PDA

View Full Version : What to plant here? Opinions please

M&MLawn
04-15-2008, 12:21 PM
We typically do lawn maintenance, mulch, and a few trees. We have a customer with the following specs:

-8ft section and 17ft section against the house that she would like shrubs put. She would like them to grow around 3-4 feet or be able to be trimmed to that at least. The soil here is sandy and its a shady section. I was thinking of putting in Blue Star Junipers. Since they get to about 4 feet wide I was thinking of two in the 8ft section and 4 in the 17ft section. Opinions?

-26 foot walkway that is approx. 3 feet wide. They would like some flower beds put in on each side for a total of 52 feet of flower beds. We were thinking of making some nice edged curved beds and mixing in plants that would flower at various times. We were thinking of putting in hostas at the wider points of the beds and then what other perennials would you suggest mixing in? This area is mostly sunny.

Thanks for any advice you have!

TScapes
04-15-2008, 01:17 PM
We typically do lawn maintenance, mulch, and a few trees. We have a customer with the following specs:

-8ft section and 17ft section against the house that she would like shrubs put. She would like them to grow around 3-4 feet or be able to be trimmed to that at least. The soil here is sandy and its a shady section. I was thinking of putting in Blue Star Junipers. Since they get to about 4 feet wide I was thinking of two in the 8ft section and 4 in the 17ft section. Opinions?

-26 foot walkway that is approx. 3 feet wide. They would like some flower beds put in on each side for a total of 52 feet of flower beds. We were thinking of making some nice edged curved beds and mixing in plants that would flower at various times. We were thinking of putting in hostas at the wider points of the beds and then what other perennials would you suggest mixing in? This area is mostly sunny.

Thanks for any advice you have!

Just my opinion, and not seeing the location, I would recommend some Otto Luykens for a foundation planting against the house. Deep green foliage is easy to play off of with contrasting colors. Also, very little maintenance to keep these boys at 4' or under.

As for the walkway, why not incorporate some phlox or candy tuft (early spring), some dianthus (mid spring), daylillies (all summer), rudebekia, coneflowers, salvia, ferns (all summer till frost). You can even add some pockets of annuals for different effects. Asters and mums will give you some fall extra color. Some bulbs in the fall will give some other size and color options for next spring. You can also add an azalea here and there to give you perennial power and blooms.

There are too many options to list, really. It really depends on the site and conditions (soil? water? drainage?) You can add dwarf grasses for color (blue fescue), texture and height(dwarf miscanthus). Liriope and mondo grass too! The varigated ones give you color options. Sounds fun! Should be a great opportunity for you.

M&MLawn
04-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Unfortunately the Otto Luykens wont work due to the fact that we are zone 5 and those really thrive best in 6-8.

Anyone else? Any suggestions on an everygreen shrub?

BCFLawnLandscape
04-19-2008, 11:50 PM
holly or boxwood's usually do the trick in zone 6 not sure about zone 5

M&MLawn
05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
We ended up going with the boxwoods and the customer is thrilled. Now we are starting the walkway area this week. It is a straight 26 foot long walkway. Trying to decide on straight edge beds on each side or curved on each side....any thoughts as to what you like better and why?

BillyRgn
05-06-2008, 12:06 AM
go with curves, there more intresting, as far as straight lines, they are imposible to keep straight forever

Stillwater
05-08-2008, 12:16 AM
curves.................