PDA

View Full Version : Should you hire friends

PRECISION LC
12-03-2001, 05:53 PM
I am starting to expand my business and I'm looking for good, reliable help.(Just like everyone else) Ive had friends work for me in the past,just on a as need basis and they have done good work, and we haven't had any problems. Just wondering is it a good idea or not to hire them full time or not?
Thanks
Kyle:blob2:

Runner
12-03-2001, 06:40 PM
The answer os no. Plain, and simple, no. Too many reasons to list. I'm talking from nearly 20 years experience. If you have them come out to help once in a while, or something like that, that's fine. I've helped many friends out that needed some extra money. But as far as ful time, again, the answer is n-o.

awm
12-03-2001, 06:53 PM
it can be done i think if participants are smart ,mature and
honest as in not trying to take advantage etc.
if the friendship is a major important thing in your life,
id say no ,as it cant help but change the relationship.
if not so major ,and they can be an asset to your buisiness
id say go with your gut and hire or dont hire according to
what you really think will be best.

Lawn Dog2001
12-03-2001, 06:58 PM
That depends. If someone is your friend you should no something about who they are. If you know the person to be hard working and respectful, then yes I would hire him. On the other hand, if you no that person to be a slacker, or untrustworthy, then dont hire them just because they are your friend.

I once got stuck with my sisters boyfriend working for me. We were friends and I thought I would be helping my sister out to give him a job. I knew he was a screw up from the start. Im not sure he was ever on time once. He would not come at times. he did pretty good work, but he felt that since he knew me everything I told him to do was up for debate. It really looked bad in front of my other employee at the time. Finally it hit the fan when I caught him smoking pot in the back yard of one of my properties. Luckily it was an empty house I do for a realtor. Not only did I fire him, but I left him with a black ring around his eye to remember me by.

That is the worst incidents I have ever had with an employee. It would have never escalated that far if he wasnt my sisters boyfriend. Anyone else would have been let go before the end of the week.

jdwilliams1
12-03-2001, 07:13 PM
no!

Fantasy Lawns
12-03-2001, 07:18 PM
no ..... if you want to keep em;->

Fine Lines Lawn
12-03-2001, 08:08 PM
A thousand times NO !!!

Green Care
12-03-2001, 08:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Friends intend to carry friendship too far.
Will not take job serious.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyslawns
12-03-2001, 08:26 PM
Be a freind or be a boss. It is hard to be both. I f your freind/employee does something wrong and you have to chew his ass,you probably will not be hanging out with him for a while. I have lost a couple freinds doing this.:blob4:

Highpoint
12-03-2001, 08:59 PM
Friends will work well for about 2 weeks. Then they will start showing signs of Buddyisum. Buddyisum is a sickness in the brain for your pals. It starts in the back of their mind and moves forward quickley. Signs of Buddyisum are: showing up late. making excueses. asking how much you make and then jokingly saying "and then you'll give me half". NOT! Asking to use the equipment for their own lawn but then sneak down the street and do a side job and put the dough in their pocket and leave your equipment empty. I could go on and on. Just use them for part time help. Good luck.

GreenQuest Lawn
12-03-2001, 09:02 PM
NO!!!!!

Randy Scott
12-03-2001, 09:37 PM
I haven't and don't plan on it.

longslawn
12-03-2001, 09:42 PM
It depends on what you want to lose the most
a good friend
or a employee
if it don't work out. My advice is not to hire friends are family as permanent employees:rolleyes:

Sammy
12-03-2001, 09:54 PM
NO ! :D

Mowingman
12-03-2001, 10:18 PM
NO!!!

little green guy
12-04-2001, 12:35 AM
NO!!

walker-talker
12-04-2001, 01:03 AM
I have a friend that has been asking me to go into partnership with him. He is self-employed, but not in this industry. He is a very hard worker. I am 33 years old and have been friends with him for 25 of those years. Today I told him no, that I would not go into business with him because 25 years from now I would still like to be friends.
Matt

Shady Brook
12-04-2001, 10:16 AM
No

You will likely go though many many workers if you stay in the business long, don't ruin a friendship in the process.

Jay

bobbygedd
12-04-2001, 02:07 PM
do not employ or work for friends

GreenStar
12-04-2001, 02:31 PM
that all depends, do they drink the same number of beers with you at the bar watching monday night football? if yes then probly shouldn't hire friends. i know i need to be on the road at 7:30 not 8:15 but your drinking buddy will not see it that way. i hired one of my friends for one sole purpose.. i have a few complexes that get trimmed bi weekly. he checks in with me in the morning i give him a check sheet gas edgers blowers and such and he leaves i check his work when i'm there to cut. this works good for both of us he's a college student and a bar tender at night. he know his schedule and works them together. has anyone else done this?

yergus
12-04-2001, 08:38 PM
no friends, no relatives. only use occasionally, as needed, they feel they are helping you out, as your employee, they expect higher pay, less work and every privelage that no one else has, not even the owner.

Freetime
12-04-2001, 10:22 PM
Do not hire friends on a full time basis
(help in the summer growing season, weekends maybe)

Just to much conflict

CSRA Landscaping
12-05-2001, 12:40 AM
Sure, why not!

Just kidding. NO!

DanG
12-05-2001, 12:53 AM
No.....

I agree with most of the others here on this.

They'll start taking advantage of you by showing up late, leaving early,long lunchs,sloppy work and on and on.

And this is the best of all....expect you to hand deliver their paycheck to their house when they don't show up that day.(I've had all these happen)

And always trying to bum lunch money, or gas money ETC....

Dan

strickdad
12-05-2001, 04:12 AM
again no..... unless of course you do like me.. i married my best friend, and now SHE is my BOSS!!!!!

Michael Fronczak
12-05-2001, 04:48 PM
Friends & Family

Where to start, I have had both work for me. I always seem to fell like I'm getting screwed. Friends not as bad though. Family well.... Good luck, I'm trying to get out of that rut, tough one to break. I'm at the point where I need a full time year round employee on salary to take over for me when I can't be in the field, or I can't grow my bus. anymore. I can affird to pay good, give good benefits, & if not abused extras(take a truck home (99 1 ton 4x4 PU), cell phone, ect.). I don't work my guys hard, generally 8 or 9 hr days, do as much as possible with equipment, ect. Family seems to think college =better pay, till they can't find a job, seen it happen too much. Good luck, I'm trying to get out of that rut- it's one of my winter projects.

gkell88
12-05-2001, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Michael Fronczak
Friends & Family
I'm at the point where I need a full time year round employee on salary to take over for me when I can't be in the field, or I can't grow my bus. anymore. I can affird to pay good, give good benefits, & if not abused extras(take a truck home (99 1 ton 4x4 PU), cell phone, ect.). I don't work my guys hard, generally 8 or 9 hr days, do as much as possible with equipment, ect.

I could've written that!

My first time finding this forum, and you guys got me nailed. I'm taking over my boss's company on Jan 1st, and I'm going to allow my brother and sister to try their hands at helping. I think I can make this work, but I am worried. I realize I have a chance of failure, but the way I read the labor market, I have smaller chance of finding someone I can trust my future with. I am in the position of be more afraid of growth, than interested in pursuing it, just because I have no confidence in finding a good employee.

Twotoros
12-06-2001, 12:55 PM
No . I tried and he produced 100-150 a day to my 250-300. I helped him go out on his own and he produced more for himself. I payed to good because he was a freind and took it in the shorts.

Next helper is a stanger that will ride shotgun so I can milk him for all he is worth.:blob2:

Sean Adams
12-07-2001, 02:07 AM
I disagree....but not really...I'll make this make sense....

I owned my business for 10 years. It was very successful with considerable growth each and every year. Our reputation was second to none. Our work was second to none. Our client retention rate was also second to none...you get the point.

This was all possible in large part due to my employees....
Mike, Ed, John, Sean, Scott, Frank, Eric, Dave, Seth

These 9 guys were my close friends. In fact, Mike has been my best friend for 20 years. And here is why it worked...

I treated them with respect, I paid them well, and I had them buy into the idea of being a part of something great. There was no hoax, no lying....just me paying my friends to do the best they could. Everywhere I went I was always complimented personally. I was quick - instant quick - to praise my employees, my friends. I explained that it was all their doing. When there was criticism, I took the blame as company owner. They still admitted and fixed their mistakes though.

Yes, hiring a friend is a different situation, and for some unpleasant. Maybe I was lucky. They are all still my friends today.