PDA

View Full Version : Getting accounts

iMOW LAWNCARE
04-14-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm just starting my business. I've been reading on here for a while and this is my first post. Lots of good info here. What is the most effective way to get new accounts? I've been flyering neighborhoods and talking to people alot, and I only have a small had full of clients. Although we haven't had much of a spring here yet, dry and cold for the most part. I have roughly 2000 flyers out. Hopefully it will pick up.

j05h22
04-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I've found that once you get out and mowing the neighbors notice (if you do a good job ha ha) and ask for your card. So make sure you have business cards b/c people tend to blow you off if you don't... Also signs do me good to, try 3000doorhangers.com. Good luck! :)

rcracer
04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
pass out fliers to I have passed out about 150 fliers and have gotten about 6 accounts from that. And also word of mouth, I have had a few people call that people referred me to them. Good luck this year:usflag:

ALC-GregH
04-14-2008, 12:56 PM
rcracer, whats up with the name? Do you race r/c cars?

rcracer
04-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah I race 1/8 scale offroad and 1/8 dirt oval. On the offroad I have a CEN Matrix truggy and the dirt oval I have a Ofna Lx it is alot of fun to get out there and air them out and dice it up! I can put some pics up of my truggy if you would like:usflag:

marathonmow
04-14-2008, 01:37 PM
I've found that a lot of people aren't thinking about their grass until it should have been mowed 2 weeks ago. Then they call. I've only used my web site and other searches, so they find me. So, wait until the grass is growing.

ALC-GregH
04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah I race 1/8 scale offroad and 1/8 dirt oval. On the offroad I have a CEN Matrix truggy and the dirt oval I have a Ofna Lx it is alot of fun to get out there and air them out and dice it up! I can put some pics up of my truggy if you would like:usflag:
I've been racing for 15 years. I race the XB8EC in buggy only. No truggy, I tried it and I can't wheel the buggy as good after running truggy. LOL
Have you ever raced at Real R/C? I was at the 2000 ROAR nats when Kinwald wheeled everyone. Heres my ride. :)http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn1806.jpg

ALC-GregH
04-14-2008, 02:28 PM
that was before I went to CRCRC in Ohio. Thats why you see the Switches on there. I usually run CrimeFighters everywhere else. :)

Sorry for robbing the thread.

Buddy Buds
04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
:walking:I've sent out postcards and run a couple of ads in the paper. The paper has been more effective for me. I've gotten eleven last week and today.

ponyboy
04-14-2008, 05:36 PM
just low ball like most other newbies and from what i have seen this year some of the bigger lco guess they are working just pay bills not make a profit, it is gonna be a tough year. Seriously signs and business cards along with quality work once the wheather warms up you should get some calls good luck

rcracer
04-14-2008, 08:19 PM
I just race around oklahoma city it is a good time here is my truggy body I painted:usflag:

iMOW LAWNCARE
04-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the feed back. I have business cards. Thinking of getting some of those magnetic signs for my truck. As far as an ad in the paper, does it just go in the classifieds or what?

And no, I won't low ball. I have friends in the business and they have helped me with the bidding. We have only had one nice weekend this spring so far. It got up to 80 yesterday, and tomorrows high is only supposed to be around 40 with rain/possible snow showers. (crazy)

I love this site, lots of good info. I know I'll succeed because I'm obsessed with it. I'm gonna go polish my mower now thanks.

slone
04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
In The Cleveland, Oh. Area We Have An Organization Called The Council Of Aging. They Provide A List Of Different Contractors To The Elderly. If You Have Something Like This You Can Add Your Name To The List. I Get A Lot Of Calls From This. Sometimes It Works And Sometimes It Don't. Worth A Try Though. Also Ask Some Of The Guys Out Working For The Fertilizer Companies. They Get Asked Alot If They Know Someone Who Mows Lawns. Hope This Helps

Buddy Buds
04-15-2008, 07:30 AM
In our paper they have a contractors page where you sign contracts form at least 3 months at 206.00 a mo. I use the classified services section. It cost me 94.50 for two weeks without a contract.

TexasFire221
04-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Yard signs and door magnets on the truck are the best way to get business. I have no put a single ad in any paper or sent out any post cards and I picked up 5 new accounts in the last week. Everyday I go out to mow I get stopped. A month ago I was worried of not having much to do. Now im worried I have too much to do!

ALC-GregH
04-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm having custom vinyl lettering done for my truck. I should have them by the end of the week. :)

iMOW LAWNCARE
04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Today I'm gonna go get magnetic signs for my truck. Got a call last night from a door hanger. Talked to one of my buddies who got me started (he gave me an old 36" walk behind) and he has only picked up a couple of new accounts. He is pretty much doing spring cleanups for his clients he has had for years. So I guess its slow here still, feels like winter here this morning.(boise ID)

CuttingEdgeTM
04-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm sure it will pick up North in no time at all - you guys will have more work than you know what to do with once the temp gets up there! Hang in there.

EliteImpressions
04-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Try Craigslist. Ive picked up 3 accounts so far and have not put out a dime. And not everyone on CL is looking for the cheapest. I just landed an account with maybe 6k cutting area for $35. Might take 20 min from start to finish.

I also have 2 more Im 90% sure I have and 2 that are on the fence since Im charging more then everyone else.

Lawnut101
04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm sure it will pick up North in no time at all - you guys will have more work than you know what to do with once the temp gets up there! Hang in there.

Thanks for the encouragement, I need it as much as the guy that started the thread does. I'm having a hard time getting jobs.

iMOW LAWNCARE
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I thought I would try an ad on Craigslist.com. Its free so why not right. I placed the add two days ago, and have had 5 calls from it so far. Two yards were too far away for me. But I got 3 new clients in two days off of Craigslist.com. Not to bad, thought I would pass it on.

H&H Lawn Service
04-19-2008, 12:52 PM
EliteImpressions

I noticed you have used Craigslist with some success to pick up a few new accounts. May I ask what you list your ad under on their web site? Let me know when you get a chance.

F3Nelson
04-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I have had zero luck on CL, I hear some are having some luck. I would love to see a post that is getting hits, thanks in advance

Turfrific
04-19-2008, 02:34 PM
list it in at least two spots under services,( moving/labor ),then put it in another section like home and garden equipment for sell.

EliteImpressions
04-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I dont think it matters what you put it under. The key is the words you use in your ad. Im not talking about the title, because that doesnt have anything to do with when people search for services.

At the bottom you want to type in key words. Becuase you may use landscape in your ad but they search landscaping. Or they type in mow, when you have mowing.

I have had good luck with puting my ad and then at the bottom leave a few lines empty and type all the words you think they might type: mow, mower, mowing, landscape, landscaping, landscaper, lawn, aerate, aerating, aeration, fert, fertilizer, fertilization, weed, grass, garden, plant.

Hope this helps, but I actually just got burnt yesterday. I mow their lawn and it takes longer becuase it looked like it never got edged in a few years. I received cash on the spot but when I sent an email if there was anything I missed I get the following reply. Joe, the lawn looks great but the 6th graders must help out neighbors as part of school so I will contact you when I need you, Thanks for understanding. If I would have known, I would have charged more.

H&H Lawn Service
04-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Sorry to hear about you loosing the account...

I appreciate your ideas for Craigslist....I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Good luck this season!

chip&c
04-19-2008, 07:37 PM
You wrote... I just landed an account with maybe 6k cutting area for $35. Might take 20 min from start to finish.
Is this a good way for me to start out? that is priceing bye the square foot?

Chip

iMOW LAWNCARE
04-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I picked up 3 from craigs list. I like the idea of putting everything you can think of, that the public might search for at the bottom. I'm gonna add that to my post. My company name "iMOW LAWNCARE" comes up on a few different searches. I'm just starting out so this is a huge learning experience. I still have a full time job, with mondays and tuesdays as my day off. My goal right now is to quit my job and net 40k just mowing, so I can ski all winter. Doesnt seem to far out of reach.:drinkup:

EliteImpressions
04-19-2008, 08:28 PM
chip&c,

Im just starting as well. But I charge by how long I think it will take. I use my house as a guide line. If I think it can be done in 45 minutes I will charge around $35. I only have a 32" mower though. If I had a 36 or 48, I could knock out the same yard in around 35 minutes, which would be about $1 per minute which is my goal. Im charging about what the big guys charge, but it takes a little longer becuase I dont have the bigger, nicer equipment right now.

iMOW LAWNCARE
04-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I use my own yard as a guide as well. I've just started to bid a little higher because I think I do too good of a job (i'm a little anal), and it takes me longer. This week I've started to bid jobs 5 bucks higher than when I first made my first bid, and I got 3 new accounts this week. I just need my phone to keep ringing. good luck to ya