PDA

View Full Version : I cut the wrong yard!!!!

stevenf
04-14-2008, 11:21 PM
So I get a call for lawn maintenance. The customer gives me the address so I ride by and close the deal over the phone because they work odd hours and we could never find a good time. Before I put my customers on monthly billing, I get them to pay up front for the first few cuts just to see if there consistant. I told him he could leave the money under the door mat. When I showed up today, the money wasnt there so I proceeded to cut the lawn anyway. A few hours later I give him a call to let him know he forgot and that he could just pay me double for next week to make up for it. Thats when he tells me that he didnt forget. I then tell him that I checked and nothing was there. He then says "Are you sure you have the right house???". I say, "Is it yellow?". He says " NO!"

I absolutely knew that I had the right address so I stopped by to see if I wasnt a complete moron. His address was 5701. The house directly across the street from him was 5701. The house I cut was on a slight curve which (to my understanding) automatically changed it to another street. Why in the heck would two houses directly across from each other have the same address?!?!?!?!?! This has never happend to me before and I think its a one in a million chance.
Hopefully I can talk to these people and turn the free service into an account! :laugh:

TheTurfTender
04-14-2008, 11:25 PM
That is freaking AWESOME....

Raven386
haha. thats funny.

Southern Signature
thats funny man, I've almost done the same thing. I was in a neighborhood one time and there was a street just up from the one i was cutting and it had the same street number just different name, too funny... Hopefully you can turn that one into a weekly account, good luck man...

CrystalCreek
04-14-2008, 11:30 PM
can I give you my address:laugh::laugh:But seriously, I cut a house and scalped a corner only to find out I wrote the house number down in reverse. I was a little dislexic that day. Now I had to fix that lawn for free and still go cut the other. Happens to all of us. Keep smiling:waving:

stevenf
04-14-2008, 11:46 PM
I think its more his fault then anything. He should have told me. I know he has problems with mail and packages all the time!

Az Gardener
04-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Pretty minimal as mistakes go. There was a demo crew that razed the wrong house here a few years ago. That was a funny news story!

CuttingEdgeTM
04-15-2008, 06:17 AM
You could have just picked up a new customer! :drinkup:

Atlantic Lawn
04-15-2008, 06:43 AM
We been there, done that.

AI Inc
04-15-2008, 06:52 AM
Im guessing 1 house had the address of one street , and the other house was the address of the other street.
Education aint cheap!

AI Inc
04-15-2008, 06:53 AM
You could have just picked up a new customer! :drinkup:

Mail the guy a letter saying you gave him a free chance to see your services, Is he interested in signing up.

Woody82986
04-15-2008, 07:18 AM
I have a friend that's address is 100 N. "street" and right across the street, his neighbor is 100 S. "street" Their mail gets screwed up on a daily basis.

mngrassguy
04-15-2008, 08:34 AM
I know a guy who ripped out the wrong driveway once. Opps!!!

ALC-GregH
04-15-2008, 08:56 AM
can I give you my address:laugh::laugh:But seriously, I cut a house and scalped a corner only to find out I wrote the house number down in reverse. I was a little dislexic that day. Now I had to fix that lawn for free and still go cut the other. Happens to all of us. Keep smiling:waving:

This may sound like a dumb question but, how do you "fix" a corner of the lawn if it is scalped? Won't it grow back?

DBL
04-15-2008, 09:34 AM
thats a stupid numbering system....guess you have to go back and cut the right house now

DrGreenThumb
04-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I like to do walk throughs with home owners befor I do any work on there yard.

mikewhit1010
04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Well I have had a crew mow a vacant 1 acre lot. The kicker was the lot was 2 feet tall. I make them pay me when they do that. I would say if you mow enough lawns this is going to happen when taking on new clients, new crews and so on.

dishboy
04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I like to do walk throughs with home owners befor I do any work on there yard.

+1, if they are too busy to meet with you , most likely they are shopping for the cheapest price and the job won't work out anyway. I am as busy as they are , but they expect me to waste my time so they can price shop. Not on my clock thank you.

mikewhit1010
04-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Most of my A/R are due to people like this so yea be careful

KGR landscapeing
04-15-2008, 10:28 AM
it happens all the time people call give you the adress you right it down but you have another adress in your mind. and you go to the place and are like like this cant be right.

DrGreenThumb
04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
+1, if they are too busy to meet with you , most likely they are shopping for the cheapest price and the job won't work out anyway. I am as busy as they are , but they expect me to waste my time so they can price shop. Not on my clock thank you.

I do admit sometimes i cant meet with them but i like to meet everyone face to face, it helps a little bit.

Hammer071
04-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Try owning a tree and landscape and cut down the wrong TREE! Seems the gal when told me what tree, was standing looking at the house from her garage and not the street as I had asked. Little to late when the neighbor came home!

ALC-GregH
04-15-2008, 01:45 PM
holy $hit.... ;)

I can hear the wife now, "Harry, why did you have the big tree removed from the backyard? Ethel what are you taking about? Harry, have a look for yourself.....

Hammer, that had to suck big time.

Hammer071
04-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Was when I was in Jersey living and the gal was actually cool. She worked it all out with her neighbor! Whew.

stevenf
04-15-2008, 02:22 PM
These houses had the same number address. One was on a slight curve directly across the street from the other. Even though it was directly across the street, it was still considered to be on the street before the curve. Whoever set this up is a little off.

Lawn-Sharks
04-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Thats to funny! maybe something will become of it.

ffemt1271
04-15-2008, 03:12 PM
they need to report that to thier 911/communications center and get it fixed(thats who gives addresses out) before they need an ambulance or something

CrystalCreek
04-15-2008, 05:50 PM
This may sound like a dumb question but, how do you "fix" a corner of the lawn if it is scalped? Won't it grow back?

Ah, She wanted seed and peat moss put down. She said it filled in nicely, but like ya said, it probable just grew in. Oh well, didn't get her as a customer but did get the neighbor. :)

S man
04-15-2008, 06:13 PM
I did that only it wasent't the wrong adress but the people decided to start cutting it themsleves and I talked to the lady a few weeks earlier and she said to start doing it so I show up yesterday and do it (her mom's vacant house) and then go to their house to get paid and they're all pissed at me for doing it because the son did it a week earlier and I said well even if you don't want me I still did it and need to get paid, well I didn't get paid. It's the first time I got screwed cutting a lawn.

deere615
04-15-2008, 10:41 PM
haha thats funny, I have had a few houses I went too(not to cut grass) and went to the wrong house. Just around the corner and down the street alittle. and its the same address. I never had one that close though!

AndyTblc
04-15-2008, 10:46 PM
I'd be embarassed

farmerkev
04-15-2008, 10:53 PM
I was in a leaf raking thingy at church/school where a bunch of us would go to parishoners and people in the neihgborhood who asked for help. I was in a group who had to go to 81 Maryland (something like that), we drove to the location, 77 Maryland, 79 Maryland, 83 Maryland, 85 Mar.... Wait, wheres 81? We drove around the block a few times, and after a few phone calls, discovered that 81 was a few blocks down in the middle of different adresses, who knows why.

AboveTheCut
04-15-2008, 11:10 PM
too funny! i couldnt see the house number but my nav was telling me i was there. somewhat match the boss mans description. i plow the drive and when turning around by the house an old man comes out and i ask if he is so and so and he says no and i say is this 5555 and he says no. and i say, have a great day and enjoy your nice clean driveway.

kleankutslawn
04-15-2008, 11:19 PM
wow we have to be more careful.lol

Orbitalawn1
04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
ohh man . lol thats too funny

PatriotLandscape
04-16-2008, 10:40 PM
You would think he would have said something.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Good story, and yes you may pick up another weekly mow:)

quipit
04-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I had a friend that had the wrong tooth pulled, he didn't notice it until the novacaine wore off...lol

thesodfather
04-17-2008, 10:12 PM
a couple years ago while working under another lco i was sent on my own to a house to weed before we mulched it that week because it was a big job.. i got there and was done in 3 hours piece of cake nothing big.. we get there to do the job and i weeded the wrong house.. man was the crew pissed haha i felt like an ass for awhile now we just joke about it

bibbo
04-17-2008, 10:21 PM
over the winter when out plowing with a buddy we plowed the wrong driveway, it was across the street and 2 houses away from the right one lol needless to say we had a good laugh when we realized it when the customer called in the morning asking why her driveway wasent done

All Season Bill
04-18-2008, 10:51 PM
(stephenf -'I cut the wrong lawn')

My freak wrong lawn occured on a street where the city limit border goes down the center of the road and each side of the road had a different name - Is that stupid, or what? Any of you from this area might be familiar with Section Avenue and Rhode Island Avenue. But anyway - yes I did the wrong lawn.

ALC-GregH
04-18-2008, 11:08 PM
You would think he would have said something.

but he did, right after he finished. LOL

topsites
04-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I've cut the wrong one before too hehehe

Sweet Tater
04-19-2008, 04:21 PM
well some one mowed the front lawn of one of my houses the other day. Did you drive to Ms?

thesodfather
04-22-2008, 03:38 PM
i caught myself zoning out the other day when i was on a pair of lawns right next to each other and i ended up coasting right into the back yard of the next house too.. prolly cut half of the lawn without noticing haha