PDA

View Full Version : Seeding 80k sqft - Quote help

myyaz33
04-15-2008, 09:21 PM
I am needing to quote a job and not really sure what the going rate would be so let me share some of the details and my thoughts. FYI - job is in Nebraska.

Customer doesn't have much money to be spending but wants a good turf style grass for their kids. Because there are no underground sprinklers and taking into consideration the size of the project, I suggested hydroseeding, (even though I don't hydro myself). They were scared of the cost which I think I told them about .09 sqft (hopefully close). So the next route I took was to recommend broadcast seeding Tall Fescue which seems like the logical fit for this area. I am just not sure where to start pricing as if I do broadcast it, I will have to likely do it at multiple trips which is about 40 miles away because they can't water that much without tearing up the ground.

Prep time should be less than 6hrs with the landscape rake. Wasn't to sure about the cost of erosion control be it straw of something else. I have never really used straw and had good luck, but mostly done in the fall. Do most people incorporate fertilizer, prep & seed into a sqft price?

Hopefully covered most things. Would love some input.

start2finish
04-15-2008, 11:23 PM
we charge .06 per sq ft on seeding, NO GRADING, just loosen seed bed, ammend soil, and cover with straw.

$600.00 seed
262.50 straw
125 fert 18-24-12
100 lime (soil test PH first) Nebraska probably is different than here
$1087.50 materials

1 day complete , one bobcat, one tractor with harley rake $960 (comparable billed cost)

2 men (labor) 560.00

$2607.50
.06 x 43560 = $2613.60

$1520 less fuel and wages , $384 wages, $580 fuel ($964.00) $556.00 PER ACRE (times 2)for profit and overhead. my figures do not include overhead and payroll expenses. 2-3 acres a day production so 1112.00 to $1668 per day to cover profit and overhead. NO WARRANTY on performance, just application. Plant and walk away.

This is per acre

KanAg
04-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Well the key part I honed in on was "not much money". This is going to fall into the area of more money than they like no matter how they figure it.

I know I would do the job for about $0.0625 a sq ft for seed, fert, and mulch. The ground prep would cost them about $90hr taking 6-8hrs. I always estimate ground prep in hrs because its always something that makes it take longer than I want. Now this assumes many things about their property and price only goes up for less than prime conditions.

myyaz33
04-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the input fellas. My initial thoughts on pricing were a little low compared to the numbers posted so far. I think it would also be wise to specify how much time for grading is included in the price and how much the hourly rate will be if it needs more. My big hesitation is the spring seeding with the crazy rains we can get OR not get. I understand most if not all people understand there are no guarantees when it comes to seeding.

I am guessing most of you spread straw. Do you spread it everywhere or just places that are likely for erosion? Also how many of you would spread straw by hand for a job this size? I have no idea if anyones rents a bale chopper around here.

KanAg
04-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the input fellas. My initial thoughts on pricing were a little low compared to the numbers posted so far. I think it would also be wise to specify how much time for grading is included in the price and how much the hourly rate will be if it needs more. My big hesitation is the spring seeding with the crazy rains we can get OR not get. I understand most if not all people understand there are no guarantees when it comes to seeding.

I would make sure they do understand, I have already done 10 yard installs so far this spring and each has been given a yard install sheet I made up that has that included as part of it.

I am guessing most of you spread straw. Do you spread it everywhere or just places that are likely for erosion? Also how many of you would spread straw by hand for a job this size? I have no idea if anyones rents a bale chopper around here.

I one time spread straw by hand on a 40k sq ft job.....never again. As I am a hydroseeder I mulch everywhere. But if I had to do straw on that much area I would rent a straw blower and then afterward crimp it in. Someone somewhere rents a blower....money well spent to get one.

Atlantic Lawn
04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
KanAg , Have You ever Hydro Seeded a warm season grass such as bermuda ?

KanAg
04-16-2008, 12:05 PM
KanAg , Have You ever Hydro Seeded a warm season grass such as bermuda ?

I am sorry no.....in my area they view Bermuda as a weed grass. But hydroseeding is hydroseeding....the process is the same.

Turboguy
04-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Atlantic, I am not sure if you were trying to find out if Bermuda is a suitable seed for hydro seeding or if you were suggesting that as a possible seed. There is a lot of Berumda grass hydroseeded in warmer areas. You can not seed a hybrid Bermuda only common Bermuda. Hybrd varieties can only be sprigged or sodded. There are some new varieties of common Bermuda that are pretty nice such as Princess 77. Usual seeding rate is about 2 pounds per 1000. Most guys go with hulled Bermuda for faster germination. I have hydro seeded Bermuda but of course not in PA where I am and I would not suggest it for Kansas. Sorry if I am giving more info than anyone wanted.

Atlantic Lawn
04-16-2008, 04:45 PM
We tried Hydro seeding some last year with differing results, we sprayed in some Sahara and it did just ok. Then on another site we tried raking in seed in and then hydro mulched over the top of it. This seemed to work better. Just wondering what rate people were using and their success/failure rate was. Thanks

Turboguy
04-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Yes, Sahara is another pretty nice Bermuda. I have seen some guys doing Bermuda with a two step application where they spray the seed, a light application of mulch and fertilzer, let it dry a bit and spray another coat of just mulch over the top. The idea is to get a good mulch layer with maximum seed to soil contact. Doing it the way you did, broadcasting the seed and then overspraying with mulch would work well too. I don't get as much chance to work with Bermuda as I do our nothern grasses but I have seeded all over the US, down in the Caribbean and as far away as Azerbaijan which is along the Caspian Sea south of Russia. I have done Bermuda, Centipede, Bahia and a lot of grasses not too many around here would have even heard of.