PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Clean-Up a Dethatched Property

A-Land
04-14-2008, 10:11 PM
This past weekend I did what really amounts to the first dethatching jobs I have done in years. Rented the machine, and performed the service for three clients. I was amazed at the amount of thatch the unit was able to unearth, and I had forgotten just how much there was.

I had planned on going over it all with my mower, which I figured was plenty powerful to bag it all. (48" Scag Hydro) I had the bagger on, but the performance was really bad. Not much of the thatch was making it into the catcher. I lowered and raised the cutting deck, went slower, went faster, and nothing helped. I ended up using the side discharge to kind of sweep some of the thatch into long rows, but I ended up doing mostly raking :( Not too fun.

Anyways, there has to be a better way to do this??????? Anybody have any ideas for me????

hole in one lco
04-14-2008, 10:16 PM
lesco 8hp walkbehind blower and 2 redmax 8000 works like a charm we can thatch and clean up in 1.5 hr for 15,000sf

A-Land
04-14-2008, 10:43 PM
How many guys do you have doing that? Does the thatch really blow that well?

I dont know why thatchers dont just have baggers............ It would be a pain to empty them constantly but would save a tremendous amount of time.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
We use the mowers with metal catchers and blowers.

A-Land
04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah I was going with the metal baggers... maybe there was just too much material for it to work effectively? Ive done clean-ups and the baggers have worked like a charm

cgaengineer
04-15-2008, 06:41 AM
How many guys do you have doing that? Does the thatch really blow that well?

I dont know why thatchers dont just have baggers............ It would be a pain to empty them constantly but would save a tremendous amount of time.

They do have them with baggers...but the baggers dont work!! I have a PR22 with a bagger and I get a handful of grass in it when I go over the lawn...what was left behind was 2 truckloads of crap that had to be raked into a tarp.