PDA

View Full Version : Talking about Low-balling

moose203
04-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I have not yet started my business yet, starting in September I have about 600 hours of planning invested so far but I see why after this planning and research how much of a problem low-balling realy is. This is a copy and pasted add from a internet seach for my area

We Provide Affordable Lawn Care to the Murfreesboro/Bell Buckle Area. The Reason We Can Offer Such Affordable Rates is Because We Do Not Have Fancy Equipment with Monthly Payments. We Have A One Year Old Riding Mower,a Weed Eater and a Blower. Also, This Is Not Our Primary Source of Income!

I know this subject is beat like a dead horse but come on.

Jason

All_Toro_4ME
04-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Ads like that, you read, watch them and move on. Seriously, with equipment like that, they won't be around long. Payments or not. The cheap tin that they have that they call a mower, weed eater and blower wont hold up long in a true commercial environment.

dannyboy20
04-16-2008, 04:47 PM
If I were a customer I wouldnt even consider responding to an add like that. That is rediculous. Instead of advertising your junk equipment you should be advertising your services. What a Jack Ass.

DrGreenThumb
04-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I dont have the time to fight with this guy im going to make some money!

jiggz
04-17-2008, 12:09 AM
hahahah this guy is a complete *******

milkie62
04-21-2008, 03:08 AM
But there is a percentage of people out there that do not have the time or know how to mow their own lawn and are looking for a cheap way out.

mngrassguy
04-21-2008, 03:53 AM
Every industry has its lowballers. Some people drive VW's and some drive Lexus's. Provide the highest quality work and charge acordingly. I wonder if the people at BMW sit and worry about the folks at Kia.

F3Nelson
04-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Every industry has its lowballers. Some people drive VW's and some drive Lexus's. Provide the highest quality work and charge acordingly. I wonder if the people at BMW sit and worry about the folks at Kia.

Thats was brilliant, best response yet to the lowballers issue!!

milkie62
04-23-2008, 02:43 AM
Could not have said it better myself.Some people worry about low-ballers,some do not.I chuckle myself when I see a converted boat trailer with wooden sides that are ready to fall off and a Walmart rider and push mower on it.Then it is being pulled by a rusted out 1976 Ford pickup in need of a muffler.Every industry has its so called lowballers.In the long run the good ones remain.The only problem here is alot of people are looking to make some extra money.Mowing lawns is about the easiest way people think that they can pickup some extra money by doing a couple of 20 dollar lawns a night after work.I say there is room for everyone in the business---from the teenager mowing with a 20" pusher in the neighborhood,to the parent trying to make some extra money to put the kids through school,to the person that just got layed off,to the real pro looking guy in the group,and to the retired guy who needs to keep busy or is trying to make ends meet.MAYBE the ones doing the complaining about low ballers should look for another line of work......

jmr930
04-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Good post by milkie62. It will all work out in the end. The guy charging 20 bucks will do one of two things. Either he will just fade away because he's in it for the short term, or if he is doing quality work sooner or later he will feel that he is being taken advantage of and raise his prices. Customers worth keeping don't mind paying a fair price for a quality job. So called lowballers are often lowballing themselves. Why would you want to do a job for half what it is worth?

Atlantic Lawn
04-23-2008, 07:48 AM
There have always been lowballers, there just more noticeable in the spring.

ALC-GregH
04-23-2008, 09:18 AM
yeah, their like **** roaches.....

Jay Ray
04-23-2008, 10:03 AM
The first two commercail jobs I saw being worked yesterday were using Troy-Bilt Broncos. Next two were Craftsman, and not the better units, but the $899 and $999 units. Only one guy had a drop gate. I started wondering if I was crazy to invest what I have. But this is the fifth season and I have never had to leave a jobsite for repairs. 100% mission accomplished as planned with Exmark, Kawi, Stihl. I do keep up the maintenance religiously and go through every unit with a fine-tooth comb in the winter.

j05h22
04-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I like how we talk about low ballers like they are going to go away. The guy who is mowing for $20 may leave but there will be 100 more waiting to take his place.

Lawn-Sharks
04-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Lowballers are every where! more then less in my area are legit businesses and i dont spend time worrying about them (quality will prevail) I do worry about the none legal op guys charging full price and not paying for gl ins, workmans comp, business taxes, commercial auto ins Ect, because all of our operating cost goes up because they guys are causing damage to homes and breaking camp and are nowhere to be found to take responsibilty, also sueing home owners for getting hurt on their property. when home owners & insurance companys have to pay out for these claims the sh1t has to run down hill to somewhere? ...Just my thoughts