PDA

View Full Version : Big lawns vs small lawns

bigw
04-16-2008, 12:04 AM
I know im no expert { yet } but so far i prefer bigger lawns then the smaller one's. I love using the ztr way more the the 36'' and i enjoy just the comfort and less laboring big lawns. To me id rather sit on the ztr for 2 hrs then have to load and unload every 20 mins. I hate all the opsticals in the smaller lawns. Anyway maybe ill change my mind but as of right now give me the big lawns.

stevenf
04-16-2008, 12:11 AM
I like my smaller lawns WAY better then my bigger ones. Of course I have a 44" homeowner ztr so you have to keep that in mind. I could take out four $30.00 lawns that are close together in the time I take out one $60.00 lawn. To me, The smaller lawns are wat more profitable.

dcgreenspro
04-16-2008, 12:19 AM
I agree. I use my 48in metro on 5 close properties that don't take me an hour and net more doing them then I do my large ones not to mention the time factor.

bill8379
04-16-2008, 12:25 AM
love using the ztr way more the the 36''

A small z like a gravely 34z might be the ticket. I seen your other comment about the Quick 36, when I bought my Toro 36 wb I thought I could get it into a truck bed when I realized I needed a trailer, and HAD to buy one, I wished I had bought a rider instead of a wb.

I like large yards too but almost all of mine are small to medium sized. The neighbourhoods where I get customers for lawns, I've been working in, doing Windows, for years. I'm not even sure how to JUST GET large lawns.

cgaengineer
04-16-2008, 06:42 AM
I find that people don't want to pay as much for a larger lawn. They see the lawn as wide open, obstacle free and that I am riding so they think its easy. What these clients dont understand is that by having me do the lawn they are saving themselves time to do other things like spend time with their family and not have to worry about the drudge of mowing a large property.

MJS
04-16-2008, 12:42 PM
I like small lawns - more money, less time - that pretty much sums it up.

larryinalabama
04-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I just like nice looking homes. My biggest yard is just shy of 3 acers. Any bigger I cant compete with those fellers who run those Dixie Choppers. I really dont want to invest 12 in my business at this time. I probably have made more money with my 21'" snapper than anyother peice of equiptment.

mybowtie
04-16-2008, 01:37 PM

X2....All of my smaller lawns I can still use my 60" ztr. I wont drop the gate for under $40. The small 20 minnet lawns are more $$ in my pocket. Most of my lawns are 45 minnets to 2 1/2 hrs w/2 ztr's. The area im in just dont have small lawns, and if they do, the owners do it themselves.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I voted for small since 36" is the biggest deck I have for mowing. Plus, small typically = residential which may mean a long term customer and good relationship. Large typically = commercial customer which means 'I'll dump you next year for the cheapest dude in town regardless if the lawn looks like a football field or not'

capnsac
04-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Give me my 60" tank and a big commons area and I'm there. I'll bid that puppy just right to make 70 an hour and usually there is little to no trimming involved. Happy days.

Greenleaf Lawns
04-17-2008, 12:59 PM
I probably have made more money with my 21'" snapper than anyother peice of equiptment.

amen, gotta love those 21" snappers

larryinalabama
04-17-2008, 01:09 PM
amen, gotta love those 21" snappers

I bought my Snapper 21" in 2001 with a Robin engine, I wish I would have put a hour meter on her, I wouldnt doubt I have 2500 hours on her and shes still tight as when it was new.

GreenthumbGA
04-17-2008, 01:26 PM
I make more money on smaller yards, have less headaches with larger yards. Less headaches don't pay bills

dougmartin2003
04-17-2008, 08:21 PM
around here 4 , 1/4 acre yards bring almost twice as much as 1, 1acre yard. i wont ever put a bid on the bigger yards.

capnsac
04-18-2008, 12:46 AM
so say you're doing all of these smaller yards, and you work an 8 hour day. Are you bringing home 500 a day, 600, 700 etc? I am just curious how these smaller lawns effect my pocketbook?

THRIFTY
04-18-2008, 07:42 PM
It isn't big vs small with me. Its quality of the lawn. I always enjoy mowing a lush, green, debris free lawn big or small! On the other hand, I always get really bored mowing ratty lawns. Even when they do pay the same.

Patriot Services
04-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Every one of my 82 accounts is no bigger than 1/4 acre, most are a 1/5. This is a standard homesite size here in Tampa. 90% of the yards have a 36" gate. My two mowers now are a Gravely 34 ZTR and a Encore 36" WB. I turn down any calls I get for large props or acreage. People are too cheap as they see it as wide open and easy to cut. I quoted a guy 100.00 a month for an empty acre lot and he about fell over. I wonder about some guys I see with 48" or 52" ZTR and a trimmer driving around. Kind of limits yourself I think.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

grasswhacker
04-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Yup, me too.

cuttin-up
04-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I prefer big lawns, the unloading and loading of equipment can get old during a hot day.

Ronniecoleman
04-18-2008, 09:32 PM
I prefer smalls lawns that I have 5 to 6 on the same street, I also enjoy the larger properties that you can sit back and relax on.

capnsac
04-21-2008, 12:25 AM
shoot man if the moneys right I'll do just about anything. Saying that reminds of that girl last night... ;-) but seriously though, it's all a question of what you can get your hands on.

Roger
04-21-2008, 06:34 AM
... To me id rather sit on the ztr for 2 hrs then have to load and unload every 20 mins. ...

What one would rather do, and what one needs to do for best profit aren't necessarily the same thing. The current thread of yours about the $155 for 5 acres makes that pretty clear.

For those wanting a life of ease of not loading and unloading equipment, that is your choice. I think the focus on this thread is cutting residential properties, those of 1/4 to 2 acres. I'll take the profitable jobs every day, and those are the smaller jobs. This topic has been hashed, rehashed, and hashed again -- the smaller jobs are the most profitable, regardless of how much anybody wants to sit on their ZTR.

There are two pieces to the story:
1. The service rate per square unit is always higher for smaller residential properties.
2. The cost of running the larger equipment is always larger than running smaller equipment. I would much prefer to use a 21" hand mower (at $1,200 each, using less than a quart of fuel per hour, with no engine oil/filter and hydro oil changes), than a $5,000, $6,000, or $8,000 ZTR, using more than a gallon of fuel per hour, requires oil and filter changes, expensive hydro filters, etc.). The operating costs are so much higher.

But, if you like to sit and ride for long periods of time, ... your choice.

If the mix of properties in your area includes larger properties, then equipment other than 48", 60" mowers are needed to handle those jobs.

Liendeni
04-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Yep, learning the hard way that I don't really care for lush 1 acre premier estate homes.

minute per minute...I am making about double on the smaller lawns.

I am also learning that large expensive homes = cheap, picky, want something for nothing

ed2hess
04-26-2008, 09:38 PM
The guy that is making more than any of us figured out that small lots are the way to go and that is how he got into the million size business. Now he is branching out all over many places. Lots and lots of guys like ridding on big units in our area cutting big acres and those prices are coming down faster than small lots.

Andyinchville
04-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Make mine micro lawns side by side by side etc.......Way more profits per time spent.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
04-26-2008, 09:52 PM
I'll take the small residentials all day long,fences ,hills,whatever. Running standers all day on small residentials is to me the most profitable. The bigger the yards the customer does not want to pay that high. Its tough to get $55 an acre here,but i can get 45 for A 1/4 acre all day long no problem !$35 for postage stamp lots ! Now what would you rather cut. The way to go is Residential,Real tight routes ..just my .02 cents. Theres more cut throat lowballin if you want to call it that .. ? in commercial then residential anyday.

sweetz
05-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Yep, learning the hard way that I don't really care for lush 1 acre premier estate homes.

minute per minute...I am making about double on the smaller lawns.

I am also learning that large expensive homes = cheap, picky, want something for nothing

EXACTLY!!!

sweetz
05-16-2008, 10:48 PM
I'll take the small residentials all day long,fences ,hills,whatever. Running standers all day on small residentials is to me the most profitable. The bigger the yards the customer does not want to pay that high. Its tough to get $55 an acre here,but i can get 45 for A 1/4 acre all day long no problem !$35 for postage stamp lots ! Now what would you rather cut. The way to go is Residential,Real tight routes ..just my .02 cents. Theres more cut throat lowballin if you want to call it that .. ? in commercial then residential anyday.

YUP!!!! :usflag::usflag::usflag:

sweetz
05-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Make mine micro lawns side by side by side etc.......Way more profits per time spent.

Couldn't agree more!:clapping:

Frue
05-16-2008, 11:15 PM
I like smaller more money.

ACutAbovesiny
05-16-2008, 11:37 PM
In this area 1/4 acre is big. and that is the lot size not the lawn area and the houses take up most of the property. $25 - $30 per cut for town houses and semi attatched homes are standard around here and they take less than 15 minutes each. The thing to focus on is a tight route of these small properties. Ill take them over the larger lots any day.

S man
05-17-2008, 01:57 AM
All I have is small lawns. That's why my ztr is a 34". It's productive on smaller properties without having a w/b.

Sal200
05-17-2008, 10:25 PM
In this area 1/4 acre is big. and that is the lot size not the lawn area and the houses take up most of the property. $25 - $30 per cut for town houses and semi attatched homes are standard around here and they take less than 15 minutes each. The thing to focus on is a tight route of these small properties. Ill take them over the larger lots any day.

Im from Long Island and i see your in staten island and our cost of living is about the same. Are you charging 25-30 for the 1/4 acre properties or is that for the smaller postage stamp lots.