PDA

View Full Version : need help with mulch bid.

lawnwizards
04-14-2008, 09:32 PM
o.k. i went out and did my measuring. there are over 30 different beds that need the old mulch removed and replaced with new mulch. i came up with 16737 square feet that needs mulch. anyway, how much would you charge for this job? i have an idea, just wanna see what you all would charge. thanks.

JNyz
04-14-2008, 09:35 PM
10k and rent a blower and blow it in after the prep work.

1MajorTom
04-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Will you be re-edging the beds too? And why does the old mulch need removed?

lawnwizards
04-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Will you be re-edging the beds too? And why does the old mulch need removed?

well, the old company that did it became cheap and put in some really ugly mulch that the customer didnt like. thats why they want it removed. it doesnt look as though the beds have ever been edged so i guess i'll submit 2 bids, one with edging and one without.

lawnwizards
04-15-2008, 10:28 AM
funny how everyone will tell how much they charge, (see mulch pricing thread) yet they wont touch my thread. wonder why?

Isobel
04-15-2008, 10:59 AM
funny how everyone will tell how much they charge, (see mulch pricing thread) yet they wont touch my thread. wonder why?

people don't like repeating themselves. the thread is right there, just go through it and look.

lawnwizards
04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
people don't like repeating themselves. the thread is right there, just go through it and look.

my thread isnt a general what do you charge for thread. i laid out the details to see what people would charge and to help me better understand if my quote is reasonable or not.

Isobel
04-15-2008, 01:22 PM
my thread isnt a general what do you charge for thread. i laid out the details to see what people would charge and to help me better understand if my quote is reasonable or not.

true, but in the other thread people stated their per yard charge--generally a flat fee.
You said you have 16737 square feet.
At 2" that would be about 103 yards.

Do some multiplication, and figure out what the other guys are charging--unless of course you get some other replies to this thread.
:)

lawnwizards
04-15-2008, 01:36 PM
true, but in the other thread people stated their per yard charge--generally a flat fee.
You said you have 16737 square feet.
At 2" that would be about 103 yards.

Do some multiplication, and figure out what the other guys are charging--unless of course you get some other replies to this thread.
:)

tell me this, they want all the existing mulch removed and then replaced with new mulch. will 2" be thick enough or should i go higher?

Isobel
04-15-2008, 01:47 PM
2 should be fine, depends on how much is coming out of course

lawnwizards
04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
2 should be fine, depends on how much is coming out of course

well, from what i get out of it. the customer always got black mulch. well, last year the company took it up on their own and put down regular mulch probably because it was alot cheaper. well, the customer thought it looked like crap, and it does, so they decided to axe the old company and rebid an install. looks like there might only be about an inch of existing mulch laid over the original black. they want the old crummy mulch removed and new black laid back down. there are over 30 different beds, around 28 are easily accesible. what i'm unclear about is how much to charge for removing and hauling off the old mulch. never had to do that before.

dvlscape
04-15-2008, 11:12 PM
I would price the removal at 1 -1.5 hrs of labor plus your cost of disposal. my 02

lawnwizards
04-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I would price the removal at 1 -1.5 hrs of labor plus your cost of disposal. my 02

1-1.5 hours per what? i'm not sure i understand what youre getting at. there is almost 17k square feet of beds. are you saying 1-1.5 per bed based on 30? thanks.

Precisionlc9
04-15-2008, 11:52 PM
First of all man.. removing of old mulch takes double the time to do as it does to lay the mulch, so if it takes you 30 mins to lay a yard it will take you 1 hr to remove it, TRUST ME. Then you have your dumping fees,wages,gas. I know how you feel, I used to second guess myself also you have about 100 yards of mulch @ 75 bucks a yard that right there is $7,500 yards just to buy and install the new mulch 100 yrds of mulch is alot about 30 hrs worth. just remember it will take you twice as long to get rid of the mulch as it will to lay it. Do you have a dump truck? how big is it? how much does it cost to dump in your area? how many trips are you going to take to the dump site? gas to travel to the dump site? wages paid to do both of those? I hope this helps...... just take your time and double check you bids and don't be scared to give the bid you want after all YOUR doing the work and what is the worst they can say..... no.

dvlscape
04-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I meant 1-1.5 per yd, sry.

If the mulch isnt so deep that it is choking out the plants why not educate them on leaving it and mulching over it.