PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for the new guy

jesse6135
04-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Hello all, I am in the beggining research phases of starting my solo lawn business. I am wondering if I could get some opinions on the equipment I should have. The only thing I started with is a 2004 F150 2wd pickup V6 5-Speed (good on Gas) The rest I am really wondering about. There is soooo much to choose from and I have talked to many people but they all have their opinions. So I figure I should go where the pros hang out (here). help me out with mowers, trimmers, blowers, trailers, ect........... thanks:usflag:

M & MD Lawn
04-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Hey your from indy, about time someone else is on here. But anyway i started with a 52inch gravely a echo trimmer and blower. I would say depending on how much you want to spend start w/a walk behind, stihl or echo trimmer, and a stihl blower(liter). as far a trailer goes, I say a dependind on how much you plan to do/grow a 6 or 7 by 14 would be good, i have a 6 x 10 custom and it limited me when i bought my 60, so i had to buy a new trailer but the 6/7 by 14 would be good i think. i know a auction in monrovia who has good used equip. pm me for details.

jesse6135
04-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Hey, thanks for the info. I am a rookie here so I am trying to figure out how to pm you. I would like to go to the auction and check out the auction. Tell me about you and your business. What made you get into the business? How did you start? and so on..... I like to hear how people got started.

jiggz
04-16-2008, 01:57 AM
This is what I recommend

Trimmer… not a place to cheep out on,, your gonna have to bring about 300 to the table for a good unit like a shin, redmax, ect

Blower… 150 for a sthil handheld that’s your best bet, unless your dong full apt complexes and big leaf cleanups

Cheep ass but quality push mower. I like Murry.. unless your cutting 1/3 acre or more of grass then invest in a cheep w/b mower

Broom and a dustpan..

people will argue with me, but all in all thats a decent setup all for less then 800 bucks and youll do just a good a job as someone with 10,000 in equpt.. itll just talk you a little longer.. but who cares about time its not like youll be mowing a hundred properties a day..

the first thing i would invest in as soon as you start cutting is another cheep push mower.. and try and find a used trimmer.. your gonna need backups uncase something stupid happens

farmboy52787
04-16-2008, 02:46 AM
This is what I recommend

Trimmer… not a place to cheep out on,, your gonna have to bring about 300 to the table for a good unit like a shin, redmax, ect

Blower… 150 for a sthil handheld that’s your best bet, unless your dong full apt complexes and big leaf cleanups

Cheep ass but quality push mower. I like Murry.. unless your cutting 1/3 acre or more of grass then invest in a cheep w/b mower

Broom and a dustpan..

people will argue with me, but all in all thats a decent setup all for less then 800 bucks and youll do just a good a job as someone with 10,000 in equpt.. itll just talk you a little longer.. but who cares about time its not like youll be mowing a hundred properties a day..

the first thing i would invest in as soon as you start cutting is another cheep push mower.. and try and find a used trimmer.. your gonna need backups uncase something stupid happens

Ill have to disagree with you on that, if people see you have crappy cheep equipment there not going to hire you because they could pay the same price to have a guy come in with nice commercial equipment and leave a pattern and suck up all the clippings. Then if they see your fast they'll reccommend to someone else. Its all word of mouth these days, advertising in newspapers is a waste of money. If your going to do a lawn business, buy the right kind of equipment so you can grow and make a decent amount of money. Jesse Look into getting a fairly used Walker Mower, a new 16' landscape trailer, and either a new echo or stihl blowers and trimmers and you will do just fine.

BillyRgn
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
no need to overspend, i would buy a nice 48 inch belt drive walkbehind in the $1,500.00 - $1,800.00 dollar range, that way there is no need for a trailer you cian ramp it into the back of your truck to save money until your larger, and can afford one. i would also buy a shindiawa 22T string trimmer it is about $200.00 and is the best bang for the buck, even though it is a homepro it has amazing power and is an all around great trimmer, i would also buy a real good back pack blower (shindiawa EB630 or 8510) about $450-$500 new that way you can do clean ups with out having to buy a push blower yet, also a couple of rakes(leaf & rock), wheel barrow, shovels(Spade,Flat,Snow), Pitch Fork,and a couple of trash cans and that is plenty of equiptment to start with.

Scenery Lawn Care
04-16-2008, 03:37 PM
im in the phase you are in, i about got all my equipment togather, i eneded up getting the quick 36 to start out with, and i already had a used trimmer, its a craftsman and its already a couple years old so once the bussiness starts making money i will get a new one, as far as a blower i got the bag for the mower so i dont even think ill need one right away. Ill test it on my own yard first and if still blows on the street or sidewalk ill get a blower, but if not ill wait till i mow a few yards then get one. but from what ive read alot of ppl have started out with a walk behind.

All_Toro_4ME
04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
im in the phase you are in, i about got all my equipment togather, i eneded up getting the quick 36 to start out with, and i already had a used trimmer, its a craftsman and its already a couple years old so once the bussiness starts making money i will get a new one, as far as a blower i got the bag for the mower so i dont even think ill need one right away. Ill test it on my own yard first and if still blows on the street or sidewalk ill get a blower, but if not ill wait till i mow a few yards then get one. but from what ive read alot of ppl have started out with a walk behind.

You will need a blower. End of story, enough said.

charmill26
04-16-2008, 06:04 PM
You will need a blower. End of story, enough said.

yep hes right

jtoman
04-17-2008, 02:53 AM
I started small and worked my way up to nice stuff.

I dont understand how some people can just "start up" a business and go drop 20000 on a new mower, trailer, equipment, and so on.

I started with 2 push mowers, then got a small used ztr, then a newer small ztr, then a wb, then a big pro ztr. you get the picture.

Get what you need until you start turning over some profit.

johnnie5
05-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Ill have to disagree with you on that, if people see you have crappy cheep equipment there not going to hire you because they could pay the same price to have a guy come in with nice commercial equipment and leave a pattern and suck up all the clippings. Then if they see your fast they'll reccommend to someone else. Its all word of mouth these days, advertising in newspapers is a waste of money. If your going to do a lawn business, buy the right kind of equipment so you can grow and make a decent amount of money. Jesse Look into getting a fairly used Walker Mower, a new 16' landscape trailer, and either a new echo or stihl blowers and trimmers and you will do just fine.

I have to disagree

people want you to come , do a good job and clean up after yourself

they couldnt care what you do the job with as long as the result is what they expect

punt66
05-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Listen very carefully. Do not buy junk! find a nice used ztr or walkbehind or you will do nothing. Your local dealers have low interest loans and can get you in a machine with a $100 a month payment. Thats 1 lawn that pays your machine! Its a no brainer. I agree i also use the 22t trimmer but they stopped making it last year. However their replacement i hear is also good and the same $200. My first machine was a ferris is1500ztr 52" 25hp kaw. With that mower i wasnt shy to display and bombard the market with advertising. Dont set yourself up for failure. Look professional and bid like one. Lowballing jus ruins the industry.

MileHigh
05-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Hello all, I am in the beggining research phases of starting my solo lawn business. I am wondering if I could get some opinions on the equipment I should have. The only thing I started with is a 2004 F150 2wd pickup V6 5-Speed (good on Gas) The rest I am really wondering about. There is soooo much to choose from and I have talked to many people but they all have their opinions. So I figure I should go where the pros hang out (here). help me out with mowers, trimmers, blowers, trailers, ect........... thanks:usflag:

Good luck..and here is my opinion. First you need a trailer. You don't wanna be the guy loading mowers out of the back of your truck bed for many reasons. I would go with a 14ft by 6.9 or so. You go with the bigger size so you can expand with more equipment if needed. You never know what size lawns you aquire through the season or next. The thing I've found about trailers is that between a 10ft and a 16ft there really isn't that much price difference, maybe a couple hundred bucks. And the bigger one will serve you much better.

Never buy a "residential" mower or any kind of power equipment. Only Commercial. For starts I would go with a 36inch dual hydro, and a 21 inch mower. (this is if your goal is doing residential primarily) Look at the good stuff that will last and not let you down. Exmark, Scag, Gravely, and commercial Toro. There are more brands but don't buy anything at Home Depot of Lowes...pure mtd crap.

For Trimmers: Go with a Shindaiwa T242 with the Speed Feed head...Mine is sweet, excellent power to weight...sometime's takes a few pulls to start though. For edgers and what not...just make sure you go commercial quality.

rnycboa
05-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey just starting out here also.I just bought a 32 inch exmark belt drive .I have an echo straight trimmer,and f-250 diesel super duty p/u.I have my first job, a cleanup in a 1/4 acre yard that looks like it hasnt been done in 5 years.my problem is where do i put the leaves.load them in my p/u truck or I need a trailor.Is it worth getting a small dump trailor to use for clean ups?

MileHigh
05-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey just starting out here also.I just bought a 32 inch exmark belt drive .I have an echo straight trimmer,and f-250 diesel super duty p/u.I have my first job, a cleanup in a 1/4 acre yard that looks like it hasnt been done in 5 years.my problem is where do i put the leaves.load them in my p/u truck or I need a trailor.Is it worth getting a small dump trailor to use for clean ups?

I think it depends on how much leaves there are. Most cleanups that I do..I can fit the debris in the back of my truck. I carry all of the equipment needed in the trailer. I use tarps to wrap up the leaves and throw them in my bed. If there is to many leaves..I'll just wrap up the leaves nice and snug inside one of my many tarps and throw them anywhere theyll fit.

And yes I wish I had a Dump trailer for cleanups and much more stuff...I think I'd rather have a dump bed though. Good Luck.

Patriot Services
05-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Craigs List is chock full of great deals on used equipment. Sometimes you can score a complete setup from someone that got in over thier head and has to dump the stuff quick to make rent:usflag::usflag::usflag:

rnycboa
05-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.I need a trailer regardless as i dont have one yet.Was just thinking it might be easier to unload with the dump trailer then rake out of bed of p/u truck.Justuntil i can afford a dump truck.does anyone use a dump trailer to tow their equipment and for cleanups mulch etc?pros and cons?

rnycboa
05-16-2008, 07:31 PM
looked at a few different trailers today.I really like the Bri-Mar 6"x10 low profile got a price in ny of $5800 and price in nj od $4975.00 Any one else use one of these dump trailers to tow their mowers and grass/leaves etc?

Lakeside Lawn
05-17-2008, 02:50 AM
Im also just getting started...I have a older Scag 36 inch fixed deck WB...a backpack blower...and a rather cheap trimmer( first thing I will upgrade)

A 22 inch craftsman push mower a 5x10 Trailer and getting ready right now to go see if Wallyworld has any 5 gallon Portable air tanks. I havent heard anyone mention this...but I think that might be one of the best tools to have. Flats happen...and at the moment I hope it will prevent me from having to drop $$ on new tires..on my scag...If I have to pump the tire up every day..then I will til I start bringing in more than Im dumping in.

Of course extra trimmer string is a must too

BillyRgn
05-18-2008, 10:43 PM
i always have a 5 gallon portable tank, and a bottle of slime , and a plug kit for the tires, there will always be that time when you go off a big curb and pop the bead on the tire or run a nail over (mower, machine or truck), and as far as i am concerned the most important things to carry besides your machine, are the portable air, slime, and a plug kit. Air Tank $35,00 - Slime $8.99 - plug Kit $3.99 - Not having to find a gas station with a working air pump and materials you need $priceless and makeshure you get a plug kit while your there, you can get a big one with alot of plugs, patches, tools and cement for 10 bucks and it comes in a nice case, i don't even have the slightest clue how much money i saved using plugs, both of my lazers probably have 10 plugs a piece and the trucks defiantly have a few nail holes plugged, and it only takes two minutes to put a plug in