PDA

View Full Version : Dust control

LwnmwrMan22
04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
I suppose this could be a "pesticide" by the very very technical term that anything unwanted could be considered a pest?

Also, I posted this same thread in the public grounds forum, hoping someone there could help me out possibly as well.

Does anyone here have any experience of using any type of dust control.

I've got an industrial place that's got a gravel parking lot. They asked me if there's anything I can do to help with the dust control.

I know the cities farther north of me use a magnesium chloride solution on the dirt roads in town. Yes, we still have dirt roads here, in some smaller towns.

I figured that maybe with doing dirt infields and the such, that maybe someone here has had some success with a product I could research??

Thanks.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Polyacrylamide (spelling) Used as tacifier in hydroseeding appliactions works well for dust control. It binds particles together holding dust down. I havn't hydroseeded in a few years, so I can't remember brand names... Try Turbo Turf, or Easylawn, they selll it & should be able to give you advice on it.

TurfBusiness
04-14-2008, 10:13 PM
I have done quite a bit of research on dust control. For a parking lot or road application I don't think the a polyacrylamide will last long enough. There is calcium chloride, mag chloride, lignos...(sp), and also a vegetable oil/glycerin product. Takes a lot of material in a lot of water to do it right. For example if using the oil 0.5 to 1 gallon per square yard

humble1
04-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Polyacrylamide (spelling) Used as tacifier in hydroseeding appliactions works well for dust control. It binds particles together holding dust down. I havn't hydroseeded in a few years, so I can't remember brand names... Try Turbo Turf, or Easylawn, they selll it & should be able to give you advice on it.

I think lesco sells or sold that product for tactifier a few years ago

RigglePLC
04-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Customer of mine was using calcium choride ice melter in a hand spreader to control dust in her indoor horse arena. Very hygroscopic--attracts moisture.

mngrassguy
04-15-2008, 03:19 AM
I've used calcium cloride applied through my fert spreader. Works great but be sure to get all you will need now. It's rather hard to find in the summer!!!

MAGman
04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
:dizzy:
I posted a note earlier today about where you can buy this locally and how to apply it, but the moderator removed it and said that in order to give you any references of where to buy it, I had to be a sponsor and would I like to buy a sponsorship. No thank you, the references of where to buy it is NOT my company, and it is not our product. Be that as it may, the moderator decided that we were not allowed to tell you where to buy it unless we were a sponsor of this site.

If you go to Google and type in "mag chloride dust control" you will find application information from 37,400 places. One of those places has the information you need but apparently the rules of this site prevent me from directing to that place. So I will only say that the products you need are available locally, but I am not allowed to tell you where to get them. The application information you need is available on the web, but I'm not allowed to tell you where to look for it since I'm not a sponsor. So free information is actually not free it would appear.

So while I have tried to help you, apparently the rules of this site prevent any information being shared from anyone who is not a sponsor. Here is the email I got for giving you a link to information on how apply the products.
Hello MAGman ,

We have removed your posts at LawnSite.com... you are not allowed to promote, sell or advertise your company, product or services at the site unless you are a sponsor.

If you are interested in potential sponsorship at the site please email Don Woods at dwoods@mooserivermedia.com

Please keep this in mind with your future postings at the site.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation with this - take care, have a great day and enjoy the site

Regards,

Michael J. Donovan Sr.
Moderator, Online Communities
Moose River Media
374 Emerson Falls Road
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
412-415-1470
http://www.mooserivermedia.com

Both "products" are common and commercially available locally all year around from a specific type of store which can be found in nearly every major city in the US and Canada, but I'm not allowed to tell you what that is or I will get slapped by the nun's ruler again. I looked for a way to send you a private message or to send an email with the information but that too appears to be very carefully controlled information.

Not sure how to help you, but its not for lack of trying. Please realize that I HAVE tried to help you. There is a type of store nationwide that stocks these kinds of products all year around, but I'm not allowed to tell you what it is. I see references from others to stores, but they must be sponsors since those posts were not deleted.

In fact, I wonder how long it will be before THIS post is removed? Nothing like censorship!

Sean Adams
04-18-2008, 06:37 PM
:dizzy:
I posted a note earlier today about where you can buy this locally and how to apply it, but the moderator removed it and said that in order to give you any references of where to buy it, I had to be a sponsor and would I like to buy a sponsorship. No thank you, the references of where to buy it is NOT my company, and it is not our product. Be that as it may, the moderator decided that we were not allowed to tell you where to buy it unless we were a sponsor of this site.

If you go to Google and type in "mag chloride dust control" you will find application information from 37,400 places. One of those places has the information you need but apparently the rules of this site prevent me from directing to that place. So I will only say that the products you need are available locally, but I am not allowed to tell you where to get them. The application information you need is available on the web, but I'm not allowed to tell you where to look for it since I'm not a sponsor. So free information is actually not free it would appear.

So while I have tried to help you, apparently the rules of this site prevent any information being shared from anyone who is not a sponsor. Here is the email I got for giving you a link to information on how apply the products.

Both "products" are common and commercially available locally all year around from a specific type of store which can be found in nearly every major city in the US and Canada, but I'm not allowed to tell you what that is or I will get slapped by the nun's ruler again. I looked for a way to send you a private message or to send an email with the information but that too appears to be very carefully controlled information.

Not sure how to help you, but its not for lack of trying. Please realize that I HAVE tried to help you. There is a type of store nationwide that stocks these kinds of products all year around, but I'm not allowed to tell you what it is. I see references from others to stores, but they must be sponsors since those posts were not deleted.

In fact, I wonder how long it will be before THIS post is removed? Nothing like censorship!

Your post was removed because you were clearly attempting to draw people to your site - you masked the link with "click here" which lead right to your site. If that isn't an attempt to promote your product then I'm not sure what is.

Your "reference" to two places to buy the product were general references, not specific.

You signed up at the site today, and you give yourself a user name which signifies your product, your first post includes a link to your site....

This site is free for the users. It is able to be free because companies pay to be here. Companies and people like you who attempt to "provide helpful information" about their very own product end up cheating the paying sponsors.

Your attempt at the "victim-censorship-controlled site" card does not work here. These members know the deal. They are the ones who have made this site what it is. It's simple - if you want to discuss your products, become a sponsor.

DLCS
04-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Your post was removed because you were clearly attempting to draw people to your site - you masked the link with "click here" which lead right to your site. If that isn't an attempt to promote your product then I'm not sure what is.

Your "reference" to two places to buy the product were general references, not specific.

You signed up at the site today, and you give yourself a user name which signifies your product, your first post includes a link to your site....

This site is free for the users. It is able to be free because companies pay to be here. Companies and people like you who attempt to "provide helpful information" about their very own product end up cheating the paying sponsors.

Your attempt at the "victim-censorship-controlled site" card does not work here. These members know the deal. They are the ones who have made this site what it is. It's simple - if you want to discuss your products, become a sponsor.

He is not the only one. LOL

Sean Adams
04-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I know what you are getting at....be nice.... ;)

MAGman
04-18-2008, 07:34 PM
So Sean, let me see if I understand this:

If I want to discuss how to mow grass, I have to be a sponsor. If I want to discuss how to control dust, I have to be a sponsor. So exactly what can I discuss here?

I posted a single link to APPLICATION DATA, not selling information so YOUR attempt to make this something it is not should not work here, but perhaps PT Barnum was right - eh?

I'm not trying to draw anyone anywhere. I was simply trying to respond with information to the guy in MN who posted a call for help with a dust problem. I happen to be a dust control expert and yes, it is what I do for a living. Does that make me a bad person unfit to talk about dust control here?

My username reflects what I do for a living like nearly EVERYONE ELSE HERE, so indicting me for my user name is just another affirmation of the selective censorship your company seems to live by here. Funny how you jump on me because my username reflects what I do for a living, but all the others here who have names in this thread that say what they do must be sponsors or FOS (Friends of Sean) I guess, ugh?

So, while you clearly want to make this something that it is not, and you are cleverly trying to paint me as a bad guy while I am actually only trying to help the person who asked for help on dust control. I put my boots on one at time like most folks, but I certainly can see when a site owner uses his site to force the purchase of advertising and sponsorship and has it veiled as "censorship".

I'm sure your subscribers can help each other out with a lot of things they know about. But what happens when they run into something that they don't know about? What then? Good luck finding out the real story because a forum run in this way is like reading the newspaper in Iran; you see what the leaders want you to see irrespective of the facts and moreover the truth.

That is censorship of a most onerous kind, Sean.

When someone stops by to help a member who asks for help and you run them out of town on rails, I would expect that your captive audience might begin to wonder what's really behind the curtin.

Let me close with a gentle reminder of what you said this site is supposed to be about:

ABOUT US
LawnSite.com has been online since 1995. In 1998 the site officially became known as LawnSite.com. It is the original and largest web site of its kind in the Green Industry.
LawnSite is a forum, or sometimes known as a “message board”. The site is free to join. When someone “registers” at the site, by creating a user name and providing general information, they have the ability to start discussions and post responses in existing discussions.
Our community is made up of many different types of professionals from all over the world.
We have members that are 18 years old interested in starting a business for the first time, and we have 30-year industry veterans who provide helpful information and guidance – and everything in between.
Our members come from the United States, Canada, Australia, Mexico, Brazil, England, Ireland, and just about anywhere else you can think of. We even have US troops accessing the site from different parts of the world as well.
We also have manufacturers and suppliers from the industry who join and sponsor the site, and interact with the members – sharing ideas and gathering opinions and suggestions about how to improve their products and services.
In 2003, we had a contest for the members to come up with a fitting slogan for the site. The winning slogan – “Professionals Growing Together” is a perfect way to describe the atmosphere and value of LawnSite.com. In 2006, LawnSite.com was acquired by Moose River Media, publishers of many Green Industry magazines, including TURF.
LawnSite is continuing to grow everyday – one professional at a time!
If you would like to register, we’d love to have you as a member of our community.

Are you sure about that? :nono:

Sean Adams
04-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I can take the time to answer the long way or I can make this short and sweet - if you want to post, be my guest. If you want to promote your product as you did in your first post, you must be a sponsor. It's not hard to understand.

PHS
04-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Save it MAGman, there are few things more annoying on internet forums than someone complaining about censorship. The world is not conspiring against you, grow up and act like a professional.