PDA

View Full Version : Turf Tiger Starter

Shady Brook
12-03-2001, 10:46 PM
Anybody lose a Starter on a Turf Tiger? I had a bad feeling it was on it's way out. Well I guess I should have expected it would fail, after all it is a year and a half old!:angry:

Do they use the same starters in a Tiger as they do in some of the other popular ztr's? I just hate to keep eating it on this thing, a starter should not fail this early in my opinion, anybody with thoughts?

I was taking her into the dealer so he could look at major weld breakage near where the rear part of the drive shaft mounts, which failed a month ago. Has anyone had alot of weld breaks on their Tiger, or is it just me?

Enough squaking for me.

Thanks
Jay

mowerconsultant
12-03-2001, 10:55 PM
Which engine is on your Tiger ???
Then maybe I can help ya with some info

Later
Pj

odin
12-03-2001, 11:02 PM
Jay
Does yours have 22 lc kaw ?If it d oes take it lose and see if the plastic stem on the inside of the starter is line up in the engine right

Shady Brook
12-03-2001, 11:11 PM
Thanks Guys

Mine is the 22 Kaw.

Jack, I do not have the machine. I was at the shop when she failed, they had to fork lift it into the building. I would have had to take it home and leave it on the trailer til the part came in. Have you had a problem with yours before?

Thanks

Jay

odin
12-03-2001, 11:20 PM
Jay just before we got rid of the tiger the starter would not make it turn over, just would make a grinding noise .SO i went to take it off to see about maybe getting a new one .And i noticed a plastic stem not lined up with the gear on the inside.
I couldnt believe all the plastic in there

Shady Brook
12-03-2001, 11:28 PM
Jack

So in order to see the plastic stem you had to remove the starter, correct? I could not see what the mechanic was doing for sure, I know he tried to jump it at the starter with another battery, and he goofed around with the fly wheel, and felt confident it was locked up. Perhaps it is just the plastic piece. Plastic doew not inspire confidence in me for some reason. I will check into that in the morning, thanks buddy!

Jay

odin
12-03-2001, 11:42 PM
yes i had to take it loose .the starter isnt a big one like on kohlers .Its on the small size.Did you take it to terpstras?
They seem like good folks i hope they deal square with you.
Its hard to desribe what i did in words but hopely it can be of help
to you

gene gls
12-03-2001, 11:42 PM
Shady:

I have a Walker with the 20 HP Kholer. My first starter went at 120 hours. I'm at 2100 hours and have had 4 starters replaced. Its ready for a second one this year. The dust and dirt get in and seize the berrings so it dosen't slide in and out of the fly wheel . I just had my spare rebuilt for $45.00.

Gene

Shady Brook
12-03-2001, 11:54 PM
She is at Terpstras, I will talk with them in the morn. 4 starters. that is crazy. I know it is dirty and all, but wow! I do know a fella that rebuilds starters, I should give him a call in the morn too. I don't need it til next season. It has to be cheaper then a brand new one.

Thanks guys
Jay

Shady Brook
12-04-2001, 03:14 PM
Talked to the parts guy today, and said it was covered by the Kaw warrentee! :blob3:

Boy am I happy about that, so in a sense I jumped to conclusions, did not figure it would be considered as part of the engine, my bad.

I also had communication with Scag, and those guys do not fail to amaze me. Perahps I am sour and do not expect much quality service these days, but the guys at Scag are great! From my experience they are fast with communication, and get things taken care of for their customer. They told me that the dealer should file it for warrentee throught the engine manufacturer, and if they would not pay to file it through Scag, and they would see that it was taken care of.

I may have some gripes about my Tiger, never my walkbehinds, but I have nothing but praise for the guys at Scag! :)

Jay

Richard Martin
12-04-2001, 05:35 PM
gene gls wrote:
20 HP Kholer. My first starter went at 120 hours. I'm at 2100 hours and have had 4 starters replaced.

Gene, there is regular maintenance that is supposed to be done to Kohler starters that hardly anyone knows about. It is only mentioned in the factory service manual and Kohler sells more starters if no one knows about it. If you like I can post the procedures for you.

gene gls
12-04-2001, 10:52 PM
Thanks Richard! I was told about the maintaince not long ago on this site. Its a pain to service the starter on a Walker. I keep a spare on hand and when I hear it dragging I know its time. I leave the repair work to the dealer. I have Artharits in my hands and never seem to have the proper tools any way.

Gene