000 more then a walk behind give or take a few dollars. BUT a couple thousand less then the common ZTR riders. Plus takes up less space.

Lazer
01-29-2000, 05:35 PM
That's a great price, moonarrow. That's not any more than a hydro 18hp 48' walk-behind.<p>ash,<br>My buddy talked to Dane Scag at the Mid-Am and Dane said the issue is far from over. Anyway, I wish I could get my hands on a Super Surfer now before the season begins. They've been working on that for a while.

MRPLOW
01-31-2000, 10:28 AM
The great Dane came out first, but the Wright Stander was in testing for a couple of years before. Moonarrow does the Wright machine stripe good, I know a guy with a Great Dane that wont stripe.

lawrence stone
01-31-2000, 04:04 PM
This striping thingy must be regional.<p>The contractors in my area don't bother.<p>Folks in my area perfer that the turf look<br>like a sea of green.<p>The day after I mow with my old Toros you<br>don't see any wheel marks etc.<p>IMHO striping should be left to golf course<br>fairways. But regional tastes will prevail.<p>Although Toro does offer striping kits for<br>WB's at the toro web site this year.

MRPLOW
01-31-2000, 04:46 PM
The Great Dane is the only commercial mower I have ever heard of that doesn't stripe.

ashlandscaping
01-31-2000, 06:15 PM
Well I have a Great Dane and we have not had a problem getting it to strip. It must be the person in control. I have done my own lawn with the Surfer and no probs did it perfect. And it tracks good so nice lines as well.

moonarrow
01-31-2000, 06:26 PM
I stripe all my properties with my wright with no problems tracks straight I love it although people around had never seen stripes before and asked me why do you put them stripes in diferent directions. but after they got use to them they liked it<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape

JimVelke
12-23-2000, 12:09 AM
Lazer / Ashlandscaping / MRPLOW / Moonarrow- I know I'm a little late getting in on this conversation but let me set the record straight. Lazer was right about much of what he said about the license, wrong about the SS having larger drive tires and Ash can'nt be more wrong about Dane designing the Stander. MRPLOW is right and Moonarrow knows a great mower.
I happen to know a lot about this because I designed the Wright Stander.

Dane Scag was not involved in designing the Stander at all.
I began work on it in 1993. Our first patent on the Stand up mower concept was issued in the spring of 1996. Dane only started on the Surfer in 1996 and quickly showed it in the fall.
We sued Great Dane which resulted in him having to stop making the Surfer. He attempted to design around our patents with the Super Surfer but failed. We desided that for the right amount of money we would give him a license to make the Super Surfer with limitations on the design. Thats why "our" patent numbers are on his machine.
The limitations keep him from getting the kind of weight distribution you need to cross hills, back up hills and turn quickly.
He attempted to minimize these problems by using small frame tubing, lighter gauge steel for the deck, no scalp wheels on front etc.
The quick HOC change looks appealing to people but drastic blade belt angles can greatly reduce belt life.
If quick HOC change is important to you then check out our NEW Wright Sentar mower. (Stand or Sit and no deck HOC changes faster)

The truth will set you free.

accuratelawn
12-23-2000, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the post. Where can we find info and pictures of the Sentar?

Eric ELM
12-23-2000, 12:59 AM
Welcome to Lawnsite Jim. That was very interesting information you gave in your post. It's always good to hear from someone that can clear up this information. Now we don't have to wonder anymore.

JimVelke
12-23-2000, 08:34 AM
Accuratelawn- You should be seeing the Sentar any time now in the trade magazines. We will also have the brochures in a few weeks. Keep checking our web-site http://www.Wrightmfg.com Our web designer is working on our new webpage now. Just about all of our Distributors are showing it around but if you go to most any of the winter equipment trade shows... you should see it.
It may be tough getting one though. Demand is high and it will take some time to get ahead of the orders we already have. Kinda like tring to get a Playstation 2 right now. Funny they cost about $300 but people are reselling them in the paper for $1000 or more.

Richard Martin
12-23-2000, 09:54 AM
Jim,
I noticed that your last name is Velke and that you work for Wright Mfg. Did you by any chance have anything to do with the Velke sulky or did you choose that name because you work for the company that makes Velke sulkies?

BRL
12-23-2000, 01:16 PM
Richard,
We are posting with the one & only Velke. Check out this thread.
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=6471

JimVelke
12-23-2000, 11:21 PM
Richard - I'm proud to say that it's my real name.