PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late for part time work?

bleacherbum
04-14-2008, 07:28 PM
I am wanting to start a small lawn service part time to supplement my full time job. Is it too late for part timers like me to start this season? Should I just wait until next year or do you think enough work would come my way. I was wanting to start kind of slow anyway so I could get my feet wet first. I don't want to get in over my head but I would also like to make some money to pay for the equipment. The equipment I have to pay for is roughly $3500.

MJS
04-14-2008, 07:32 PM
It's never really too late to start. . .I pick up new customers pretty much year-round.

What equipment are you looking at getting?

bleacherbum
04-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Some items are used until I can get new.
lesco, 54" cut, walkbehind
redmax trimmer (used)
backpack blower
22" murray (for now)
8' wood hauler trailer

larryinalabama
04-16-2008, 09:25 AM
You should be able to make 3500 this year.

mobileboy
04-16-2008, 10:24 AM
I started in Oct 2007 and within two weeks had enough to keep me busy. I passed out 75 fliers in my neighborhood. They said that I was a neighbor looking for a few yards, and that they could see my work by going by my own house at #$%^ court. 5 people called the first week and four of them called me back this spring. You can do it anytime. Just get out there and advertise! In November I picked up several small landscape jobs as well, but here on the gulfcoast the only really slow months are December, January, and the first half of February. I guess we're really lucky that way, but we pay for it from June - Sept!:cry:

Detroitdan
04-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I started in June. Was a slow start but it gave me a chance to ease into things, and to make sure I had my equipment up to snuff. It's not too late to start by any means. I'm sure in your area you've only missed a cut or two, right? That's good, because there are people who are now finding out their mower is no good, or their old guy didn't show, or they just don't have time. We're not even cutting here yet, but the snow is almost gone. With the warm sun and wind, the grass will probably need cutting by the end of next week.
You probably won't get the big condo jobs that are already set up for the season, but there are plenty of new residential opportunites at any given time.
Good luck!

bleacherbum
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the positive replies. I do appreciate it!