PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Pinestraw to Hardwood Mulch

TScapes
04-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Just wondering what some of you guys would charge to remove the existing pinestraw and install hardwood mulch. I have a large commercial property that has always been pinestraw (325bales) It was freshly strawed two weeks ago. However, the new management wants to rip it up and put down mulch. (107 yds at 1 1/2" or 130 at 2")

Normally I charge the price of the pinestraw installation to remove it. However, I do not want to loose the property from a maintenance standpoint, as it is close to $3k per month. And the new management has already balked at my original price for removal and installation of the hardwood. Especially since the conversion from pinestraw to mulch would increase the monthly billing another several hundred dollars per month. They are talking of bidding this out.

Just wanted to get some other people's thoughts on this.

TScapes
04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
W'sup? No one ever have to do this before? I have had to do this on a few occasions, but wanted to vent a little this time and to see how someone on here might approach things. Simply looking for a little input..... throw me a bone someone.

1wezil
04-16-2008, 10:49 PM
bump ----------bump

Bigred350
04-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Why not just leave it and mulch over it. Cause the pine needles will be rotted in a year anyway.

If not then I would put the pine needles in some big bags and reuse it on another job. That way you could price it a little cheaper if you were worried about not getting the job and loosing a good client.

sbarnes
04-18-2008, 12:41 AM
I own a pinestraw co. , If the straw isn't over 3" thick just mulch over it. it will settle down and break down nicely.

lawnspecialties
04-18-2008, 12:52 AM
I have an account who swicthed over from 175 bales of straw to mulch this year at my recommendation. I didn't charge them a thing for the removal of the old straw. Having mulch instead of pine straw is so much easier I was just glad they agreed to switch.

I only pulled off the thicker areas of straw and there are woods besides the property. I threw what I pulled into the woods and covered the rest with the mulch.:)

By the way, they absolutely loved the mulch. The pine straw always looked nice after an application but the look was getting old.

AWJ Services
04-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Thats alot of pinstraw.
Is it reusable?

I usually get around 1.50 too 2.00 dollars a sq/ft too remove everything,fix the beds and remulch.I am sure you will have too trim your costs too satisfy a good monthly account.
I would say around 100 man hours too complete the job and some provisions too haul the straw off.

I would think that with fresh straw the mulch would not cover it with only 2 inches of mulch.