PDA

View Full Version : Centipede grass...South...need advice

dambro7
04-14-2008, 09:39 AM
This may not be the right forum for this, but here goes:

I appreciate any and all advice in advance:

This is my first home and my first yard. I live in Mobile, AL (very sandy soil) and have centipede grass that is exactly 13 months old last week. I applied my first fertilizer (Lesco 15-0-15) three weeks ago. After two good weeks of rain, my yard is greener than it's ever been and is beginning to get thick. However, in hind sight, I think I should have just used a weed and feed because I'm getting a good deal of weeds of all varieties. What are my options now for getting rid of the weeds? I'm afraid of doing something stupid and burning the grass? How long do I need to wait to apply any kind of weed and feed? Any suggestions are welcomed.
thanks
jd

PHS
04-14-2008, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't weed n' feed, pumping up the N on Centipede isn't a good idea. Go to the nursery and get some weed-b-gone or something like that and spray seperately.

greendoctor
04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Weed-B-Gon has triclopyr, which is a no-no on centipede. If you are a homeowner, wait until full green up and hit the weeds with Image or the 4% atrazine that can be found in hardware stores. If you have the means to evenly apply a set dosage per 1000 sq ft, it is ok to mix the two and really get the weeds out. The 15-0-15 was a good idea, centipede likes high potassium. Most lawn blends have too much phosphorus and nitrogen in relation to potassium. Good luck and congrats on your new home.

RAlmaroad
04-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Weed-B-Gon has triclopyr, which is a no-no on centipede. If you are a homeowner, wait until full green up and hit the weeds with Image or the 4% atrazine that can be found in hardware stores. If you have the means to evenly apply a set dosage per 1000 sq ft, it is ok to mix the two and really get the weeds out. The 15-0-15 was a good idea, centipede likes high potassium. Most lawn blends have too much phosphorus and nitrogen in relation to potassium. Good luck and congrats on your new home.

Good Advise and forget most things with 2-4D also. There's some with low dosage of Dicamba that could work but I still think there're iffy. Follow Turfdoctor, and if you get sedges or Green Kyliinga--write again.

greendoctor
04-14-2008, 02:30 PM
If you use Image, the kyllinga and sedges are gone. Here in Hawaii, Image was a salvation when it became available. Lawns here are always infested with purple nutsedge and kyllinga. When I was a kid, I remember my father experimenting with RoundUp to kill nutsedge in the lawn. Lawn looked like a missile test site afterward. One caution, please be sure that any lawn you spray with Image is well watered and fertilized or it will wipe out the lawn too. I have seen it happen.

RAlmaroad
04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
If you use Image, the kyllinga and sedges are gone. Here in Hawaii, Image was a salvation when it became available. Lawns here are always infested with purple nutsedge and kyllinga. When I was a kid, I remember my father experimenting with RoundUp to kill nutsedge in the lawn. Lawn looked like a missile test site afterward. One caution, please be sure that any lawn you spray with Image is well watered and fertilized or it will wipe out the lawn too. I have seen it happen.

Doc:
On this east coast Image is good but was not effective on the sedges nor the kyliinga. Noted that my test were on a more severe test site. Image did well on most of the broader broadleafs but the thinner blades did not do so well. It did yellow them and two (2) more applications were needed to get them under control. But the next year the kyliinga was there again. Nutlets seems to be less affected. I mixed some Basagran with Atrazine on another of my graveyard looking sites, Dismiss, Vantage, Sedgehammer with sticker. (I had that red survey tape on sticks marking a 6' X 6' area with the herbicide on a stick). Back road county lot in SC. Anyway I tested several (3) other things. I row with two application, and yet another row of the 4 chem with three application. Each application was 14 days apart. This took me two months and by the end of the second month the Atrazine and Basagran had almost killed the whole plot. One of the best looking was the three application of Image that had been watered, and the cleanest was the Dismiss. Non got any water other than a few showers and a couple of soaker rains as it does on the coast.
Not saying that Image was not totally uneffective; and yes, I watered it in the next day with about 4 gallons of water from the backpack because I didn't have water there. I could have filled up the barrel but felt that 4 gal would simulate rain.
I really like Image and suggest it for control of many thing like dollarweed, spurge, shepherds purse, etc. I just found it requiring more applications. It could be because of weeds and turf going dormancy early and not being able to apply it early enough in the spring for it to be as effective in your state since you probably do not have a true dormancy season.
Anyway, just good advise from you as ever.

dambro7
04-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

Doctor: I just read the label on the IMAGE product online and it states, "Do not use on St. Augustine or Centipede grass."

http://www.walterreeves.com/uploads/pdf/imagecrabgrasslabel.pdf

Am I looking at the wrong product?

thanks
jd

dambro7
04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
If I had read a little further I would have found the right IMAGE product...

http://www.walterreeves.com/uploads/pdf/imagestauglabel.pdf

Thanks again

GreenthumbGA
04-14-2008, 08:50 PM
We tend to use the 20 0 20 with atrazine from lesco. They sell the atrazine seperate. I have seen it at the feed and seeds to. Matter of fact, I have seen it at lowes.

PHS
04-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Green, Didn't realize there were different formulations of weed-b-gone. The one they sell here doesn't have triclopyr,

http://pestregdocs.ldaf.state.la.us/existingdocs/labels/a_prodnum/23529/20060928-100801.pdf

This is the Image we're refering to is with Imazaquin.

http://pestregdocs.ldaf.state.la.us/existingdocs/labels/a_prodnum/7110/20050624-091759.pdf

It's $120 per container that's why I didn't suggest it the first time but it does work well.

greendoctor
04-15-2008, 01:43 AM
I think different climates lead to varying results. Also all of the fine turf I maintain has automatic irrigation. No irrigation, no grass. In many parts of this state, it only rains 5-10 times per year. Think Gilligan's Island, tropic desert Isle. Image does not work unless it is watered into the root zone of sedges and the area kept moist thereafter. I would love to be able to use Dismiss, DOA here has banned that. Right now I use a tank mix of Image and Quicksilver to hurt sedges in a matter of days. It really impresses the client when a lawn full of Kyllinga turns yellow in one week. Does not cost me more than I can afford either. My budget for turf herbicides is up to $5 M. If someone wants it cheaper they can kill their lawn with Weed-B-Gon and leave me out of it.

RAlmaroad
04-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Green, Didn't realize there were different formulations of weed-b-gone. The one they sell here doesn't have triclopyr,

http://pestregdocs.ldaf.state.la.us/existingdocs/labels/a_prodnum/23529/20060928-100801.pdf

This is the Image we're refering to is with Imazaquin.

http://pestregdocs.ldaf.state.la.us/existingdocs/labels/a_prodnum/7110/20050624-091759.pdf

It's $120 per container that's why I didn't suggest it the first time but it does work well.

YES YES YES--Good job on that Weed-B-Gon. A Neighbor friends found that out the hard way. I even recommend that hose-end application of Image that covers about 6K. You water it in as you go. Fairly good price at about $22 at Lowes. Repeat in two weeks during actively growing season.

PHS
04-15-2008, 08:47 AM
My mother-in-law gave me a bottle of weed-b-gone to use up because she wasn't going to. It's labeled for warm-season grasses but doesn't make any mention of it being a "southern formula" that's why I figured they were the same. The newer label I linked makes the distinction clearly, probably because of this confusion :).

Pro-Scapes
04-15-2008, 09:06 AM
excellent advice with the atrazine. This is what we use. We also use a preemergent in the fall for weeds. I can actually get 40% atrazine here but it requires an applicators license due to the residue.

Before you dump loads of fert on your lawn besure to pull a soil sample

1 quart of 4% atrazine will treat about 3750 sq ft.

Elden
04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
depending on the size of the yard I say pull em by hand. with the turf being brand new it stands a greater chance of being damaged from herbicides. It could be that they are winter annual weeds and they will naturally die in a few weeks anyways. when you mow bag to keep as many seeds as possible from getting back into the lawn.

Did you get a frost where you are in Mobile? Just wondering I'm in Pensacola and we lucked out, no frost.