PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick growing ground cover for a shady area

ProStreetCamaro
04-14-2008, 05:06 PM
I have a friend/customer that has a townhouse with a small back yard. The back has a large tree in the corner and a tall fence around the backyard. The combination of the tree, tall fence and the townhouse itself makes it very shady and near impossible for grass to thrive. What they want is a fast growing ground cover that thrives in the shade. I was thinking pakasandra would fit the bill nicely. What do you guys suggest?

Isobel
04-14-2008, 06:44 PM
either Pachysandra or Vinca would be the two that pop out in my head first.

Dreams To Designs
04-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Most groundcovers will not start quickly. The big three for shade pachysandra, vinca and english ivy all have similar growing habits. First year they sleep, second year they creep & the third year they leap. The more you plant, the quicker and tighter they will fill in.

Kirk

PaperCutter
04-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Also be careful what you use- if the grower's guide says "vigorous," know that in 3-4 years you'll be pulling it off every surface within 100' of where you want it. I have a feeling I may regret the glechoma I used last year...

Pachy would be a good look; you could interplant some ferns to add some interest and height.