PDA

View Full Version : Grass Clippings

zapmaz
04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Hi just starting out. Was wondering what the benefit is to collect grass clippings or Not collecting the clippings. Also we have a landfill to dump the clippings but is many miles away. What do I do? I dont want to break the
law dumping in a dumpster. I also dont have trash pickup as I live in an
apartment community. Any suggestions?

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-14-2008, 05:44 PM
don't bag........it is better for the lawn to return the clippings back to the grass.......problem solved.......that will be $50.00...........

sandman23
04-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I only bag during leaf season, when "scalping" Bermuda, or to help get rid of disease. Other than that, I mulch clippings.

RedSox4Life
04-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I could definitley be off on the numbers, but I seem to remember the lawn getting something like 30% of it's nitrogen from the clippings.......

ATVracer
04-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I could definitley be off on the numbers, but I seem to remember the lawn getting something like 30% of it's nitrogen from the clippings.......

That is very true. Not to mention the extra time and PITA it is dealing with clippings. Mulching or discharging is more productive and healthier on the lawn.

Dave_005
04-14-2008, 11:07 PM
i agree with the others, i Bag for the first cut since most residentials wait till its long before having the first cut, and i bag for the fall cleanups, but during the mowing season MULCH ONLY ! the clippings are natures fertiliser 100% natural and biodegradable putting nutrients back into the soil

GrassmasterB
04-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Hi just starting out. Was wondering what the benefit is to collect grass clippings or Not collecting the clippings. Also we have a landfill to dump the clippings but is many miles away. What do I do? I dont want to break the

do you have curbside pickup there in orlando? if so just bag the yard and leave them curbside, just let the customer know when you give the quote that you will be handling the clippings that way. as far as collecting or not every yard is different. if you're mowing bahia, don't bother the customer won't care. st augustine grass is a different story. these yards tend to be over watered and over fertilized. mulching would be the best way to handle these yards, but the nitrogen produced by the clippings can add to the over fertilized problem. which means you'll have yards growing at more than an inch a day and each week you cut the yard you'll still see clippings from the week before since they can't decompose fast enough eventually leading to thatch. so while your mulching, if you see no visible clippings, keep mulching. if you see clippings put the bagger on, the yard will look alot better and it will help control the growth rate during these spring months. also make note to where the advice on these forums comes from. southern grass and northern grass don't react the same.

siklid1066
04-15-2008, 07:40 AM

I never even heard of bagging in Florida.

Atlantic Lawn
04-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Some properties we cut allow us to dump on site. At times we will tarp up the clippings and dispose at additional charge.