PDA

View Full Version : Any inexpensive liability insurance in Florida?

Bridgette
04-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Great site! Just getting started on a very small scale and I was wondering if anyone has found a good deal on a small general liability policy in FLorida.

Thanks!

slammerjax
04-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Go to some independent insurance agents.

I pay $729 per year for $1 million.

edgeman2003
04-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm in maryland and just liability $1,00,000 is $271.00 a year with $0 deduct. $214.00 a year
for $500,000. that is erie insurance company https://www.erieinsurance.com/Applications/SiteAdvantage/Default.aspx?searchType=agent
I don't think there in Florida area.

lawnman_scott
04-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I just found out that all Nationwide agents are allowed to sell independantly. They can each have different companies they represent with different rates. I would start there.

Bridgette
04-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I found a company (Locklin Insurance) that was able to do 300K for me and 300K for my husband for a total of 600K aggregate for $469.00 a year. Seems as though Florida is pretty high, as this was the cheapest I could find by over $200. The insurance is through Old Dominion out of Va.

southernturfguy
04-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Old Dominion is good and they write in Florida also try to find an Auto Owners agent as they both have good rates and are very reputable companies.
1 mil approx $650 or 500,000 for approx $502 per year.
Don't waste your time with nationwide agents as they are new to the independent agent business and have very limited amount of companies.
Go straight to an independent agent that has experience in this field.
For a start up company 500k limits should be enough.
Good luck.

tamadrummer
04-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I found a company (Locklin Insurance) that was able to do 300K for me and 300K for my husband for a total of 600K aggregate for $469.00 a year. Seems as though Florida is pretty high, as this was the cheapest I could find by over $200. The insurance is through Old Dominion out of Va.

I have 3mil aggregate with Auto-owners for $479/yr, If it isn't too late I can email you my agents info and he can write your policy here in FL. That is just too much for you to be paying for lawn service liability with WAY WAY WAY TOO LITTLE coverage!

Bridgette
04-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Send what you have, if I can cancel and go with someone cheaper I will. We called 50 companys and that was the cheapest. If you can help save me money and get way more coverage sounds like a deal to me.

tamadrummer
04-16-2008, 10:50 PM
email me at bnblawns@gmail.com since I cannot private message you yet. You don't have enough posts or something. I need your email to email you.....

kleankutslawn
04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
email me at bnblawns@gmail.com since I cannot private message you yet. You don't have enough posts or something. I need your email to email you.....

can you send me that info also thanks

tamadrummer
04-16-2008, 11:30 PM
can you send me that info also thanks

Sure it will be in your PM box in just a second.

kleankutslawn
04-16-2008, 11:40 PM
thanks again tamadrummer

southernturfguy
04-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Wow. That's a very good price for 3 Million agg.
But you have to understand that insurance rates are based on your zip code and are different throughtout the state. I believe you are in the Zepherhills area which is rural and alot less expensive than a larger city.
By the way you are with one of the best companies out there Auto Owners.
I still say that 500k is plenty if you are only working for residential owners but if you do commercial than you will need 1/2 mil.
Your 3 mill aggregate is great if you have 3 claims that year and that is the only time it comes into play. If you didn't realize that you may want to ask you agent to explain it.
As always I think that someone should insure themselves for as much as thay can afford, but you can insure yourself right out of business if you are'nt careful, and if you are smart then buy what you can afford on liability and then insure your equipment also as this is very important coverage.
I have alittle understanding about this as I spent the last 25 years selling the stuff and just recently retired from the insurance industry.

amor4421
05-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey guys can you send me some info on who your ins. is with so I can give them a call. Thanks Tommy

Gilligan
05-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Wow. That's a very good price for 3 Million agg.
But you have to understand that insurance rates are based on your zip code and are different throughtout the state. I believe you are in the Zepherhills area which is rural and alot less expensive than a larger city.
By the way you are with one of the best companies out there Auto Owners.
I still say that 500k is plenty if you are only working for residential owners but if you do commercial than you will need 1/2 mil.
Your 3 mill aggregate is great if you have 3 claims that year and that is the only time it comes into play. If you didn't realize that you may want to ask you agent to explain it.
As always I think that someone should insure themselves for as much as thay can afford, but you can insure yourself right out of business if you are'nt careful, and if you are smart then buy what you can afford on liability and then insure your equipment also as this is very important coverage.
I have alittle understanding about this as I spent the last 25 years selling the stuff and just recently retired from the insurance industry.

You should know very well after selling policies for 25 years that telling any potential insured $500,000 is plenty would be a huge E & O exposure, but you are correct with Auto Owners being a great company ....are they still A++ superior?

southernturfguy
05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I beleive it is a bigger E&O exposure if I suggest that he insures himself out of business!!!!!!! There is also a thing called Ethics.
You can never buy ENOUGH insurance but you have to use your head and if you do not have any contracts that are requiring any special requirements and limits then you need to buy what you can afford.
Yes Auto owners is AAA rated and a very good company to deal with.
You can find an agent in your area online @ Auto Owners website.
They also insure Tools and Equipment at a very good price. Ask an agent about this.

Gilligan
05-02-2008, 08:21 AM
I beleive it is a bigger E&O exposure if I suggest that he insures himself out of business!!!!!!! There is also a thing called Ethics.
You can never buy ENOUGH insurance but you have to use your head and if you do not have any contracts that are requiring any special requirements and limits then you need to buy what you can afford.
Yes Auto owners is AAA rated and a very good company to deal with.
You can find an agent in your area online @ Auto Owners website.
They also insure Tools and Equipment at a very good price. Ask an agent about this.

Don't get me wrong I agreed with 95% of your post, except for the wording "plenty"

A couple years back I ran across a specialty carrier that had two programs available in Florida. One was for Tree guys and the other was for lawn and landscapers.

Their pricing was very competitive...similar to Auto Owners...but they also included E & O coverage in the policy. To cover such incidents as misinterpreting the customer and removing the wrong rose bushes from the flower bed...etc...

They weren't AAA rated, but I think they were still an A. For the life of me I can't remember what the carrier name was...Any ideas who I am talking about?

I seem to remember there office was outside of Florida..but I'm not 100% sure on that...

southernturfguy
05-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I do not remember any company offering this type of coverage and I am having a hard time coming up with a reason that anyone in the Lawn Service would need E&O unless they have some sort of proffessional designation (architects , engineers, insurance agents) as that is what E&O would cover.
They may have been selling a BOP and that was a coverage specific to the industry and they were calling it E&O but.... I guess cutting down the wrong tree could be a big problem.
I will look to see if I can find this company and I will let you know.
By the way there is a good reason why I used the word plenty.... but I will say again you can NEVER buy enough insurance.

Liendeni
05-02-2008, 11:20 PM
I paid $427 for a year for a Million in Bradenton. If things don't work out....let me know...I'll give my insurance company. Good luck

amor4421
05-03-2008, 10:21 AM
leindeni whose your ins. company. I got a quote from a couple and the cheapest was 1636.00 a year for 1 million. I need to find one that is a better company. Thanks for any info.

Liendeni
05-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey Amor....here is the website:

http://www.deschampsgregory.com/CO/Default.aspx

They are a broker so they can find the cheapest rates, but again....it will go off your yearly income and if you have employees.

amor4421
05-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks I am solo so I hope that helps. I will try them. Thanks again

southernturfguy
05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
$ 1626 annually if you are a one man show that is a lot !
If you use Auto Owners they will base it on your annuall payroll. As an owner your payroll will always be $15,900 per year no matter how little or how much you make.
Any employees you have will be just what their payroll is.