PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise: Should I or Shouldn't I

FM2920
12-03-2001, 11:00 PM
I'm not going to ask about the things I need to get or do to start a new lawn care business, there are plenty of old treads to help me with that.

What I would like help on is: should I bother opening a new business or is it just too saturated with competition? I would be operating in the north Houston area, the general homes here go from $50,000 to over $1 million. And if you know Houston it has mild winters with long hot summers, makes for long cutting seasons.

Driving through an upper class subdivision, the other day, I noticed 4 lawn crews working on one block. With this type of competition is there anyway for a small operation to get started, or should I look into some other type of trade?

If you think it is possible, what things can I do to help off set the competition (ie types of advertisement, other services)?

Thanks for any advise?

LawnPro in NC
12-03-2001, 11:12 PM
I would say, that if you have at least a couple customers then go for it. I started in august of this year with 5 and have already gotten to 16. Do a good job and the customers will come. Keep your prices in line with the other LCO's. You won't survive long working to cheap. Don't expect help from other co's. But always be the first to wave or speak to them. Chances are they will not come to you. A good starter is "have you ever heard of Lawnsite.Com" the most Haven't. Some will not even give you the time. But some will give you biz. Ask for their aggrevatting customers they may want to get rid of. Then you can pass these on when you get other biz.

And that has been my .00 worth.

landscaper3
12-03-2001, 11:14 PM
Do it! Get some door hangers made up for residential homes (start with residential if new to business) run some adds and DONT just do mowing! Add things in ad like landscape lighting, landscape construction or tree and shrub installation, Christmas lighting, or anything else to stand you out from the other LCO's. There are many other trades like patio pavers big $$$ same with retaining walls and walkways. If you just want to mow its going to be hard to keep up with those that have a long history with there clientell! I would love to do holiday lighting but with the most being at Christmas its real hard in our area do to up to 160plus inches of snow! Makes taking down or replacing bulbs and misc REAL HARD!

casey
12-03-2001, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by FM2920

If you think it is possible, what things can I do to help off set the competition .

Offer a lower price. Bid each contract with three seperate prices & service levels with the lowest being a basic mow & go.

David Gretzmier
12-04-2001, 12:23 AM
Sorry- gotta go the other way with this one. Houston is more than competitive, it is cut thoat. My sister lives there, and has had excellent service from several companies mowing for 12 dollars! they do the whole block, and don't miss anything. I would charge 45 for the same lawn here. Her price has actually went down 4 times in the past ten years. I'd pick a more specialized service like flowerbeds, tree trimming, or something less competitive. Dave g