PDA

View Full Version : Ariens 1648 has belt issues

dago52
04-14-2008, 11:27 PM
I was donated an Ariens 1648 model 915002. It was built in 1996 and has been sitting up for a year. The guy who owned told me that it kept throwing the belt from the pto to the deck. Well I got the mower running and cut about 5 yards with no problem, then all of sudden the belt was shredded. I noticed the idler pulley's were in real bad shape, so I purchased a new belt and put a heavy duty idler pulley back on the mower. After two minutes of running the mower I looked at the new belt, It is already starting to frey the bottom edge of the belt. I did cut two yards and the belt is in the same condition. I had to stop because the belt and idler pulley for the belt from the engine to the pto crapped out on me.

When the deck is in the number 3 position, the belt on the pto side is higher than the deck side. I guess this is normal because of the different cutting heights. I was thinking about shimming the pto pulley to lower it even with the deck pulley, but then I would be causing issues with the other belt that blew. I am trying use this mower until the end of this season so I can get a better deal on a new mower if the finances and wife allow me to.

Restrorob
04-15-2008, 12:05 AM
From sitting in the seat, On the right side near the rear of the deck is a height adjuster. See if you can raise the rear of the deck 1/4" to 3/8" higher than the front, This will reduce the angle of the belt running in the idler. Doing this may increase cut quality as well, Also make sure the idler is aligned with the deck pulley.

dago52
04-15-2008, 01:21 AM
The only thing that I can see is the mounting brackets for the deck that are adjustable. There is one on each side. I plan on picking up an idler pulley and a belt and will try to adjusting the deck when I remount the deck to the lawn mower. Are these the adjusters you are talking about? They are located beween the deck and the bottom of the mower toward the rear of the deck.

Thanks

Restrorob
04-15-2008, 07:59 AM
If they will raise/lower the deck when adjusted that's the ones......