PDA

View Full Version : Dust Control

LwnmwrMan22
04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure this is the right part of the forum for this question, but here goes anyways.

Does anyone here have any experience of using any type of dust control.

I've got an industrial place that's got a gravel parking lot. They asked me if there's anything I can do to help with the dust control.

I know the cities farther north of me use a magnesium chloride solution on the dirt roads in town. Yes, we still have dirt roads here, in some smaller towns.

I figured that maybe with doing dirt infields and the such, that maybe someone here has had some success with a product I could research??

Thanks.

Blueflashturf
04-14-2008, 09:43 PM
In infields we use soil conditioners such as Turface, which holds moisture... You could give it a daily watering, or spread a turface like product... I am thinking, that you could use a product called oil dry or somethin of that nature since it is a shale product, and has a color like that.... just a thought though, other than that just try to keep it moist.......

SLSNursery
04-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Use the Flake Calcium Chloride.

Spread it out and it will start to absorb moisture and help keep the dust down. If conditions are super dry you may have to mist the area once afterwards to activate it. It is hard to say exactly how much to use but I think some of the bags have recommended rates per thousand square feet. It is pretty rough on leather gloves and workboots, and make sure you clean whatever spreader is used thoroughly afterwards.

We've used leftover stuff on our gravel lot at the shop, and probably will this week since it has been unusually dry. We also use it on clay tennis courts to help them retain the proper amount of moisture, so I know it works. For your case it might take multiple applications to maintain good dust control.

Hope this helps.

44DCNF
04-20-2008, 03:47 PM
MAG makes a product that is available through Home Depot (I believe that is where I got it). They have an ice melt in pelletized form but also a flake form for dust and ice control. I have only used it for ice so I can't comment on it effectiveness for dust (the pellets were sold out so I took the flakes).

firedude26
04-21-2008, 12:44 AM
www.dirtglue.com

im going to try this on a small job, they say it works great, we'll see.