PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my F550?

Seabiscuit
04-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey all! I'm new to the boards. I moved here to Oak Ridge, Tennessee (East side of TN, near Knoxville for those unfamiliar). I'm an IT guy at a local radiation plant and am hoping to earn some extra cash on evenings and weekends. I drove here from Washington state in an F550 that has been a money pit, but now that I've put a "new" 70k mile 7.3L Diesel in it, it should be ready to work in a week or two. It has an 8' x 10' flatbed with removable 2' sides.

I've thought about doing custom hauling, car hauling, or brush clearing with it (well hauling equipment for that), but when looking through a Tractor Supply catalog today I saw large liquid tanks and thought about doing a fertilizing tanker business.

I figure not everybody has a truck with the weight capacity of a 550, so I have a slight advantage over the average Joe, be it slight... and perhaps offset by my lack of experience other than what I learned growing up on a dairy..

.. I believe I can stack another another 9k or 10k lbs on the truck and still be within legal weight constraints... and haul another 8 or 9 thousand pounds if I eventually got a trailer. A 1100 gallon tank is available at tractor supply so I could pretty much fill that up and be okay... of course I would need to account for pump, hose, materials, and tools weight...

How feasible is this tanker fertilizing/pesticide idea in your opinion? I'm figuring on keeping the product mostly liquid because that would be far faster per house unless I'm mistaken, and from some reading, it sounds more price efficient. Not that I would totally rule out the granulated product.. just keep it to a minimum.

In terms of mixing I've seen guys mentioning using a mix bottle at the nozzle of the hose to minimize waste and have the primary tank just full of pure water. By that method I could have one tank and maintain the option for several products.

Then there's the larger commercial job idea.. ballparks, city parks, and just massive lawns were perhaps I could use the truck as an entire spray unit... I imagine my tires could damage the ground though in that case

and thoughts or ideas on this plan? Anybody already have a business going who wants another truck to run for you?

I'll be doing a lot more readin on these boards, but wanted to get a quick post in.. Thanks!

fool32696
04-15-2008, 11:59 PM
With a full on Spray truck there's no way you could get away, even for a little while without state licensing. Sell the truck and work longer hours at the plant.

kleankutslawn
04-16-2008, 12:22 AM
this could cost you alot of money and headaches

Seabiscuit
04-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Ya, I dont think I'd try without the license.. I'll by figurin on avoiding the massive cash/jail penalties. =)

Well dang.. what about thoughts on spraying that fertilized seed mix you often seen in new developments?

P.Services
04-16-2008, 12:40 AM
you mean hydroseed?

Seabiscuit
04-16-2008, 06:07 PM
If hydroseed is the sprayed-on seed, I guess ya. I'm pretty green if that isnt yet apparent. =)

fool32696
04-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Having a truck isn't a reason for choosing a profession. Your profession should choose your equipment.

kleankutslawn
04-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Having a truck isn't a reason for choosing a profession. Your profession should choose your equipment.

i totally agree

KGR landscapeing
04-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Why the heck did you have this rig in Washington what did you do with it there. i mean if it was a dump you would be good to go but. its not its just a flat bed.

old oak lawn
04-16-2008, 11:52 PM
the funny part is you dont even know how much trouble you will get in. some one will call the state boys on you and then you will have to pay big $$$$. you dont know what u are doing. work at the plant more ,its a lot better then jail.

Seabiscuit
04-17-2008, 10:49 PM
I think I gave the wrong impression =) I dont intend to do something illegally. I was asking first to get some ideas. If a chosen idea requires licensing/permitting, I'll do it right if thats what I choose. I really do prefer to avoid big fines and being the receiver for Bubba ITB :usflag:

I bought the truck anticipating hauling a goosneck with a car on when I moved across the country. In addition I wanted "options" for a more blue collar job outside of IT, my current field.
I was looking for something just big enough haul the trailer and car, but I found a good deal on the 550 (well, I thought, but was very VERY painfully wrong). I figured if I ended up not wanting it I could likely sell it for a small profit, or at cost if needed. Thats long out the window unless I spray it with some fresh paint and start fabbin some fancy parts up for it... and that isnt likely either.

My "blue collar" job in mind was brush clearing of sorts. Beginning by owning a trailer and renting equipment for jobs to test things out and get clients until I'm confident its something I can maintain income to cover equipment purchase/ownership costs.

Money ended up tighter than planned and I couldnt get a trailer and haul my car, so I figured I'd just drive the truck and earn money with it over here by some means.

With all that said I'm not committed to any business ideas I've mentioned. I'm also considering custome lighting applications in commercial and industrial applications and graphics work... those of course wouldnt require a truck with such a high weight capacity... ..

Hot shotting has also crossed my mind. .. maybe I should just become a gigolo :)

Seabiscuit
04-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Why the heck did you have this rig in Washington what did you do with it there. i mean if it was a dump you would be good to go but. its not its just a flat bed.

I just bought it to fulfill an assumed need for my cross-country move... it was overkill but for the same price so I thought I was golden.. .. well that need never materialized (that need being hauling a trailer with my car from WA to TN)..

I could always make it a dump .. If it was a dump what would you do with it? Deliver Mulch/gravel/bark/hog fuel?

KGR landscapeing
04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I just bought it to fulfill an assumed need for my cross-country move... it was overkill but for the same price so I thought I was golden.. .. well that need never materialized (that need being hauling a trailer with my car from WA to TN)..

I could always make it a dump .. If it was a dump what would you do with it? Deliver Mulch/gravel/bark/hog fuel?

thats right i run a bunch of picks ups so when it ocmes time to haul stuff what do i do i call up my buddy with a dump