PDA

View Full Version : Walker 20 Hp Kolher 2001

wacky zachy
04-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Oil in the aircleaner housing any idea what would cause this ? it seems to run fine and not miss a beat am just concerned it will be a problem soon?

tomo
04-14-2008, 05:18 PM
hello,
From your description oil is sitting on top of carby [on the air cleaner base ]just enough to wet your finger ,more or less ?
The oil is most likely coming from the breather tube which is part of the positive crank case ventalation system [ PCV ]
Check in side the rubber tube which is located in the airfilter base .
If there is some oil it can be as below
1/ the pcv filter needs changing as it is degraded and can no longer control
the oils access to the exit . parts are cheap and u will need a gasket also
2/ The reed valve and the surface it seals against maybe worn . part is cheap and do this with no 1 .
3/ replace the rubber hose if not already done so with the high temp version [red in colour] The hoses crack and let dust in causing potential engine failure .

After u have done the cheap/ easy repairs there is a test u can perform .
Place a vacumn guage over the breather port located on the pcv top cover . When engine is running a vacumn should be present . If u have pressure there it means compression is escaping into the crank case either a blown head gasket and /or the cylinder bores /rings are worn .

tomo:waving:

wacky zachy
04-15-2008, 08:33 AM
i just looked at the service manual which shows the whole top of the motor and air cleaner housing and don't see a pvc on this motor, there is one on a carb motor? if i trace back where that rubber hose goes will i find. if you can please explain

thanks again Tomo

2stroke
04-15-2008, 09:16 AM
ine threw a bunch of oil into the aircleaner when my fuelpump was having an issue. hope this helps.

tomo
04-17-2008, 07:02 AM
hello,
Do u have a black rubber hose coming of the engine thru the air filter housing base and pointing to the carby ??
Where the hose is connected to the engine ,it is actually a cover which covers the filter and reed valve .
PCV = positive crankcase ventalation

[this only applies to walkers fitted with v twin kohler and the donaldson airfilter setup /remote air intake]
[i suspect that there was a airfilter setup on very early walkers that were different ]

tomo:waving: